What states will elect the next opposite party Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:31:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What states will elect the next opposite party Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states will elect the next opposite party Governor?  (Read 666 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2023, 01:31:50 AM »
« edited: March 26, 2023, 01:35:08 AM by Spectator »

For the purposes of this question, I’m limiting “opposite party” states to states that were more than 5 points for the dominant party’s Presidential nominee in 2020. In that spirit, I am excluding close states like Nevada, North Carolina, and Georgia. So for this exercise, the current opposite party governorships are

For Republicans:

Vermont (Biden + 35)
Virginia (Biden +10)
New Hampshire (Biden +7)

For Democrats:

Kentucky (Trump +26)
Louisiana (Trump +19)
Kansas (Trump + 15)

My initial thoughts on this are that the most likely options would be somewhere like Oregon, South Carolina, Alaska, and Maine. I think there might be an outside shot at Mississippi later this year, but it is unclear just how exactly unpopular Tate Reeves is, although Brandon Presley has the kind of profile (on paper) that might be able to take advantage of an opportunity there.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 04:47:03 AM »

For the purposes of this question, I’m limiting “opposite party” states to states that were more than 5 points for the dominant party’s Presidential nominee in 2020. In that spirit, I am excluding close states like Nevada, North Carolina, and Georgia. So for this exercise, the current opposite party governorships are

For Republicans:

Vermont (Biden + 35)
Virginia (Biden +10)
New Hampshire (Biden +7)

For Democrats:

Kentucky (Trump +26)
Louisiana (Trump +19)
Kansas (Trump + 15)

My initial thoughts on this are that the most likely options would be somewhere like Oregon, South Carolina, Alaska, and Maine. I think there might be an outside shot at Mississippi later this year, but it is unclear just how exactly unpopular Tate Reeves is, although Brandon Presley has the kind of profile (on paper) that might be able to take advantage of an opportunity there.
Vermont is lost after Phil Scott stops, Virginia actually has hope to stay R if another Youngkin R runs (and Youngkin ran the state well as it seems as of now). NH is wjatever. 

Kentucky seems to be a D hold while the other two are both flips.

New York seems close to one considering 2022 results. Maybe Iowa or Ohio could get a moderate D.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 09:27:23 AM »

New York seems close to one considering 2022 results.

If anything, I think NJ is more likely than NY considering Jack got closer than Zeldin and Murphy was arguably stronger than Hochul.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »

If anything, I think NJ is more likely than NY considering Jack got closer than Zeldin and Murphy was arguably stronger than Hochul.
You're referring to the 2021 election right?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 11:16:51 AM »

Both are extraordinarily unlikely
Spectator
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 03:17:02 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2023, 03:21:41 PM by Spectator »

For Republicans:

Vermont (Biden + 35)
Virginia (Biden +10)
New Hampshire (Biden +7)

For Democrats:

Kentucky (Trump +26)
Louisiana (Trump +19)
Kansas (Trump + 15)

Vermont is lost after Phil Scott stops, Virginia actually has hope to stay R if another Youngkin R runs (and Youngkin ran the state well as it seems as of now). NH is wjatever.  

Kentucky seems to be a D hold while the other two are both flips.

New York seems close to one considering 2022 results. Maybe Iowa or Ohio could get a moderate D.

I actually think aside from Kentucky being that Kansas is the most likely of the *current* opposite party governorships to be retained. Probably not happening, but the thing that gives me pause is the wild card that is Kris Kobach probably running again (being the sitting AG will give him a lot of prominence again for a primary).

Vermont is obviously a goner once Scott retires. He’s the last of his breed. It’s hard for me to see lightning strike twice in Virginia. New Hampshire seems to like Chris Sununu and no other Republican. Louisiana is Louisiana. And Beshear is probably the last Democrat we are elected in Kentucky in our lifetimes. That leaves Kansas. On top of the Kobach variable, Kansas is the only of these six states that is trending in the direction of the opposite party.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »

There's at least 50/50 shot that it will be us in New Jersey if Biden is still in the White House.
kwabbit

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 05:02:35 PM »

Both are extraordinarily unlikely

Ciattarelli has a legitimate chance of winning in 2025 provided that Biden is in the White House. It's certainly possible that he wins if Sweeney or Gottheimer is the Democratic nominee, although I doubt he would beat Sherill or Fulop.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies