Most widely hated countries on earth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:54:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Most widely hated countries on earth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most widely hated countries on earth  (Read 2018 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »

Depends on the region, I guess.

America and Israel are obviously more hated in the Arab world than in Europe, for instance.

If we go by the traditional "most trustworthy partner" question in German opinion polling, China is currently the country that is viewed with the greatest "suspicion" in Germany, closely followed by Russia.
France usually tends to win here, followed by the UK and/or - at the moment - America. The United States tends to oscillate between extremes pretty hard here, depending on who is President at any given moment (that seems to be a phenomenon that started with Dubya though since his father was fairly popular around here).

Personally I try to not hate countries, but governments. Of course some governments have existed for so long that it is hard not to conflate the two. I guess North Korea has no legitimate reason the exist as a country outside of its role as a personal fiefdom for the Kim family, so one could say that I "hate" North Korea.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 11:13:48 AM »

1. France
2. North Korea
3. Iran
4. Belgium
5. Lebanon
6. Russia
7. China
8. Serbia
9. Saudi Arabia
10. Zimbabwe
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 02:01:21 PM »

China will become increasingly hated.  Countries such as Sri Lanka and Zambia already resent the killer loans.  The Islamic World will get upset by the the mistreatment of Uighurs, as they learn more about it.  Just wait.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 02:56:08 PM »

The United States is absolutely hated by almost all Spanish-speaking people and more or less plays the role of Russia with Ukraine in Latin America. Being an "Anglophile" in the Hispanic world or Africa is basically a condemnation of political marginality.   
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 03:04:06 PM »

Google lead me to several lists and they're all basically the same:
1.Russia
2.PRC
3.USA
4.Saudi Arabia
5.N.Korea
6.Pakistan
7.Israel
8.Iraq
0.Iran
10.Germany

Germany? I remember once reading that Germany was the most admired country in the world.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 03:22:19 PM »

Well there was a time when that definitely was not the case.....
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 09:14:01 PM »

Has to be Russia currently surely?

Obviously the US as the biggest, most powerful nation in the world will always attract a lot of resentment

Surely - not. In the West - yes, but worldwide (given that "the West" is about 1/7 or 1/6 of world population) - much more people hates US then Russia. And US role as a "West (with claims to "world") leader" only increases this number..

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »

Obviously the US as the biggest, most powerful nation in the world will always attract a lot of resentment

Surely - not. In the West - yes, but worldwide (given that "the West" is about 1/7 or 1/6 of world population) - much more people hates US then Russia. And US role as a "West (with claims to "world") leader" only increases this number..

Is this measuring attitudes towards Pakistan? China?
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 09:49:19 PM »

Opinion of the United States, actually.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 09:54:00 PM »

Opinion of the United States, actually.
A bit surprised Japan isn't even deeper blue. I've only came across a few Japanese people online who hate America.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2023, 12:32:39 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2023, 12:39:22 AM by smoltchanov »

Well, if you add China, Indonesia, Pakistan and Russia - it's already about 2 billion people. And no data for a LOT of big countries - it could easily go to 4 billion... Add to this, that vast majority of "third world" people doesn't know or desn't care about Russia - Ukraine conflict, and thus - does NOT hates Russia because of it, and - .....
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2023, 01:35:40 AM »

Well, if you add China, Indonesia, Pakistan and Russia - it's already about 2 billion people. And no data for a LOT of big countries - it could easily go to 4 billion... Add to this, that vast majority of "third world" people doesn't know or desn't care about Russia - Ukraine conflict, and thus - does NOT hates Russia because of it, and - .....

Eh. If you look at the general trends in Africa I see no reason that the others would be any different.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2023, 02:36:48 AM »

Eh. If you look at the general trends in Africa I see no reason that the others would be any different.
Not impossible a not-insignificant number of Africans approve of both America and Russia.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2023, 07:58:22 AM »

According to my sources, it's Slovenia. Nobody likes those guys.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2023, 08:40:38 AM »

According to my sources, it's Slovenia. Nobody likes those guys.

At least - i like this country a lot. Had Slovenian friend for almost 30 years, visited twice, and like to call it "Slavic Switzerland". Beautiful country)))
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2023, 10:41:06 AM »

Curious that Argentina dislikes the US so much?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2023, 01:13:51 AM »

Curious that Argentina dislikes the US so much?

Bad (and still fairly fresh, unlike in a lot of other South American countries) history with the World Bank and the IMF.

During decolonization the UK might have been a top contender here, but these days I don't think that sentiment is particularly salient outside India, parts of the Caribbean, and a certain kind of American leftist without much of a sense of proportion.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2023, 02:18:20 PM »

I don't think that anyone hates Saudi Arabia.

what
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2023, 03:06:26 PM »

That so obviously screams "*I* don't hate them" even more loudly than such claims normally do.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2023, 11:58:15 PM »

I can see the case for the US, but I think this is exaggerated by American and western public opinion. I mean, when someone in the third world decides to leave their home for a better life, the US is usually the most attractive destination. Obviously there are regional variations, driven by things like lingua franca and proximity. There are some really weird phenomenon too like Punjabi Indians being strangely infatuated by Canada (kind of a tangent, but it's really remarkable - Punjabis make up 2% of India but more than half of Canada's Indian population. Canada also has 3x more Punjabis than the US, despite the latter obviously having a larger Indian population writ-large).

But just based on revealed preferences, clearly people don't hate America as much as we think if they're willing to drop everything to move there, especially when the US is far from the only developed western country with a high standard of living, especially considering there are countries with better standards of living with softer immigration laws, and yet are less attractive.

It's always worth noting that most people aren't very political. Between taking a principled stance against the US because of some CIA coup during the Nixon administration vs drastically improving your living standards, most people will easily choose the latter.

The other thing is, while the population of many countries may hate the US (even on a surface level), the governments mostly don't. The middle east (save Israel obviously) is a part of the world that has very unfavourable opinions of the US. But with some exceptions like Iran and Syria, Middle Eastern governments begrudgingly kowtow to the US. Obviously, the US is the most powerful country in the world, but it's actually a pretty reliable partner. A tsunami hits some pacific island that most Americans have never heard of, and within hours the US state department is sending humanitarian aid. Uncle Sam expects you to respect his geo-strategic interests, but news flash, every superpower does that. But more often than not, he does put his money where his mouth is, when it comes to supporting his allies.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2023, 12:09:05 AM »

I can see the case for the US, but I think this is exaggerated by American and western public There are some really weird phenomenon too like Punjabi Indians being strangely infatuated by Canada (kind of a tangent, but it's really remarkable - Punjabis make up 2% of India but more than half of Canada's Indian population. Canada also has 3x more Punjabis than the US, despite the latter obviously having a larger Indian population writ-large).

As far as I know, this is basically just network effects: employers in British Columbia recruited in the Punjab in the early twentieth century and the resulting Punjabi population made Canada a desirable destination for future Sikh emigrants.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2023, 04:44:47 PM »

That so obviously screams "*I* don't hate them" even more loudly than such claims normally do.

Yeah, and importantly, a lot of Saudis hate Saudi Arabia, hence the violent and widespread repression of any protest or more muted criticism and the increasingly large Saudi diaspora (many of them political exiles, many of them young women fleeing their families, many others simply recognizing that there’s nothing good for them there).

Note that the Saudi government punishes people by preventing them from leaving. They tried to do this in the early 90s with Osama bin Laden by taking his passport but a sympathetic prince helped smuggle him out after which he went to Pakistan, then Sudan for several years (during which time the Saudis revoked his citizenship altogether) before Sudan, under pressure from the US and Saudi governments, forced him to leave in 1996, after which he finally relocated to Afghanistan and bought protection from the Taliban. Bin Laden, for his part, increasingly referred to the Kingdom as “the Arabian Peninsula” or “the Land of the Holy Places” which had been corrupted by sleazy US-supported autocrats (which, show me the lie).

Basically almost everyone has a reason to hate Saudi Arabia, lol.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2023, 10:14:57 PM »

Yeah, and importantly, a lot of Saudis hate Saudi Arabia, hence the violent and widespread repression of any protest or more muted criticism and the increasingly large Saudi diaspora (many of them political exiles, many of them young women fleeing their families, many others simply recognizing that there’s nothing good for them there).

Note that the Saudi government punishes people by preventing them from leaving. They tried to do this in the early 90s with Osama bin Laden by taking his passport but a sympathetic prince helped smuggle him out after which he went to Pakistan, then Sudan for several years (during which time the Saudis revoked his citizenship altogether) before Sudan, under pressure from the US and Saudi governments, forced him to leave in 1996, after which he finally relocated to Afghanistan and bought protection from the Taliban. Bin Laden, for his part, increasingly referred to the Kingdom as “the Arabian Peninsula” or “the Land of the Holy Places” which had been corrupted by sleazy US-supported autocrats (which, show me the lie).

Basically almost everyone has a reason to hate Saudi Arabia, lol.

I hate Saudi Arabia’s social policies, but have a relatively high opinion of their economic policies. Similar to how I view the PRC.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies