BREAKING: Witness Ben Barnes confirms Reagan campaign collusion with Tehran to delay hostage release
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Witness Ben Barnes confirms Reagan campaign collusion with Tehran to delay hostage release
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: BREAKING: Witness Ben Barnes confirms Reagan campaign collusion with Tehran to delay hostage release  (Read 2022 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2023, 10:49:54 PM »

In 1968, Nixon made a deal with South Vietnam to torpedo a peace agreement until after the election on the promise that the South would get a better deal with him. That one worked as well, and may even have decided the election.
And everyone knew about that too, it just didn't matter in the end because everything in America was a mess in 1968 and people wanted a return to the 1950's which Nixon promised.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 10:56:53 PM »

To me personally, this is interesting. As far as the "historical legacy" of Ronald Reagan, this is immaterial.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 12:40:58 AM »

Why on Earth would the Clintons still be friends with Kissinger if Nixon and Kissinger did actually sabotage the Paris Talks? They were against the Vietnam War. That's my big flaw with that theory. Plus, we don't hear Obama or Biden calling for his arrest, instead they ask him for advice.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:00 AM »

WASHINGTON — It has been more than four decades, but Ben Barnes said he remembers it vividly. His longtime political mentor invited him on a mission to the Middle East. What Mr. Barnes said he did not realize until later was the real purpose of the mission: to sabotage the re-election campaign of the president of the United States.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.

His mentor was John B. Connally Jr., a titan of American politics and former Texas governor who had served three presidents and just lost his own bid for the White House. A former Democrat, Mr. Connally had sought the Republican nomination in 1980 only to be swamped by former Gov. Ronald Reagan of California. Now Mr. Connally resolved to help Mr. Reagan beat Mr. Carter and in the process, Mr. Barnes said, make his own case for becoming secretary of state or defense in a new administration.

What happened next Mr. Barnes has largely kept secret for nearly 43 years. Mr. Connally, he said, took him to one Middle Eastern capital after another that summer, meeting with a host of regional leaders to deliver a blunt message to be passed to Iran: Don’t release the hostages before the election. Mr. Reagan will win and give you a better deal.

Then shortly after returning home, Mr. Barnes said, Mr. Connally reported to William J. Casey, the chairman of Mr. Reagan’s campaign and later director of the Central Intelligence Agency, briefing him about the trip in an airport lounge.

Mr. Carter’s camp has long suspected that Mr. Casey or someone else in Mr. Reagan’s orbit sought to secretly torpedo efforts to liberate the hostages before the election, and books have been written on what came to be called the October surprise. But congressional investigations debunked previous theories of what happened.

Mr. Connally did not figure in those investigations. His involvement, as described by Mr. Barnes, adds a new understanding to what may have happened in that hard-fought, pivotal election year. With Mr. Carter now 98 and in hospice care, Mr. Barnes said he felt compelled to come forward to correct the record.

Source (NYTimes)

And NOW this publicity seeker comes forward, forty-three years after the fact! Quite obviously, I'm calling BS on this. 

The New York Times is a rag anyway.  I might use it to wipe my you-know-what, but that's about it. 
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 01:32:30 AM »

If more Democratic (or Republican!) politicians speak up about this, whether former or current, I may consider this theory more. Same with the Nixon case. Until then I doubt this is true.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 01:36:25 AM »

If more Democratic (or Republican!) politicians speak up about this, whether former or current, I may consider this theory more. Same with the Nixon case. Until then I doubt this is true.

The Nixon case was proven.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 01:40:50 AM »

Why on Earth would the Clintons still be friends with Kissinger if Nixon and Kissinger did actually sabotage the Paris Talks? They were against the Vietnam War. That's my big flaw with that theory. Plus, we don't hear Obama or Biden calling for his arrest, instead they ask him for advice.

Kissinger really didnt get close to Nixon until after the election. He was mainly working for Rockefeller until then.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 03:54:24 AM »

So, Trump, Bush Jr, Bush Sr and Nixon are not the only Republican presidents to be traitors to the U.S.

Pretends to be shocked.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 04:17:45 AM »

So, Trump, Bush Jr, Bush Sr and Nixon are not the only Republican presidents to be traitors to the U.S.

Pretends to be shocked.

Yes yes lmao yes, respectively.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 06:10:29 AM »

You mean the hostages being released a few minutes after Reagan was sworn in as president wasn't a totally innocent coincidence? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think it depends on how savvy you think the Iranian Mullahs are. The one year anniversary of the hostage taking was the same day as the Presidential election (November 4 1979 and November 4, 1980.) It also seems hard to believe this was a coincidence. The Mullahs hated Carter for helping the Shah rather than have him face justice in Iran. They essentially believed Carter was arguing "my religion is better than your religion."

In this context, the timing of the release of the hostages would have been the Mullahs final humiliation of Carter.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 06:16:43 AM »

Jimmy Carter will get to not only outlive the two men who sabotaged his re-election (Ted Kennedy and Ronald Reagan), he will also get the satisfaction of being totally vindicated in the public eye before his death.

God bless you, Jimmy.

You were too good for us.

He was a good man, a mediocre president. Presidents have to deliver economically and have to be strong on the world stage. He didn't do that. Hence why Kennedy primaried him in 1980 and Reagan won in 1980 and 1984.

You think Carter could have ended the Cold War in the 80s?

Gorbachev ended the Cold War. Reagan was correct in recognizing this and throwing his hard line advisers like Richard Perle to the curb.

Gorbachev was appointed General Secretary of the Communist Party by the Politburo because he was perceived as being successful in improving agricultural production in the region that he mangaged prior to being appointed to the Politburo, and the Soviet Union was  experiencing an agricultural crisis. Any argument that Reagan forced Russia to concede defeat due to causing low oil prices or due to 'Star Wars' is false. The Soviet economy had collapsed and Gorbachev was willing to acknowledge it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2023, 06:59:16 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2023, 07:07:16 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Teddy Kennedy should of been the nomination he would have won CA and sealed Eday just like JFK wanted TX and FL in 1964 and didn't need TX or FL anyhow and would of won without it with CA against Goldwater same if RFK survive he would of won or helped HHH win CA anyways the EC map would look similar today except VA and CO would go R and WV would go D but we would get 270 more EC votes in Blue not red states

That's why Rs are locked out of the EC college today because of 247 plus VA, AZ or GA and win CO and NV

As I have said so many times CA not TX JFK could of made the same open limo in Los Angeles

FBI has knowledge Oswald was in Dallas and wanted to klll JFK, Parkland movie FBI said it was the biggest screw up that's why Ruby was allowed to kill Oswald, since Ruby was acquitted, Oswald could have been too

Blks voted for Teddy but whites just like Gore with Lewinsky voted against the inc due to Chap Acquitted and Mondale was a star of D party, Geraldine Ferraro hubby got caught in scandal that's why he lost big time in 1984
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2023, 07:21:54 AM »

Wait, some of you still subscribe to the conspiracy theory that this didn't happen? lmao
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2023, 07:29:47 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2023, 07:34:46 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Bush W dumped Saddam for an Iranian regime that's why NATO doesn't visit Iraq that much because Iran is helping Russia in War in Ukraine and that's not what the war was about it was about Democracy not installing an Iranian Puppet regime

Shias took over in that region
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2023, 08:17:04 AM »

It's f**king unbelievable that Republicans still get to brand themselves as the patriotic parties after three of their presidents in the past half-century were traitors.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2023, 09:50:53 AM »

Three of the past Republicans were elected following collusion with foreign powers, and a fourth was installed by the Supreme Court. There’s been one legitimately elected Republican president since Eisenhower. Deeply evil party.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »

From the NYT article:

None of that establishes whether Mr. Reagan knew about the trip, nor could Mr. Barnes say that Mr. Casey directed Mr. Connally to take the journey. Likewise, he does not know if the message transmitted to multiple Middle Eastern leaders got to the Iranians, much less whether it influenced their decision making. But Iran did hold the hostages until after the election, which Mr. Reagan won, and did not release them until minutes after noon on Jan. 20, 1981, when Mr. Carter left office.

The dots are not that well connected, and I am skeptical that the Reagan campaign was colluding to keep the hostages locked up until after the election, if only  because the risk reward ratio for the Reagan campaign sucked. If caught, it would have been curtains for them, and it would take only one foreign leader to spill the beans for it all to come tumbling down.

Too bad that at this point I guess just about all of those who would have been in the know to comment are dead.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2023, 10:52:24 AM »

It's f**king unbelievable that Republicans still get to brand themselves as the patriotic parties after three of their presidents in the past half-century were traitors.

This conspiracy theory has very little evidence and multiple investigations found it to be bunk
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2023, 11:02:58 AM »

I knew that there would be multiple OSR posts in this thread.

On a more serious note, it's not something that caught me by surprise at all. It's not that far away in terms of criminality than Nixon's sabotage of the Paris talks. That said, I don't think this could have prevented Carter from going down in the end, though he would have lost by a closer mergin. In 1968, though, Nixon would have lost.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2023, 11:04:52 AM »

It's almost like Reagan was a corrupt, traitorous piece of garbage, who would've thunk it?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »

How I would love to watch a revised version of the American Experience's documentary on Ronald Reagan with this explosive finding (newly confirmed) incorporated into it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »

This conspiracy theory has very little evidence and multiple investigations found it to be bunk

Is your stance that the hostages being released just moments after Reagan being sworn in is a coincidence?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:48 PM »

How I would love to watch a revised version of the American Experience's documentary on Ronald Reagan with this explosive finding (newly confirmed) incorporated into it.

This isn’t  close to confirmation that this happened as more detailed investigations found that it didn’t happen .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »

Is your stance that the hostages being released just moments after Reagan being sworn in is a coincidence?

Absolutely and multiple investigations showed that it was a coincidence  . The reason they were released right after Reagan was inaugurated was because the Iranians wanted to embarrass Carter one last time before he left .

Funny though how you guys act just like you accuse the other side of acting when results of investigations don’t suit your pre established narrative .

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2023, 12:39:23 PM »

Why on Earth would the Clintons still be friends with Kissinger if Nixon and Kissinger did actually sabotage the Paris Talks? ... That's my big flaw with that theory.

If anything, this is further confirmation of your theory? Even by the standards of politics (with all the vice, deceit, and manipulation it involves), the Clintons are a top contender for the most ghoulish political couple of 20th-century America. To borrow from Christopher Hitchens (I recommend watching the whole interview), Bill Clinton in particular can be aptly described as an "unusually ghastly" individual and the textbook case of a complete and utter psychopath.

The likes of Nixon and Kissinger are precisely who you’d expect the Clintons to keep company with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies