Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Would you be in favor of executing Putin for his war crimes?  (Read 1011 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »

If Putin gets captured and deposed from power after a coup or military invasion from NATO, would you support giving him the death sentence for all of the crimes against humanity he’s committed?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »

I oppose the death penalty, so no. Just let him rot in jail.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 06:18:07 PM »

The definition of "too dangerous to be kept alive".
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 09:43:34 PM »

I oppose the death penalty but make an exception for war criminals, same way I would for the Nuremberg Trials.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 10:43:33 PM »

My moral objection to the death penalty stems from the risk of executing innocent people, which is not a factor here. Give him the meathooks!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 03:43:16 AM »

If somehow literally everything goes badly for him and he is found guilty of the death penalty in circumstances that are not in absentia, then if all that has happened then I guess I would be okay with that sentence being carried out.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 07:37:04 AM »

No. Never the death penalty for anybody.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 07:46:25 AM »

Besides, tyrants like Putin love taking the easy way out when they're held accountable for their crimes, so I wouldn't be surprised if he himself would prefer death over life in prison.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 11:25:54 AM »

Yup, this. Perhaps this is even a bigger punishment for him.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 11:49:14 AM »

I do support the death penalty for nazi criminals, to drive home the point of just how especially horrible the holocaust was, and for any event which is in the same tier.

Fourtunately, the Ukraine invasion isn't close to that, so Putin should just rot in jail his own life. It's a better fate for him anyway.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 01:31:42 PM »

Yes but he should also rot in a prison like GITMO first for a year
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:43 PM »

For the rest of his life, no chance at parole.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:47 PM »

Yeah, President Snow style, torn apart by the bare hands of the Russian and Ukrainian people
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 02:24:32 PM »

In the very unlikely scenario that Putin does get deposed and captured, I hope that the Dems are way to the right of Atlas Dems on this issue. Imagine how easy of a layup it would be for the GOP if a faction of Dems was protesting the execution of Putin
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »

I oppose the death penalty but make an exception for war criminals, same way I would for the Nuremberg Trials.
Why should serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmer get a second chance, but not Putin? Sure Putin has caused more damage than Dahmer, but that’s because he’s in a major position of power. Putin is a horrible person, but none of his actions are quite as morally depraved as Dahmer, who murdered and cannibalized dozens of people. I understand that your biggest reason for opposing the death penalty is because there’s a chance the person is innocent, but with cases like Putin and Dahmer, where there guilt is undeniable and their actions are reprehensible enough to justify a death sentence, there is no logical reason to not execute them.

I think that you should not only carve out an exception for war criminals, but also for mass murderers whose guilt is undeniable
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 07:12:19 AM »

Yes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 08:00:14 AM »

In the very unlikely scenario that Putin does get deposed and captured, I hope that the Dems are way to the right of Atlas Dems on this issue. Imagine how easy of a layup it would be for the GOP if a faction of Dems was protesting the execution of Putin

...I mean, in this scenario either he's tried by the ICC, which doesn't have the death penalty, or he's tried by a new regime in Russia. Russia currently has a moratorium on execution, but if a new post-Putin regime were to lift it that would be a domestic political decision and I doubt Democrats would care much either way. It would still be a wrong decision and would make me somewhat question the intentions of the post-Putin regime, though.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 10:33:37 AM »

Besides, tyrants like Putin love taking the easy way out when they're held accountable for their crimes, so I wouldn't be surprised if he himself would prefer death over life in prison.
Kind of reminds me of Abimael Guzmán, the leader of the Shining Path in Peru and probably one of the most evil people to ever live. But instead of some dramatic battlefield death he instead rotted away in a third world prison for almost 30 years and then died in 2021 as a feeble old man. Seems kind of a more punishing fate.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 12:04:41 PM »

Even if Putin has committed "war crimes", they are a small fraction of those from Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, who are now welcomed on Stephen Colbert's show.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »

My moral objection to the death penalty stems from the risk of executing innocent people, which is not a factor here. Give him the meathooks!

So would you support the death penalty for instances where there was, say, video evidence of a particularly bad crime/murder?  Or do you also make an exception for what we have deemed to be war crimes?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »

So would you support the death penalty for instances where there was, say, video evidence of a particularly bad crime/murder?  Or do you also make an exception for what we have deemed to be war crimes?

I don't think there's a legal standard we can create that is more stringent than "beyond a reasonable doubt" that would include cases with video evidence and exclude cases without it. I oppose the death penalty for this reason.

The only executions I'm willing to tolerate are those carried out against violators of human rights, who committed those violations in a context where they felt they could act with impunity and therefore felt no need to conceal their crimes. This includes dictators, but I would also include slaveowners after the Civil War in this category. There's no credible dispute as to their guilt because when they did what they did, they considered it legal.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 02:50:43 PM »

No, turn him over to the Hague. We do not need Putin becoming a martyr for Russian imperialists.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 07:15:21 PM »

I could get behind backing an assassination of him if it was probable that someone better would take over afterward (which it isn't at this point).

If he were captured for some reason just lock him up in the Hague or stick him in exile somewhere. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2023, 10:52:17 PM »

No, turn him over to the Hague. We do not need Putin becoming a martyr for Russian imperialists.

Keep him alive, and he's an asset to retrieve for other despots and imperialists, and he risks being returned back to power ala Napoleon...or even Mussolini.

These imperialists will just rally around him like a Left Coast leftist does Mumia Abu Jamal if he's just there for life.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 07:55:36 AM »

Keep him alive, and he's an asset to retrieve for other despots and imperialists, and he risks being returned back to power ala Napoleon...or even Mussolini.

These imperialists will just rally around him like a Left Coast leftist does Mumia Abu Jamal if he's just there for life.

None of whom were tried as combatants in front of an international tribunal, let alone convicted of war crimes. The Yugoslavian trials and Saddam’s hanging are the more relevant comparisons here.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies