Has the Next Great Awakening Begun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Has the Next Great Awakening Begun?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the Next Great Awakening Begun?  (Read 687 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2023, 05:25:49 PM »

The mainstream media is taking notice of a religious revival among younger Americans who flocked to a small Kentucky town for their own (Christian) version of Woodstock:

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 05:56:54 PM »

Possibly, but considerably more information is needed to confirm.  In particular, these activities would need to continue and spread to multiple cities for multiple years for it to be comparable to the Great Awakening.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 06:26:46 PM »

No, this is just some social media attention-whoring crap.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 12:52:08 AM »

I haven't seen nearly enough to say yes, but I suppose it's possible.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 05:34:27 AM »

'Is this small thing big?' NYT Story #29780

All I know is that it's taken place in a place known for similar events. And it's already being quashed/called out because various authorities can't control the narrative; from what I read there seemed to be a lot of LGBT people there and the old school 'they must be delivert' and 'Yas Kween Celibacy' cultural appropriators are having a bit of a bun fight between themselves and those showing affirmation.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 08:23:17 AM »

It remains to be seen whether the people as Asbury are always religious but gaining a new zeal, or if these include a lot of non-religious or barely religious coming into the cloth (which is how I would describe an "awakening")

I've seen no evidence of the latter but I suppose it's possible.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »

Just a note :

My Local Catholic Church has had a lot more young people recently. ( They're like super devout, veils and all ).

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 08:34:11 PM »

Has anyone who was previously an atheist or not religious become religious over this?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 10:28:10 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2023, 11:39:53 PM by Skill and Chance »

Has anyone who was previously an atheist or not religious become religious over this?

They claim many, which could of course be exaggerated, but likely yes there's at least a couple of sincere conversions. 

If this does take off, the cultural impacts could be very abrupt and unpredictable.  The 2nd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to the abolition of slavery (at a time the institution appeared to be gaining ground) and the 3rd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to Prohibition (starting from a time when Americans drank at least 3X what we do today).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 08:39:38 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2023, 09:04:43 AM by Torie »

They claim many, which could of course be exaggerated, but likely yes there's at least a couple of sincere conversions.  

If this does take off, the cultural impacts could be very abrupt and unpredictable.  The 2nd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to the abolition of slavery (at a time the institution appeared to be gaining ground) and the 3rd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to Prohibition (starting from a time when Americans drank at least 3X what we do today).

That's interesting. Starting with Cromwell, these things seem to happen every 100 years or so, in which event it's time. If it's happening, what will be wiped out this time?

I was not really familiar with the 1st great awakening, and exploring the wipe out theme attending these revivals, I looked it up. One can read for oneself, what was deemed to have been left in its wake, and what was exorcised.

https://www.ushistory.org/declaration/lessonplan/firstgreatawakening.html

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:41 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2023, 10:48:08 AM by Skill and Chance »

If this does take off, the cultural impacts could be very abrupt and unpredictable.  The 2nd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to the abolition of slavery (at a time the institution appeared to be gaining ground) and the 3rd Great Awakening is widely understood as leading to Prohibition (starting from a time when Americans drank at least 3X what we do today).

That's interesting. Starting with Cromwell, these things seem to happen every 100 years or so, in which event it's time. If it's happening, what will be wiped out this time?

I was not really familiar with the 1st great awakening, and exploring the wipe out theme attending these revivals, I looked it up. One can read for oneself, what was deemed to have been left in its wake, and what was exorcised.

https://www.ushistory.org/declaration/lessonplan/firstgreatawakening.html

Hmmm... the Awakenings are basically the surviving strain of mysticism in Protestant Christianity.  If it takes off, it won't be based on scientific arguments or A->B->C style formal logic, which is what makes it so difficult to predict.  I would expect a general backlash against utilitarian/scientific policymaking, and probably some iconoclasm (the historical Awakenings all had a "worship in a tent like your ancestors" strain), but wouldn't dare to predict which specific issues they will be advocating for.  If it really takes off, I would expect at least one famous tech CEO to convert, and enough actors/actresses for it to influence mass media.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 02:45:43 PM »

The mainstream media is taking notice of a religious revival among younger Americans

I mean this is literally just one event, and there's a ton of data to show that Gen Z is the least religious generation ever.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 03:19:02 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2023, 03:38:53 PM by Skill and Chance »

The mainstream media is taking notice of a religious revival among younger Americans

I mean this is literally just one event, and there's a ton of data to show that Gen Z is the least religious generation ever.

It needs more evidence, but the whole idea is that these things happen suddenly in an era when religious observance has been declining.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 12:50:35 AM »

No, that tweet is just attention-grabbing and a fad.

If anything, we're still in the late rippling effects of the one that started around the presidencies of Carter/Reagan and peaked around 2004-2008. On the falling decline after that peak, but it's still there.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »

No, that tweet is just attention-grabbing and a fad.

If anything, we're still in the late rippling effects of the one that started around the presidencies of Carter/Reagan and peaked around 2004-2008. On the falling decline after that peak, but it's still there.

The late 20th century was continuously secularizing.   Hard to call that an Awakening.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »

I don't think people realize how tiny and irrelevant 50,000 people actually is today. They're comparing this to Woodstock, but 400,000 people attended that almost 55 years ago, and that was in a field, not a cozy air-conditioned chapel at a university. (I wouldn't even be surprised if a higher percentage of the filthy hippies at Woodstock were gainfully employed than the people at this fake revival, but that's a separate point.) Even compared to other Christian events, it's not impressive. The March for Life, which is a de facto nondenominational Christian pilgrimage to DC, is way more impressive than this Asbury crap.

If we were seeing 50,000 Christians organizing to make sandwiches for orphans, then maybe I'd be a little more impressed, but this strikes me as more of the same boring Evangelical crap amplified by social media. It'd be like saying the success of God's Not Dead is evidence of a Great Awakening.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies