NY: Trump on Trial!

<< < (283/435) > >>

Angel of Death:
Quote from: ηєω ƒяσηтιєя on June 08, 2023, 07:30:42 PM

If Trump even spends one day in prison for any of his crimes, then it would be one of the greatest things to happen in American history.

Hopefully, he serves at the very least a year in prison.

I still don't see Trump serving even one day in federal prison, even with a Democratic president. The pressure the latter will be under to pardon, let alone commute, Trump for the supposed "good of the country" would be enormous and I definitely don't see a centrist like Biden withstanding it. It's just like with the former Confederate leaders and Nixon.

Yoda:
Quote from: Koharu on June 09, 2023, 08:04:45 AM

Quote from: GeorgiaModerate on June 09, 2023, 07:12:51 AM

Quote from: TheTide on June 09, 2023, 03:17:57 AM

Quote from: Fubart Solman on June 09, 2023, 12:18:47 AM

My aunt compared Trump to Nelson Mandela in case you’re still wondering how octogenarians think.

I'd say it only shows, if it shows anything, how your aunt thinks. I'm sure I've made some quirky comparisons, but I'm not going to claim that they are representative of all 20-somethings.

Yeah, one person is not representative of a whole generation.  Counterexample to the OP: my mother lived into her 80s and was a staunch Republican her whole life, but she despised Donald Trump.  She voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020, while voting straight R downballot.  (Her 2020 vote was both pro-Biden and anti-Trump; she quite liked Biden, as did many of the other residents in her assisted living home.)

Yep, exactly. Another one: My dad is 85 and he voted for Obama in 2008 & 2012 after a lifetime of being a Republican (whereas I, in my 20s, voted for McCain and Gary Johnson lol). He primaried for Bernie in 2016 (and voted for Hillary) and has been a hard-core Democrat in these last few years. He particularly hates Trump, too.

Wow, this describes my dad to a T.

TheReckoning:
Quote from: ProudModerate2 on June 08, 2023, 07:11:28 PM

Quote from: TheReckoning on June 08, 2023, 07:06:02 PM

If Trump could be prosecuted for mishandling classified documents, couldn’t Biden and Pence be as well?

Technically, they could, but they will not.
They did not willfully take and/or hide documents from the Feds.
They immediately admitted to having some, and invited federal authorities to check their storage areas for the possibility of other documents that were stored by them in error.
This is a Day-And-Night difference between what the Orange Buffoon did.

That’s dumb. If they mishandled classified documents, they should be indicted.

If you commit a crime and co-operate with police, your sentence MAY be lessened, but you will still be charged with a crime.

Landslide Lyndon:
Quote from: TheReckoning on June 09, 2023, 02:00:51 PM

If Trump could be prosecuted for mishandling classified documents, couldn’t Biden and Pence be as well?

They immediately admitted to having some, and invited federal authorities to check their storage areas for the possibility of other documents that were stored by them in error.

If you commit a crime and co-operate with police, your sentence MAY be lessened, but you will still be charged with a crime.

You can thank me later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

brucejoel99:
Quote from: TheReckoning on June 09, 2023, 02:00:51 PM

I can already tell that this is gonna have to be said over & over again through the end of proceedings & beyond since it's already been repeated ad nauseum in relation to both the Hillary case & this very case over the last 10 months, but the standard is willful mishandling; you can't ignore inconvenient words like that just because you (politically) don't like them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page