SB 114-1: Extraterrestrial Contact Protocol Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:46:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 114-1: Extraterrestrial Contact Protocol Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 114-1: Extraterrestrial Contact Protocol Act (Failed)  (Read 822 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2023, 12:45:33 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2023, 05:41:23 AM by Mr. Reactionary »

Extraterrestrial Contact Protocol Act

Preamble:

Whereas, the discovery of alien life could have significant implications for humanity, including potential threats as well as opportunities for scientific, cultural, and economic development;

Whereas, the potential consequences of contact with extraterrestrial civilizations or individuals require careful planning, coordination, and collaboration between international organizations and governments;

Whereas, there is a need for a comprehensive framework that provides guidance on the appropriate actions to be taken in the event of the discovery of extraterrestrial life or signals.

Section 1: Purpose

This Act sets out the framework for the establishment of protocols for the detection, verification, and communication of any potential contact with extraterrestrial life, whether harmful or not. The aim of this Act is to provide a coordinated and consistent approach to dealing with any such contact and to protect the safety, security, and interests of humanity.

Section 2: Definitions

For the purposes of this Act, the following definitions apply:

(a) Extraterrestrial life - any life that exists outside of the planet Earth, including microbial life, intelligent life, or artificial intelligence.

(b) First contact - the first confirmed encounter with extraterrestrial life, whether through direct observation, signals, or artifacts.

(c) Harmful extraterrestrial life - any extraterrestrial life that poses a threat to the safety, security, or interests of humanity.

(d) Contact team - a group of individuals responsible for implementing the protocols established under this Act.

Section 3: Protocol development and implementation

(a) The Secretary of State shall convene a panel of experts from relevant fields, including but not limited to, astronomy, astrophysics, astrobiology, sociology, international relations, and law, to develop protocols for first contact with extraterrestrial life.

(b) The protocols developed under subsection (a) shall include procedures for detecting and verifying potential signals or artifacts of extraterrestrial life, methods for establishing communication with extraterrestrial life, and guidelines for managing the consequences of any such communication.

(c) The protocols developed under subsection (a) shall be subject to review and update at least once every five years.

(d) The protocols developed under subsection (a) shall be implemented by the Contact team designated by the Secretary of State.

Section 4: Harmful extraterrestrial life

(a) If the Contact team determines that the extraterrestrial life is potentially harmful to humanity, the Contact team shall immediately notify the President and the Secretary of Defense.

(b) The President shall be authorized to take any action necessary to protect the safety, security, and interests of humanity, including but not limited to, the use of military force.

Section 5: Funding

(a) There is hereby appropriated such sums as may be necessary for the implementation of this Act.

(b) The Secretary of State shall allocate funds for the development, implementation, and review of the protocols under this Act.

Section 6: International cooperation

(a) The Republic of Atlasia shall work with the United Nations and other international organizations to establish a coordinated international approach to first contact with extraterrestrial life.

(b) The Secretary of State shall submit a report to the Senate on the progress of international cooperation efforts under this Act.

Section 7: Severability

If any provision of this Act or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the Act and the application of such provisions to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

Section 8: Effective Date

This Act shall take effect 180 days after the date of enactment.

Sponsor: Laki
Debate on this bill is now open
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »

The first bill of the new session! How exciting!

Before we move ahead with debate, I would like to ask for clarification from Senator Laki. According to the introduction thread, this bill was written with ChatGPT assistance. In accordance with SB 113-56, could you confirm that this assistance was for sole purposes of grammatical corrections? The same question applies to the other submissions.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 03:32:23 PM »

The first bill of the new session! How exciting!

Before we move ahead with debate, I would like to ask for clarification from Senator Laki. According to the introduction thread, this bill was written with ChatGPT assistance. In accordance with SB 113-56, could you confirm that this assistance was for sole purposes of grammatical corrections? The same question applies to the other submissions.

Confirmed
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 12:39:08 AM »

Some explanation because I've noticed some people like that.

This act will set up a protocol which can you can see as a rough guideline for how Atlasia must respond in the case of discovery of alien life and extraterrestrial civilisations, as well as a possible alien invasion. The latter scenario is admittably scientifically very unlikely and more a pop culture scenario, but it cannot hurt to at least have a protocol in place, instead of being baffled and taking no action the day it happens.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 01:15:12 AM »

It's good to have protocols in place, but I think that it would be a good idea to better define what "potentially harmful" is lest we start an interplanetary war that didn't need to happen.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 05:18:48 AM »

It's good to have protocols in place, but I think that it would be a good idea to better define what "potentially harmful" is lest we start an interplanetary war that didn't need to happen.

Any suggestions of what is potentially harmful?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:45:09 AM »

Since there has been no debate on this bill of any kind in over a week, I move for a final vote.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 11:51:37 AM »

I cannot support this without a working definition of "potentially harmful."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 11:03:18 PM »

The sum of the appropriations are not established in this bill and I really don't think this is necessary. I'll be voting no.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 04:06:51 PM »

Proposing amendment for section 4

Section 4: Harmful Extraterrestrial Life

1. If the Contact team determines that the extraterrestrial life is potentially harmful to humanity, the Contact team shall immediately notify the President and the Secretary of Defense. "Potentially harmful to humanity" shall mean any extraterrestrial life that poses a credible threat to the safety, security, and interests of humanity. Such threats may include, but are not limited to:

a. Physical harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing physical harm to humans or other living organisms, such as through physical attacks, venomous bites, or infectious diseases.

b. Environmental harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of disrupting or damaging Earth's ecosystems, including invasive species, bacteria or viruses that can affect plants or animals, or organisms that produce toxic substances that can harm the environment.

c. Technological harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of damaging or interfering with human technology, including spacecraft, satellites, or other critical infrastructure.

d. Economic harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing significant economic damage, such as by disrupting trade routes or damaging critical infrastructure.

e. Social harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing social disruption, such as by inciting panic or creating social unrest.

f. Political harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing political instability, such as by threatening national security or challenging existing political systems.

g. Ecological harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing significant damage to Earth's ecosystems and the delicate balance of life on our planet. For example, extraterrestrial life could consume or displace Earth's native flora and fauna, leading to the extinction of certain species or the disruption of entire ecosystems.

h. Psychological harm: Any extraterrestrial life that is capable of causing psychological harm to humans, such as by inducing fear or anxiety.

2. The President shall be authorized to take any action necessary to protect the safety, security, and interests of humanity, including but not limited to, the use of military force. In the event that the President determines that military force is necessary, such force shall be used only as a last resort and in accordance with applicable domestic and international law.

3. It is important to note that the determination of whether extraterrestrial life is potentially harmful to humanity will be based on scientific evidence and analysis conducted by the Contact team, in consultation with relevant experts and agencies. The decision to use military force will be made only after careful consideration of all available options and in accordance with applicable legal and ethical standards.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 07:58:32 PM »

But we already know about extraterrestrial life?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 08:25:55 PM »

We should also address Scott's concerns before we head to a final vote, although we need to vote on cloture unless NYE withdraws his final vote motion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 08:26:44 PM »

24 hours to object to Lakis amendment. If there are no objections Im fine with simultaneously running the 24 hour objection period to the motion to final vote for the bill assuming the amendment passes. So if there are no objections to either we could open final vote in 24 hours on the version including Lakis amendment.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »

I object to the final vote motion. How much do we need for this (for funding), Laki? Or do we need a GM estimate?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 08:38:14 PM »

I object to the final vote motion. How much do we need for this (for funding), Laki? Or do we need a GM estimate?

Ok withdrawn.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 08:59:32 PM »

The sum of the appropriations are not established in this bill and I really don't think this is necessary. I'll be voting no.

It calls to mind the end of the second episode of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, when the British bureaucrats, so horrified by the massacre they just narrowly avoided becoming a part of, and even more so by the monstrous brutality of Alucard, resolved the plot of the episode by evoking the meme, "shut up and take our money".

I likewise do not feel comfortable writing a blank check to a group of "experts" to sit around and talk. I wouldn't trust the military with such either.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 09:19:59 PM »

Funding is hard to do for me, because I have no clue

but I suppose its not much, except for wages and administration costs.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 04:36:26 PM »

Since debate has restarted, I withdraw my motion for a final vote.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »

Amendment is adopted.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 12:32:25 PM »

Don't forget that in order for intelligent extraterrestrial life to reach our gravity, they would not only need to have more advanced technology than we do, but technology that is unfathomable to us outside of science fiction. Right now we can put a man on the moon, but we haven't even made it to Mars yet, so we'd be spending money on, as Yankee said, a panel of experts talking, without producing any new or interesting information or technology. No matter the amount, it could easily be put to better use elsewhere. I really don't see myself being sold on this.

I'd vote for Laki's amendment as a fun standalone bill, but that's basically it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2023, 10:28:20 PM »

Debate is dead again. What do you want to do, Laki?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2023, 12:25:59 AM »

Debate is dead again. What do you want to do, Laki?

Motioning to final vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2023, 12:36:14 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2023, 05:24:59 AM »

No objection, although I definitely can't vote for this w/o explicit funding.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2023, 02:09:43 PM »

A final vote is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies