SB 113-72: Atlasia Wine Official Clarification Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:37:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 113-72: Atlasia Wine Official Clarification Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SB 113-72: Atlasia Wine Official Clarification Act (Passed)  (Read 2123 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »
« edited: May 03, 2023, 07:52:49 AM by Mr. Reactionary »

Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2023”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85% grapes grown in Atlasia.

Section III. Establishment

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

C. Champagnes and Sparkling Wines

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

Section IV. Funding and Logistics

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Internal Affairs. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Section V. Implementation

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2024.

Sponsor: the President
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 09:04:30 AM »

I have been authorized to introduce this. We repealed a similar law last December and the President wanted a revised version.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 12:25:02 PM »

Fitting for recent events that we have a 2020 throwback on the floor. Tongue

I should note I don't actually drink the stuff either. However it is a relatively harmless means of promotion of an Atlasian industry, at least the Atlasian portion of a worldwide industry that seems to rival the Borgia family in internal ruthlessness. This is the original version of the bill that was brought to the floor back then and preserves more or less the same aim of promoting our own domestic produce.

Given the long timeframes I would imagine we hadn't actually implemented any of it yet, so no harm done if this is approved or rejected either way.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »

Why was it repealed in the first place, and what improvements if any have been made?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 08:28:01 PM »

Bring back the Catalina wine mixer imo.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »

Why was it repealed in the first place, and what improvements if any have been made?

I took out references to "Department of Agriculture,".

I have more amendments planned when floor activity starts and Im not on goober pills but nothing crazy.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 09:39:49 PM »

I'm more partial to whiskey, personally, but wine has its place.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 11:20:19 PM »

Seeing as this has been quiet for the past few days, I will motion for a final vote.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:27:58 PM »

I propose an amendment.

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2023”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85100% grapes grown in Atlasia.

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Internal Affairs. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2024.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 11:30:51 PM »

Is it up to Tack to decide if an amendment to this is friendly?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 11:55:54 PM »

24 hours for objections to the amendment
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 08:12:50 PM »

I dont know much about wine. Is there an obvious reason for why the contest is every 6 year for whites but 9 years for red? Im working through a couple amendment ideas.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 07:18:21 AM »

LT Amendment is adopted.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 11:00:05 AM »

I dont know much about wine. Is there an obvious reason for why the contest is every 6 year for whites but 9 years for red? Im working through a couple amendment ideas.

Do you have these amendment proposals prepared? I would like to move ahead with this legislation.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 11:51:32 AM »

Do you have these amendment proposals prepared? I would like to move ahead with this legislation.

My goals are to:

- increase frequency of the contests (6 and 9 years seem too long between)

- ensure the contests are cost neutral, probably through allowing the use of some phrase on labels in exchange for sponsorship $

- ensure fairness of regional venue selection and judges probably rotating regions and equal representation in judges

- possibly change the contest name to something not from  a will ferrell movie.

Those were my reasons for repealing it last year. I will put the amendment language together. Without reasoning i think i want to align the duration of the contests between reds and whites. Not sure if every 2, 4, or 5 years. Any preference?
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 12:03:42 PM »

We should make this an omnibus bill on alcohol in my opinion.

We should have a contest for bourbon. I would also ask we have a provision allowing for Texas Whiskey, which is a growing enterprise and highly profitable for the South, to also have special protections.

Similarly proposing this for Pacific North West whiskey as well, who produce single malt whiskies as well.

We might as well open it up to everyone and everything to ensure it is a good bill.
Yeah, we can make this bill much more all encompassing of all the different boozes.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 12:25:44 PM »

My goals are to:

- increase frequency of the contests (6 and 9 years seem too long between)

- ensure the contests are cost neutral, probably through allowing the use of some phrase on labels in exchange for sponsorship $

- ensure fairness of regional venue selection and judges probably rotating regions and equal representation in judges

- possibly change the contest name to something not from  a will ferrell movie.

Those were my reasons for repealing it last year. I will put the amendment language together. Without reasoning i think i want to align the duration of the contests between reds and whites. Not sure if every 2, 4, or 5 years. Any preference?

These changes would be fine with me, though I would imagine the cost of these contests is negligible.

I do not have a preference on the duration. I suppose every four years is fair.

If you have this amendment proposal ready, please let me know. Otherwise, I can create an amendment to address this concerns.

We should have a contest for bourbon. I would also ask we have a provision allowing for Texas Whiskey, which is a growing enterprise and highly profitable for the South, to also have special protections.

Similarly proposing this for Pacific North West whiskey as well, who produce single malt whiskies as well.

We might as well open it up to everyone and everything to ensure it is a good bill.

Not that I oppose this idea, but I believe any additional alcohol-related contests should be handled in a separate bill. This one is rather extensive as-is.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 12:28:14 PM »

Heres the frequency amendment. 24 hours to object.

Section I. Title.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 100% grapes grown in Atlasia.

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

I. A competition shall be held every 6 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 12:41:01 PM »

Not that I oppose this idea, but I believe any additional alcohol-related contests should be handled in a separate bill. This one is rather extensive as-is.

Why create different statutes? This consolidates the legal code and in my opinion, we should open it up, for simplicities sake.

This bill is specifically about wine classification and contests. To introduce an entirely new subject matter, much less amend this into an omnibus bill for all alcohol-related contests, would constitute a total restructuring that I do not see as being faithful to the original proposal. If a majority of the Senate is in favor of scrapping this in favor of a yet-to-be-written restructured omnibus, then this legislation should be tabled so a new law can be introduced. Otherwise, we should address the concerns put forward by Senator R and bring this to a final vote.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 01:09:17 PM »

This bill is specifically about wine classification and contests. To introduce an entirely new subject matter, much less amend this into an omnibus bill for all alcohol-related contests, would constitute a total restructuring that I do not see as being faithful to the original proposal. If a majority of the Senate is in favor of scrapping this in favor of a yet-to-be-written restructured omnibus, then this legislation should be tabled so a new law can be introduced. Otherwise, we should address the concerns put forward by Senator R and bring this to a final vote.

Or instead of wasting time, you just amend the bill instead of harping on this.

It's your proposal, Mr. Governor.

If you have an amendment and a senator to sponsor it, we'll happily discuss it.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 10:50:18 PM »

It appears Senator R's amendment has been adopted, and active discussion has ended.

Once more, I motion for a final vote.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2023, 11:24:53 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2023, 08:29:22 AM by West_Midlander »

I object.

Let's give the Governor a chance to introduce his amendments. I will sponsor any amendments that he wants to put forward to the effect of the causes/changes that he described in his comments in this thread.

Hopefully, the Governor can get back to us soon. If he is unable to craft such amendments alone we can work on them jointly. I would like to give the full Senate a chance to pass a comprehensive bill while we are on the subject of alcohol (wine) classifications.

Senator LT has also expressed interest in the suggested amendments and I believe we can work on this together.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2023, 08:23:26 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2023, 08:57:06 PM by West_Midlander »

I have an amendment I am introducing.

This amendment realizes the regional fairness among judges that Mr. R was wanting to pursue. I think it's a good proposal. If anyone has any improvements, feel free. I thought 8-8-8-1 would be a good mix for the amendment since it's a number not divisible by three, thus equal regional representation is maintained.

I am also seeking to change the numbering of Article IV's points to maintain consistency in the bill.

I am going to try to work on further amendments this evening.

EDIT: To remove the previous changes from Mr. R's frequency amendment since I created my amendment based on that post.

Section I. Title.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 100% grapes grown in Atlasia.

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

a. The judges for this contest shall have eight members drawn from each region with new members being chosen every four years. Term limits for judgeships shall be unlimited.
     b. The twenty-fifth member of the panel shall be a foreign guest of Atlasia's red wine industry.

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

a. The judges for this contest shall have eight members drawn from each region with new members being chosen every four years. Term limits for judgeships shall be unlimited.
     b. The twenty-fifth member of the panel shall be a foreign guest of Atlasia's white and rose wine industries.

I. A competition shall be held every 2 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

b. The twenty-fifth member of the panel shall be a foreign guest of Atlasia's champagne and sparkling wine industries.

A.I. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Internal Affairs. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B.II. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 12:05:13 PM »

Ok.

My amendment is adopted.

We have an amendment on the floor. 24 hours to object.

Then if there arent any more issues we can hopefully move this along soon.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 12:52:30 PM »

Ok.

My amendment is adopted.

We have an amendment on the floor. 24 hours to object.

Then if there arent any more issues we can hopefully move this along soon.

As WM's amendment was introduced after the final vote motion (and objection), wouldn't the vote to end debate take priority?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies