Strattera (ADHD medication)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:38:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Strattera (ADHD medication)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Strattera (ADHD medication)  (Read 655 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2023, 12:33:04 AM »

I may be starting Straterra. I've never taken any ADHD meds before if you don't count caffeine. I was only diagnosed a few years ago. 
Straterra, I'm told, is a bit different from some other ADHD meds because it is not a stimulant. I'm not sure exactly how it works though.

Anyone have any experience taking it, or another ADHD drug?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 05:56:33 AM »

I took Straterra at some point many years ago. I was diagnosed with ADHD (without hyperactivity, so technically just ADD) and put on some medication, and my grades throughout high school were very good. Sadly I can't remember if that was Straterra or not...

I was "un-diagnosed" with ADD by the same psychologist who diagnosed me with autism, mistakenly (in my opinion) suggesting that anxiety was the cause of my attention deficit, but I didn't and still don't really buy it. Autism and ADHD/ADD have overlapping symptoms, and having one of these conditions increases your chances of having the other as well.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »

Interestingly, Morfydd Clark who plays the (relatively) younger Galadriel in the Rings of Power is diagnosed with ADHD.  That's partly why she never finished school before becoming an actor. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »

I may be starting Straterra. I've never taken any ADHD meds before if you don't count caffeine. I was only diagnosed a few years ago.  
Straterra, I'm told, is a bit different from some other ADHD meds because it is not a stimulant. I'm not sure exactly how it works though.

Anyone have any experience taking it, or another ADHD drug?

I started taking Ritalin at the end of Law School for ADHD in what was considered by the medical establishment to be an extraordinary high dose because of the anticipated high side effects. However, I was fortunate enough to get in with a psychiatrist who had done actual studies unlike the rest of the profession as to individuals taking such high dosages through the University of pittsburgh, and discover that the anticipated negative side effects did not manifest themselves, whereas the increased dosage in resulted in much greater efficacy of positive effects. I was living proof with that and went from having essentially untreated ADHD leaving me with a rather mediocre law school GPA to finishing the top 1% Statewide in criminal law and hot quarter overall on the bar exam within a few months. Trust me when I say there was an absolute direct correlation.

I currently take Concerta at a reasonably High dosage. Doing so is honestly fundamental to my ability to function professionally and to a degree personally with other people and maintaining focus on my heavy workload. I can't encourage you strongly enough, my friend, to follow up on this, and do not be afraid of encouraging your prescriber to permit higher dosages. If it doesn't work or has some weird effects you can always cut back. Just make sure not to take it too late in the afternoon or morning depending on your dosage hot - I have to do it in the morning since I have a single delayed release tablet - or it will mess up your sleep schedule a little. But that's easily manageable.

For your own sake, please please do not avoid it
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »

If you are concerned, I would tell you to ask your practitioner if there is genetic testing to determine what sort of meds would be effective for your and which would not be.  My son had ADHD and was on Vyvance, which was supposed to work all day, but he really only got a 1/2 a school day out of it.  He's not on meds now, and he's homeschooled.  I can't say that the Vyvance worked real well for him, but others have had their kids take it and say it was a Godsend.  Ask your practitioner if Genetic testing could be used to determine the most effective medication for you, or if any medications would be ineffective for you.  I know just enough to know that someone's anecdotal evidence may be true for them, but may not prove true for you.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 09:47:00 AM »

I know someone who very recently started Strattera.  Her therapist warned her that patients often suffered side effects, especially nausea, in the first 2-3 days after starting the drug but then it quickly settled down, and that it could take up to 4 weeks to be fully effective.  She avoided the nausea but felt very loopy and tired the first day, a little bit the second day, and not at all after that.  It's too soon to tell if it's effective in treating her ADHD.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 06:54:28 PM »

I know someone who very recently started Strattera.  Her therapist warned her that patients often suffered side effects, especially nausea, in the first 2-3 days after starting the drug but then it quickly settled down, and that it could take up to 4 weeks to be fully effective.  She avoided the nausea but felt very loopy and tired the first day, a little bit the second day, and not at all after that.  It's too soon to tell if it's effective in treating her ADHD.

Also GOP: even though it's not a stimulant, be wary of appetite loss.  In my experiences, it tends to be a less common side effect than with drugs such as Adderall and Ritalin.  But be sure that you're eating.  I've encountered individuals on ADHD medications who go twenty-four hours (or more) without any sort of caloric intake. 

Just because you're not hungry doesn't mean your body doesn't need fuel! Smiley
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 06:57:22 PM »

Also GOP

Atlas Moment
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 07:07:29 AM »

I was on Strattera some as a kid, though it didn't work well for me personally. Vyvanse. however, worked and works great, and I'm grateful my psychiatrist let me try going back on it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 11:04:14 AM »

I started taking Ritalin [in] Law School ... in what was considered by the medical establishment to be an extraordinary high dose
yes, many such cases

I was fortunate enough to get in with a psychiatrist
the prescription part, however, is somewhat more rare
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 12:41:05 PM »

To follow up on this: she's been on the Strattera for about three weeks now, and it's made a very noticeable and very positive difference in how she feels and her ability to focus.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 12:59:24 AM »

I have never taken Strattera, but my friend is on it and it has changed his mood, anxiety levels, and demeanor in a strikingly positive way.

Personally I am on Focalin in a fairly low dose, because I'm super sensitive to medication in general. But when I tell you it has been the single biggest quality of life improvement I have ever had, I mean it. ADHD is a b*tch and you don't even realize how negatively your life is being affected until you start experiencing what it feels like for your brain to calm down, shut up, and let you do things. You will not regret seeking treatment for your ADHD - every single person I know who has says it is life changing.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 01:01:21 AM »

No, because I've never been formally diagnosed with ADHD (though I do suspect it)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 01:49:11 PM »

I tried taking it for a couple days and the side effects sucked. May try again soon for longer when I don't have as much going on.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »

I’ve quit taking meds and have been off of them for several years. It is that I am simply not a good candidate for medication. I’m trying neurobiofeedback now and see if I get anything out of that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies