Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes?  (Read 1006 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:43:33 PM »

My moral objection to the death penalty stems from the risk of executing innocent people, which is not a factor here. Give him the meathooks!
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »

My moral objection to the death penalty stems from the risk of executing innocent people, which is not a factor here. Give him the meathooks!

So would you support the death penalty for instances where there was, say, video evidence of a particularly bad crime/murder?  Or do you also make an exception for what we have deemed to be war crimes?

I don't think there's a legal standard we can create that is more stringent than "beyond a reasonable doubt" that would include cases with video evidence and exclude cases without it. I oppose the death penalty for this reason.

The only executions I'm willing to tolerate are those carried out against violators of human rights, who committed those violations in a context where they felt they could act with impunity and therefore felt no need to conceal their crimes. This includes dictators, but I would also include slaveowners after the Civil War in this category. There's no credible dispute as to their guilt because when they did what they did, they considered it legal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies