If Trump is indicted how does it affect his chances in the general?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:05:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Trump is indicted how does it affect his chances in the general?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: How does a Trump indictment help his chance in the general?
Helps a lot

Helps a little

No effect

Hurts a little

Hurts a lot

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: If Trump is indicted how does it affect his chances in the general?  (Read 2269 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2023, 05:46:28 PM »

It helps him in the primary since he'll be even more of a martyr to the base now.

In the general, I actually think it will hurt him. And that will be compounded if his cultists actually do end up engaging in violence again.

Before the 2022 midterms occurred it was largely assumed that the aftermath of the insurrection or Trump's role in the classified documents scandal wouldn't matter to voters when it came to voting for election denying Republicans only for them to be resoundingly rejected in the majority of cases. Furthermore, I have to imagine that the attack on Paul Pelosi mere days before the elections reinforced those attitudes in voting booths across the nation. Americans did care about all that and weren't as short-sided as I had expected them to be, and that will probably be true again in 2024. Sure, maybe not as many Americans will care or remember as they should, but it will be a consideration for plenty when given the choice to put him back in the White House or not.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2023, 12:31:25 AM »

It’s not changing any minds. People might get more and more tired of his sh**t, and that probably accounts for what I expect to be a 2-3 point swing against him in a rematch. I think part of that swing would include older conservatives aging out of the electorate

Why would you vote for him in the primary?

It’s better than the alternative who is a chameleon that modeled his entire identity on mimicking Trump.

Really? I don’t see how a Kemp fan would like Trump more than DeSantis while also hating Trump.

I’m neutral on Kemp. Just preference him over Abrams in a binary vacuum. Even considering that, there is world of difference between the way Kemp conducts himself versus DeSantis. Kemp is conservative, but he doesn’t go out of his way to be an obnoxious jackass about whatever supposed “woke” crisis of the day abounds. The faux outrage from DeSantis is beyond old at this point.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2023, 02:58:55 AM »

It’s not changing any minds. People might get more and more tired of his sh**t, and that probably accounts for what I expect to be a 2-3 point swing against him in a rematch. I think part of that swing would include older conservatives aging out of the electorate

It’s better than the alternative who is a chameleon that modeled his entire identity on mimicking Trump.

Really? I don’t see how a Kemp fan would like Trump more than DeSantis while also hating Trump.

I’m neutral on Kemp. Just preference him over Abrams in a binary vacuum. Even considering that, there is world of difference between the way Kemp conducts himself versus DeSantis. Kemp is conservative, but he doesn’t go out of his way to be an obnoxious jackass about whatever supposed “woke” crisis of the day abounds. The faux outrage from DeSantis is beyond old at this point.

DeSantis is an obnoxious jackass but Trump isn’t?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2023, 04:35:54 AM »

DeSantis is an obnoxious jackass but Trump isn’t?

Read the whole chain.
nfvlmv
Rookie
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2023, 12:51:43 PM »

Depends on who is indicting him. I don't think it helps him if it's state level, but if the Feds do so, it could spiral into retaliatory assassinations of at least Garland (and possibly both Biden/Harris) with the full support of the Republican Party (which, I think is the main reason the Justice Department will not indict Trump. Merrick Garland would rather not be followed around by armed guards everywhere he goes, and he'd certainly rather not be murdered by a MAGA Republican if he ever goes out in public).

It is so sad we have let the Republicans intimidate public officials and Americans. I'm tempted to say they're beholden to the MAGA faction of the party, but look at all the supposed "moderate Republicans" leaping to spin a possible indictment as politically driven. There are no good faith Republicans left in the party. They were all ousted by the radicals.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies