Question for theists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:25:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Question for theists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for theists  (Read 573 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »

I can understand why people would believe that a supernatural entity exists, but what is it that makes you believe that your particular religion is the right one? For example, if you’re a Christian, what is it that makes you think that Christianity is more likely to be true than Hinduism? Why not just embrace deism?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:47:53 PM »

Because some people find more “accounts” of what said supernatural entity may be to be more convincing than others. The reasons behind this are complex, though.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 10:23:33 PM »

It's a truism, and one to which I adhere, that while it's fairly easy to get from observable reality to a generic theism through a reasoning process, and reasoned theology can be done based on any particular religion's core tenets, the middle step where one gets from a generic theism to any particular theistic religion is a less rational and more personal and, yes, cultural and emotional process. This is part of why I think that rigidly exclusivist soteriologies should be treated as prima facie unlikely to be correct.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »

Like Nathan said, my belief in why Christianity is the most true faith is personal and not totally rational. But I have found in the wake of what I have read on Christianity and what I have experienced in worship and learning brought me to a conclusion that is there is much truth from Christianity.

But I am not so deeply, utterly certain enough to say it is The Truth, so to speak.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »

I can understand why people would believe that a supernatural entity exists, but what is it that makes you believe that your particular religion is the right one? For example, if you’re a Christian, what is it that makes you think that Christianity is more likely to be true than Hinduism? Why not just embrace deism?

I think you underestimate how easily Deism and being technically a part of an organized religion can coexist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies