Biden administration approves Willow oil project in Alaska
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:02:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration approves Willow oil project in Alaska
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden administration approves Willow oil project in Alaska  (Read 808 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
« edited: March 13, 2023, 10:07:35 AM by Sir Mohamed 🇺🇸 🇺🇦 »

The Biden administration announced Monday it will approve ConocoPhillips' Willow oil project located on a portion of Alaska's North Slope that is one of the last unspoiled wilderness areas in America.

Why it matters: The project, which is estimated to produce about 600 million barrels of oil over 30 years, is seen as a key test of Biden's climate commitments, as well as his energy priorities.

The big picture: The administration is not approving the entire project that ConocoPhillips originally asked for, which was for five well pads.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:19:53 AM »

Very sad, very disappointing.

Also hilarious that SOME American right wingers will see something like this and yet continue to call Biden "far left" or a puppet of leftist Twitter. Many on the left (including myself) hate this and hate that Biden did this.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »

Greatest president of my lifetime.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:41:07 AM »

Very disappointed by this.

As I said in the prior thread on this, it's the straw breaking the camel's back for me personally, but I don't expect any huge groundswell from any direction in the near term. The future doesn't look good, but it hasn't for a while.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 01:58:54 PM »

Pure evil.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 02:44:20 PM »

Boo. Curious why they picked three well pads, and not two or even one.

The big picture: The administration is not approving the entire project that ConocoPhillips originally asked for, which was for five well pads.

• Instead, the go-ahead is being given for three pads, which will slightly reduce the project's emissions footprint and cut its impact on the sensitive ecosystems in the region.
  • The approval also relinquishes ConocoPhillips' land rights to about 68,000 acres in that area.
  • The Department of Interior's environmental analysis found the big new project would create annual emissions that equate to less than 1 percent of total U.S. annual emissions in 2019, the analysis found.
  • The total annual emissions from the project would be equivalent to the emissions from 1.2 coal-fired power plants per year, the environmental analysis found.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 02:53:39 PM »

Biden in the 2020 CNN primary debate: "No more drilling on federal lands. No more drilling, including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill. Period."
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 04:14:53 PM »

Rare Brandon L. Very disappointed, but will probably still vote for him
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 04:57:21 PM »

Environmental hero desantis would never have allowed this
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 08:38:57 PM »

The venture was ultimately approved with three drilling pads. The administration felt it was constrained legally and had few options to cancel or significantly curtail the project – which was initially approved by the Trump administration. The administration determined that legally, courts wouldn’t have allowed them to fully reject the project, two government sources familiar with the approval told CNN.

The final scope of the project will cover 68,000 fewer acres than what ConocoPhillips was initially seeking, the sources said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/13/politics/willow-project-alaska-oil-biden-approval-climate/index.html#:~:text=%E2%80%9CWillow%20fits%20within%20the%20Biden,benefits%20to%20Alaska%20Native%20communities.%E2%80%9D
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 08:47:43 PM »

hell ya f the russkies and iranians
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 10:05:53 PM »

Just noting this is very very popular in-state in a way that other projects (like the recently vetoed Pebble Mine) are not — near-unanimous support from politicians, organized labor, Native communities. I (obviously!) don't like the decision, but it'd be political suicide in Alaska — a state with a very competitive U.S. House race next year, in case you've forgotten — to do anything else.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 10:45:08 PM »

Just noting this is very very popular in-state in a way that other projects (like the recently vetoed Pebble Mine) are not — near-unanimous support from politicians, organized labor, Native communities. I (obviously!) don't like the decision, but it'd be political suicide in Alaska — a state with a very competitive U.S. House race next year, in case you've forgotten — to do anything else.
This is what it all comes down to.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 10:45:57 PM »

OK, but he just decided to veto a DC law for the first time in over 30 years, so it's not like he really cares what the locals want there.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 10:46:17 PM »

Just noting this is very very popular in-state in a way that other projects (like the recently vetoed Pebble Mine) are not — near-unanimous support from politicians, organized labor, Native communities. I (obviously!) don't like the decision, but it'd be political suicide in Alaska — a state with a very competitive U.S. House race next year, in case you've forgotten — to do anything else.
This is what it all comes down to.

Pretty much.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 01:33:08 AM »

OK, but he just decided to veto a DC law for the first time in over 30 years, so it's not like he really cares what the locals want there.

Nor should anyone care what the residents of that cesspit want.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 08:39:15 AM »

Petroleum resource development companies are pretty rigorous with environmental protections these days. I would not suspect that Alaska would be any different for oil development in terms of environmental protections.

Resource development projects occupy less than half of one percent of the land that farming uses. Yet for some reason, resource development attracts 99.5% of the criticism of the two groups.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 04:48:13 PM »

DC isn't a swing state, in case you haven't noticed.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 04:55:05 PM »

The mayor was against this bill you know…and a lot of people are calling for MORE tough on crime measures not less.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 05:36:20 PM »

DC isn't a swing state, in case you haven't noticed.

Well, it doesn't seem that Biden wants to make it be a state.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 09:08:01 PM »

Peltola supports this, so it's all good to me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies