How long has the liberal elitist been a stereotype?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:51:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How long has the liberal elitist been a stereotype?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How long has the liberal elitist been a stereotype?  (Read 2759 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2023, 04:44:00 PM »

It seems like the liberal elitist has been a part of the Democratic coalition for a long time, since the New Deal era perhaps yet it’s become a more pertinent stereotype as education polarization has increased whereas it used to be Republicans were seen as the party of economic elitism and Democrats of academic elitism. I feel like Stevenson vs Eisenhower might have been the first time you had a populist Republican vs elitist Democrat sort of dynamic.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 06:36:05 PM »

As far back as the 1920s, with movies being perceived as a liberal influence on society and Al Smith.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 03:32:10 AM »

As far back as the 1920s, with movies being perceived as a liberal influence on society and Al Smith.
Even earlier,  I think the abolionist and reform movement has always had an elitist air around it.  Charles Sumner and his intellectual high-society style Radical Republicanism was kind of the prototypical origin of Liberal elitest politican.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 02:49:35 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2023, 02:52:41 AM by Two Scoops »

Since the beginning, so long as you mean "coastal elitist" and not "Democrat elitist". It's basically what Jefferson considered Adams IIRC.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 07:24:54 AM »

It was used as a cudgel against Adlai Stevenson in his presidential run, so at least as far back as 1952.

If I had to guess, though, it might go back all the way to the Progressive Era, as a lot of progressive-leaning figures despite their purported egalitarianism had a bit of a technocratic approach to political problems and tended to place a high value on academic expertise.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 06:43:05 PM »

I was about to ask, perhaps Woodrow Wilson was perceived as an intellectual elitist? Since he was a former professor? I'm sure he could have been contrasted with the more bombastic Theodore Roosevelt.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 11:53:08 PM »

If you mean coastal elitist, or Northeast elite, since the beginning.

However, inserting the word liberal in front of it changes the dynamic.

I would refer to Kevin Phillips, and his analysis of how the Northeastern Elite and silk stocking districts shifted to the left over the period from the New Deal to the Great Society.

Prior to that time, much of the opposition to TR and FDR was centered among high society Northeastern elites. FDR was called a "class traitor" by them for instance. Two of TR's biggest foes were the grandfathers of Nelson Rockefeller (John D Rockefeller and Nelson Aldrich).

The dynamic of liberal elitist versus conservative populist definitely solidifies with 1964 onwards. However, you can see in prior elections like say 1896 where the dynamic was conservative elitist versus left populism.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 08:44:39 PM »

It's been a stereotype even since certain segments of the population did not take too kindly to having their taxes raised. 

I hope this was of use. 
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »

Since the beginning, so long as you mean "coastal elitist" and not "Democrat elitist". It's basically what Jefferson considered Adams IIRC.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, especially since Adams was also
more religiously pious as well.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 09:52:35 PM »

I imagine that opinions on prohibition played a big role in the “liberal elitist” narrative.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 12:33:07 AM »

Bro, Jefferson was THE godfather of liberal elitism.  Economic egalitarianism but only done by me because I’m uniquely intellectual.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 08:02:55 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2023, 08:06:00 AM by Mechalord »

Bro, Jefferson was THE godfather of liberal elitism.  Economic egalitarianism but only done by me because I’m uniquely intellectual.

Agreeing with RINO Tom not just to be contrarian and agree with blue avatars but also because there is actually a ring of truth in this.

We can all consider the things Jefferson did that were cutting edge or progressive for his era.  However the man, much like his more "nationalistic" predecessor George Washington, saw himself as a Great Man of his era and that it was his destiny to rise to greatness.  He believed in this quest so much that he went out of his way to destroy Aaron Burr (who himself probably wasn't as morally good as his fans (including myself) believe he was) by going out of his way to try to sway the jurors and court officials in Aaron Burr's infamous "sedition" trial.  Now, do I believe Burr is innocent?  No, I just believe it was never proven that he was guilty and that the motives of his accusers are suspect, ESPECIALLY THOMAS JEFFERSON.

Moreover, Jefferson on a PERSONAL LEVEL was the kind of man who never seemed to forgive sleights, was ultra obsessed about his own image, and was quite jealous of whatever occasional ally would go up the ranks on his own side out of fear said ally would steal his own thunder.  He also did a lot of the things John Adams did toward political opponents but somehow escaped any punishment for it.  Basically he saw himself as like a god or something.

So yes, the RINO is totally right on this one folks.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »

I mean Adams was president first so yeah you're not wrong here.  At all actually.  I'm saying that in his own way Jefferson was quite an elitist and that part of his personality became much more prevalent during his presidency.  Hell, I'd argue to an extent that his embargo of Great Britain at the time and his lack of concern for New England residents who suffered from the lack of trade (so much so that a lot of Federalists started pushing for LOWER TARIFFS in protest) was a sign of how much Jefferson had drifted away from his earlier "radical" statements.  Now yes, that doesn't make him a "liberal elitist" stereotype by itself, but political cartoonists at the time definitely thought so.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 03:05:18 PM »

I imagine that opinions on prohibition played a big role in the “liberal elitist” narrative.

Progressive reform on Prohibition and other issues such as women's suffrage, child labor, and clean elections might be blamed on a meddling WASP elite in the urban northeast. But in other regions and in rural areas during this time, reform was often more populist.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 11:02:48 PM »

Honestly, it predates the United States, the divide between the urban/coastal multicultural rich and the rest was a thing even in ancient times.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 01:17:56 PM »

Honestly, it predates the United States, the divide between the urban/coastal multicultural rich and the rest was a thing even in ancient times.

But ... that's not in any way a synonym for "liberal" and has at many times in history been associated with just the opposite.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2023, 11:45:57 PM »

I mean Adams was president first so yeah you're not wrong here.  At all actually.  I'm saying that in his own way Jefferson was quite an elitist and that part of his personality became much more prevalent during his presidency.  Hell, I'd argue to an extent that his embargo of Great Britain at the time and his lack of concern for New England residents who suffered from the lack of trade (so much so that a lot of Federalists started pushing for LOWER TARIFFS in protest) was a sign of how much Jefferson had drifted away from his earlier "radical" statements.  Now yes, that doesn't make him a "liberal elitist" stereotype by itself, but political cartoonists at the time definitely thought so.

The drift of the Jeffersonian Republican party towards nationalism and the drift of the Federalists towards separatism and free trade, in the period between 1800 and 1815, is proof positive of just how much base/class/special interests drive political positioning and just how little of it is driven by ideology. Papering ideology over actions already taken to justify them is typically the last step.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 11:54:29 PM »

It goes around in circles.

There have been periods when the elite was liberal and then conservative and then back to liberal every 30 or so years.
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 04:16:28 PM »

For as long as there have ever been political divides describable as having been between "conservative" and "liberal/left" leaning sides, there almost certainly have always been "rich" and "poor" on "both sides." In the French Revolution, the left included both Parisian bourgeois and the Sans-Culottes, whereas the right included both the monarchs and the Vendee peasants. Which side of the "left-right" political divide has been perceived as being more "elitist" in the moment is heavily contingent on the exact time and place in history being discussed, but in virtually every instance where a "left-right" divide existed, there has almost always been fertile ground for leftists and rightists in those particular instances to accuse each other of being "the elitists."
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 07:47:52 PM »

The Federalists were elitist in their orientation, one of the reasons I wouldn’t have supported them
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2023, 12:14:29 PM »

Ever since "Massaschussetts Liberal" become a negative term with the average voter.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2023, 02:22:08 PM »

Ever since "Massaschussetts Liberal" become a negative term with the average voter.

So during the 1988 campaign?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2023, 04:39:14 PM »

The Federalists were elitist in their orientation, one of the reasons I wouldn’t have supported them

They also weren’t liberal.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 06:09:17 PM »

Ever since "Massaschusetts Liberal" become a negative term with the average voter.

So during the 1988 campaign?

It really, really irks me that Dukakis and the Democrats never got the idea to perfectly one-up Bush 41 by calling him a "Connecticut Conservative." (I'm glad that they didn't, considering I am glad that Bush won, but it's just so frustrating to see anyone completely fail to come up with an obvious solution).
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 06:18:11 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2023, 07:41:02 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

I was about to ask, perhaps Woodrow Wilson was perceived as an intellectual elitist? Since he was a former professor? I'm sure he could have been contrasted with the more bombastic Theodore Roosevelt.

Yes, but the idea of Wilson being the "elitist" was certainly tempered by the fact that his background and upbringing were certainly more humble than Roosevelt's. However, the perception of Wilson as "elitist" certainly skyrocketed following World War I and this is manifest in the results of the 1920 presidential election
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies