Were you born into your religion? (Excluding different denominations, ie Baptist-->Catholic)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Were you born into your religion? (Excluding different denominations, ie Baptist-->Catholic)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Excluding conversions from one denomination to another (such as converting from a Catholic to a Baptist, or converting from Reform Judaism to Orthodox Judaism), were you born into your religion?
Yes

No

n/a - irreligious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Were you born into your religion? (Excluding different denominations, ie Baptist-->Catholic)  (Read 1656 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »

?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:53:59 PM »

Born/baptized Catholic.

(Even attended Catholic school in 4th-5th-6th grades--which was actually pretty awesome.  And with the exception of mandatory Mass every Thursday wasn't even that "religious", and only about a third of the teachers were actually nuns)

I simply never swallowed.    

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 08:41:42 PM »

Yes in the literal sense. I am Episcopalian because both my parents converted when they were married.

Though I find it weird to call myself a "cradle Episcopalian" given my parents were such recent converts, and also given the fact that I wasn't really religious until the pandemic. I feel in some ways more like a convert than someone born into the denomination.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 02:21:48 AM »

The society where I was born into did not encourage anyone to practice any religion, so all members of my family were converts.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 09:30:56 AM »

no

I was born into a S.Baptist house, went to church 3 times a week for 19 years and at least once a week until I was 21.  It didn't stick.  I'm between agnostic and areligious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:33:25 PM »

I picked the third option, but neither of my parents were religious, and my Dad had no problem self identifying as an atheist. So in that sense I was "born" into my "irreligious" state.

People of faith have never bothered me however, even the evangelical types. Whatever works for folks is fine with me.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 02:36:20 PM »

Yes, in the truest sense.  My father and his ancestors before him were Lutheran due to originally being from a Protestant area of Prussia (Brandenburg), and so am I.  I assume "born into" means at least one parent, as my mom was surprisingly* raised Catholic, but I was raised Lutheran and only Lutheran from birth.

* I say surprisingly because her dad was 100% Swedish and grew up Lutheran.  My mom's mom was raised Catholic and raised my mom/her siblings as Catholic, and my mom's dad refused to go to those services.  I am not sure why exactly my maternal grandmother grew up Catholic, though.  Her ancestry is a hodge-podge of a lot of stuff, but the paternal line looks to be mostly English.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 03:55:31 PM »

Born, baptized, and confirmed Catholic. I admittedly harbor a lot of unresolved resentment towards my father for forcing me to engage in the usual expressions of faith (e.g. Bible study, Mass on Sunday, going to PREP on Mondays from 1st-7th grade) as literally anything else would’ve been a better use of my time. Foremost is going to the 4:00 Mass and PREP occasionally caused me to miss the end of Eagles games and the first period/quarter of Flyers/Sixers games respectively, but I digress.

I de-converted upon figuring out how to use the internet and falling down the Angry Ranting Youtuber rabbit hole most in my age cohort share, however I now espouse a much more tempered apatheism vis a vis the anti-theism of my teendom. My religious beliefs (or lack thereof) haven’t changed per se as much as become less important to my self-concept.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 12:13:08 AM »

Yes, in the truest sense.  My father and his ancestors before him were Lutheran due to originally being from a Protestant area of Prussia (Brandenburg), and so am I.  I assume "born into" means at least one parent, as my mom was surprisingly* raised Catholic, but I was raised Lutheran and only Lutheran from birth.

* I say surprisingly because her dad was 100% Swedish and grew up Lutheran.  My mom's mom was raised Catholic and raised my mom/her siblings as Catholic, and my mom's dad refused to go to those services.  I am not sure why exactly my maternal grandmother grew up Catholic, though.  Her ancestry is a hodge-podge of a lot of stuff, but the paternal line looks to be mostly English.
Even your mom would still answer as "yes" with the wording of the question.

For me yes.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 07:05:40 AM »

i was born to an antitheist, was raised agnostic, and have identified with hinduism for about six years; as a result of various complexities in that topic, there is arguably not any way for me to fairly answer the question as posed, but an outside observer would answer "no"
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 10:53:45 AM »

I wasn't raised on any religion, and I'm still not religious, though I'm a lot more tolerant of it than when I was a tween/teen.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 04:19:07 PM »

For me yes.

I mean, she is Lutheran now, though, and has been since my dad and she got married.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 04:24:36 PM »

For me yes.

I mean, she is Lutheran now, though, and has been since my dad and she got married.
Yes but the question specifically says inter-religion conversions which Catholic->Lutheran don't count.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 05:56:55 PM »

Option three. I was raised very secular with my parents coming from Catholic (on my dad's side) and Jewish on my mom's side. My mom's denomination within Judaism is hard to pin down since she too was raised very secular as was her mom. Her dad, meanwhile, was raised Orthodox however and hated it, thus why he raised his kids in a secular way.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »

The old one, yes.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 01:58:06 PM »

You would probably view my answer as "yes" based on how the poll is worded, but I'd say "no".  I didn't vote.

My dad is Catholic, and my mom was raised in a Baptist home, but is atheist herself.  I was technically raised Catholic, but it wasn't a huge part of our family life beyond sometimes going to services and receiving the sacraments.  But, I was never told what it meant to have a personal relationship with Jesus (which is what I believe the definition of Christian to be*).  I was then an atheist for several years as a teenager before becoming a Christian at 21.

*Based on this definition, I actually don't consider Catholicism to be Christianity, but I believe that some Catholics are Christians.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »

You would probably view my answer as "yes" based on how the poll is worded, but I'd say "no".  I didn't vote.

My dad is Catholic, and my mom was raised in a Baptist home, but is atheist herself.  I was technically raised Catholic, but it wasn't a huge part of our family life beyond sometimes going to services and receiving the sacraments.  But, I was never told what it meant to have a personal relationship with Jesus (which is what I believe the definition of Christian to be*).  I was then an atheist for several years as a teenager before becoming a Christian at 21.

*Based on this definition, I actually don't consider Catholicism to be Christianity, but I believe that some Catholics are Christians.

Catholics have emphasized personal relationship with Jesus Christ for decades, for centuries.

John Paul II talked about it. Benedict XVI has talked about it. Francis has promoted it.

https://cathedralctk.org/documents/2015/3/Pope%20Quotes%20on%20a%20Personal%20Relationship%20With%20Jesus%20Christ.pdf

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 07:33:19 AM »

But Catholics were the first denomination, no?
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 07:02:08 PM »

Yes
Georg Ebner
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 08:27:58 PM »

Externally no, because my milieu was post-Vat.II pseudoCatholicism and i had no idea of the surVival of the Latin Mass and it was tough to get out of something, that still had some glamour of true Catholicism&Christianity. Thus i can define me as a conVert. Especially, as i turned into absolute scepticism in my youth.

Though internally yes, because already in my childhood i was now and again aware, that i had to end there, where i am allowed to be now. Perhaps it was - like HUME - a not too bad taste, what saved me. Anima naturaliter Christiana...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 05:47:44 PM »

"Christian," even in your definition, is a very vague category.  Do you have a denomination?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 05:49:54 PM »

"Christian," even in your definition, is a very vague category.  Do you have a denomination?

I attend a non-denominational evangelical church, but my theology is most similar to that of a Baptist.
 I prefer a slightly more charismatic style of worship than some Baptists do, but I am very wary of hyper-charismatic churches at the same time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 08:25:26 PM »

No. My conversion began with a Billy Graham revival back in 1998, before most of you kids were even born. It concluded in 2012 after a pact between God and I.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 08:48:53 PM »

Not really, no.  I’m Episcolutheran.  My dad is Hindu, my mom was raised Lutheran, but became religiously flexible.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2023, 03:45:04 PM »

Born and raised Lutheran, but I resent my religious upbringing. I am now an atheist and will never be religious again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies