Confirmation Hearing: Razze for VP (Approved)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Razze for VP (Approved)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Razze for VP (Approved)  (Read 1238 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2023, 09:19:36 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2023, 12:09:50 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Confirmation hearing is now open.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:58:01 AM »

Friends, Atlasians, senators - lend me your eyeballs. I am grateful to have the opportunity to once again serve our country - for the first time in a long time!

Thank you to President Tack, nuestro excelentísimo señor presidente, for nominating me to be vice president of Atlasia. I promise to be a capable #2 who will get the job done with diligence and patience.

Our country has been through a rough last couple of weeks, featuring drama, name-calling, and even harassment nearly approaching the levels once seen in the former United States of America. Seeing the state of things, you can be assured that I will not answer to any clique or faction or political party.

In the midst of the recent conflict over cliques and factionalism, many of you saw first-hand as I maintained friendly contact with colleagues of various stripes and tried to bring everyone "back down to Earth" as often as I could. I am proud of my own (and, if I may say so, my party's) independence in matters of partisan politics.

The most important considerations, however, are with the constitutional duties of the job, and not petty politics. In the past, I was Dean of the Old House of Representatives, and served as the chamber's Speaker for 1 month. As such, I performed a role very similar to the vice presidency of the 5th Republic.

With that experience, know that the vice presidency will be in good hands. Senators, I hope each of you will consider my nomination and trust that I will do a good job as vice president.

☮︎
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 08:13:43 PM »

Thank you, Razze, for providing this opening statement. It is appreciated that you have already touched on your tenure as Dean and Speaker of the House.

In the interest of public debate and to promote a fair hearing, I would like to put forward a question.  As you know, the current makeup of the Senate reflects a concerning degree of divisiveness. It is entirely possible that your role as President of the Senate will be highly significant should we face tied votes on legislation. Could you please speak to your experience as a consequential decision-maker in Congress, or in any other professional role, and how you can best ensure that factionalism and party affiliation will not play a role in your duties as VP?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 08:50:19 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2023, 09:52:37 PM by West_Midlander »

Thank you, Razze, for providing this opening statement. It is appreciated that you have already touched on your tenure as Dean and Speaker of the House.

In the interest of public debate and to promote a fair hearing, I would like to put forward a question.  As you know, the current makeup of the Senate reflects a concerning degree of divisiveness. It is entirely possible that your role as President of the Senate will be highly significant should we face tied votes on legislation. Could you please speak to your experience as a consequential decision-maker in Congress, or in any other professional role, and how you can best ensure that factionalism and party affiliation will not play a role in your duties as VP?

Can you elaborate on this?
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 09:59:59 AM »

Thank you for your question. I don't think the appearance of division needs to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Following the acrimony of last month, I think we should all actually be grateful that we are faced with a nearly equally divided Congress – the people of Atlasia have decided that we, the politicians, should be forced to work together harmoniously despite our personal issues. This is for the greater good of the country we all serve (read: game we all play).

You all know that I hold strong opinions. Each of you, especially the ones who have had disagreements with me in the past, should remember that I am honest about those feelings. I don't plan on getting on my soapbox every week to talk about the issues of the day like I once did, but you can be sure that if I'm asked, you'll get an honest answer. I am an independent voice, and in the case of a tie, I will vote with my own personal beliefs in mind, not for the purposes of promoting "my team," or to win political points against the "other team."
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:27:42 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2023, 11:34:35 AM by West_Midlander »

Reiterating my previous comments:

As a Senator, I can't support razze's nomination.

Razze has too many qualities in contradiction with the original running mate, Laki. Laki, for example, is willing to compromise and support candidates across the political spectrum if he considers them a good choice. He is a leftist, like razze, but in terms of supporting legislation and carrying out his duties, he (Laki) does this in earnest with an open mind, instead of coming out of the woodwork to just toe the party (Labor-in-all-but-name) line. And I know that razze has historically been in Peace but a partisan label doesn't mean everything; you can be in Peace, as the majority of Peace of old was, and be completely beholden to Labor. However, I am looking forward to my former party shaking off that legacy which it has made strong efforts to do as of late.

Peace should be for Peace. This is a statement echoed by many of the party's present-day roster.

This is still very relevant.

It's one thing to say you'll...[be independent]...and most people say they will...[be but a large amount of the time this is just talk].
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 11:35:47 AM »

You mean the President's bursting onto the campaign trail attacking his political opposition, as a whole, right?
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 01:22:58 PM »

I'm sorry you feel like you can't trust me. All I can do is reiterate that I will act with an open mind and as an independent voice – I hope you will eventually be able to see that I mean it. Feel free to contact me privately if you need.

You mean the President's bursting onto the campaign trail attacking his political opposition, as a whole, right?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're referring to here specifically. Does this refer to Tack engaging in political attacks and campaigning while running for president? That's his right, as well as yours and mine and every other citizen.

By acrimony, I meant the personal attacks and harassment by various politicians from all corners of the spectrum, all of whom I have publicly and called out before in other threads, and who I have privately spoken to in attempts to get us all to stop fighting so harshly. I believe this shows my consistency. I want us to get back to political simulation again, like we all signed up for, and like I used to enjoy back when I was someone who ran for office. Thank you for asking a question!!
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »

In the interest of public debate and to promote a fair hearing, I would like to put forward a question.  As you know, the current makeup of the Senate reflects a concerning degree of divisiveness. It is entirely possible that your role as President of the Senate will be highly significant should we face tied votes on legislation. Could you please speak to your experience as a consequential decision-maker in Congress, or in any other professional role, and how you can best ensure that factionalism and party affiliation will not play a role in your duties as VP?

Thank you for your question. I don't think the appearance of division needs to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Following the acrimony of last month, I think we should all actually be grateful that we are faced with a nearly equally divided Congress – the people of Atlasia have decided that we, the politicians, should be forced to work together harmoniously despite our personal issues. This is for the greater good of the country we all serve (read: game we all play).

You all know that I hold strong opinions. Each of you, especially the ones who have had disagreements with me in the past, should remember that I am honest about those feelings. I don't plan on getting on my soapbox every week to talk about the issues of the day like I once did, but you can be sure that if I'm asked, you'll get an honest answer. I am an independent voice, and in the case of a tie, I will vote with my own personal beliefs in mind, not for the purposes of promoting "my team," or to win political points against the "other team."

Thank you for this response. Much appreciated.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »

I had some concerns, similar to those that others have expressed, and after talking privately with Razze I think he'll be a fine Vice President who will help detoxify the problems in Nyman.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:39 PM »

I'm sorry you feel like you can't trust me. All I can do is reiterate that I will act with an open mind and as an independent voice – I hope you will eventually be able to see that I mean it. Feel free to contact me privately if you need.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're referring to here specifically. Does this refer to Tack engaging in political attacks and campaigning while running for president? That's his right, as well as yours and mine and every other citizen.

By acrimony, I meant the personal attacks and harassment by various politicians from all corners of the spectrum, all of whom I have publicly and called out before in other threads, and who I have privately spoken to in attempts to get us all to stop fighting so harshly. I believe this shows my consistency. I want us to get back to political simulation again, like we all signed up for, and like I used to enjoy back when I was someone who ran for office. Thank you for asking a question!!

The post was in reference to Tack's basically calling all Federalists, besides Cao, bad people. He isn't a unifier as President by any means and I believe that if you're blind to his positioning, you must be either willingly ignorant or complicit in his divisive policies. How can you support this division and claim to be independent? Sure, he could attack on the substance of policy, but this was on the back burner for Tack and only expanded upon (barely) when asked about. He casts non-Laborites with a broad brush because it's easier than defining what he disagrees with us on politically.

Cap is an honourable man. But many Federalists are not
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 05:24:04 PM »

I had some concerns, similar to those that others have expressed, and after talking privately with Razze I think he'll be a fine Vice President who will help detoxify the problems in Nyman.
Thank you, I appreciate it. That will be exactly my goal in Nyman.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 06:31:48 PM »

Its naive to think factionalism and party affiliation will not play a role as your duty as P and VP when it already does.

With tack50 as president or presidential candidate before, i never had for a single moment the feeling that tack50 was president instead of a generic Labour unnamed president. I want an independent-thinking administration. I don't see that at the moment right now.

While I obviously support Razze as VP, recent events have made it harder and harder to support a Peace-Labor cooperation, even at such a small level as this one, as this is essentially a favour to you, not the other way around, while our position is absolutely a not respected one.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 07:20:30 PM »

Will the economy get better soon? Or will I have to pawn my Microsoft Zune?
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 03:57:52 PM »

Will the economy get better soon? Or will I have to pawn my Microsoft Zune?
Heck yes, honored colleague! And never!

Sent from my Zune HD 64. Please excuse any typos.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 05:20:20 PM »

I believe Razze has sufficiently answered all questions put forward. I motion for a final vote.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 05:22:48 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2023, 05:50:22 PM by West_Midlander »

I believe Razze has sufficiently answered all questions put forward. I motion for a final vote.

I object.

Razze has only received questions from 3 Senators, right?

As Poirot and windjammer have said before, we should give anything before the Senate its due diligence before we head to a vote.

I have a few more questions for the nominee, as well, which I would like answered before we head to a final vote.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 05:44:09 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2023, 05:49:06 PM by West_Midlander »

Also, what happened to your 3-5 days without debate (or questions, in this case) rule, Senator Pyro? You again motioned for a vote one day after questions were last made.

...if a bill has gone 4-5 days without activity, I don't think floating a vote motion is at all unreasonable.

...this bill was commented on the day before your final vote motion.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 05:45:22 PM »

I object.

Razze has only received questions from 2 Senators, right?

As Poirot and windjammer have said before, we should give anything before the Senate its due diligence before we head to a vote.

I have a few more questions for the nominee, as well, which I would like answered before we head to a final vote.

This discussion has been open for senators to contribute with comments and questions for seven full days, and Razze's opening statement has been on the floor for six full days. The most recent hearings, those being the confirmation of Lumine for GM, Scott for Secretary of State, and the 3-in-1 WB, Forumlurker, and NYE for GM Team, each had markedly shorter discussion periods than this. If you oppose this VP confirmation, that is your prerogative, but it's past time we vote on filling this position which has stood vacant for far too long.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 05:47:22 PM »

I object.

Razze has only received questions from 2 Senators, right?

This discussion has been open for senators to contribute with comments and questions for seven full days, and Razze's opening statement has been on the floor for six full days. The most recent hearings, those being the confirmation of Lumine for GM, Scott for Secretary of State, and the 3-in-1 WB, Forumlurker, and NYE for GM Team, each had markedly shorter discussion periods than this. If you oppose this VP confirmation, that is your prerogative, but it's past time we vote on filling this position which has stood vacant for far too long.

Also, what happened to your 3-5 days without debate (or questions, in this case) rule, Senator Pyro? You again motioned for a vote one day after questions were last made.

...if a bill has gone 4-5 days without activity, I don't think floating a vote motion is at all unreasonable.

...this bill was commented on the day before your final vote motion.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 05:51:59 PM »

Do not take my words out of context.
The purpose of this confirmation hearing is to fill a vital administrative position that has remained vacant for almost 3 weeks, a matter which you do not seem to treat with any degree of urgency.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 06:00:34 PM »

Do not take my words out of context.
The purpose of this confirmation hearing is to fill a vital administrative position that has remained vacant for almost 3 weeks, a matter which you do not seem to treat with any degree of urgency.

I only removed the first part of your sentence which doesn't change the meaning at all. I did not edit your words. Are you so untruthful that you will imply that you have been consistently following your 3-5 day rule when that is in no way the case?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 06:01:02 PM »

I object.

It’s been a week, could we get an ETA on when you will post these few more questions for Razze? Besides, you already indicated that you oppose his nomination. What more would you like to hear from him?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2023, 06:02:45 PM »

There is no rush to vote on any legislation, not by myself nor anyone else. If debate and discussion appears to have ended, if amendments as proposed by members of the Senate have been considered, or if a bill has gone 4-5 days without activity, I don't think floating a vote motion is at all unreasonable.

Does this substantially change the meaning, Pyro? Or is it that you're willing to rush a nomination that this body should weigh as carefully as you believe we should weigh legislation?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2023, 06:03:50 PM »

I object.

It’s been a week, could we get an ETA on when you will post these few more questions for Razze? Besides, you already indicated that you oppose his nomination. What more would you like to hear from him?

Forgive me if I'm not such a hard partisan as you and Pyro. I have not been sold immediately on nominations in the past and have voted for them after further consideration. Although I have concerns about the nominee, I'm open to abstaining on the vote, or even voting for him, if I hear a good case for it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies