States where Biden won whites without college degrees

<< < (2/4) > >>

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ:
Quote from: maclennanc2 on February 22, 2023, 03:59:57 PM

Interesting they went stronger for Biden in RI than MA.

Is Rhode Island the last redoubt of the "White ethnic blue collar Democrat"?

Pretty much, yeah. RI's generally more "downscale" than MA, arguably the most in New England. It has fewer minorities (particularly black - 5% to MA's 11%, which certainly adds to MA's Democratic lean), and RI whites are less college educated than MA whites, yet it's almost as safe for the Dems (arguably even more so on the state level). So that basically necessitates that white ethnic blue collars are voting for Democrats, because of course, RI does have its share of Republicans.

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ:
Quote from: Asenath Waite on March 02, 2023, 05:37:49 PM

Washington is the biggest surprise to me given how the rural pacific northwest is home to a lot of far-right crazies. I guess that non-college whites in the Seattle area just outnumber them and also many are probably counter-cultural types that didn’t get a college degree because they were pursuing a more artistic career.

There's a share of far-right crazies in the PNW, because the rugged and secluded setting appeals to that set. But it also appeals to all kinds of other people. Democrats don't do that bad in the interior compared to rural America in general so there's certainly a base of liberals, and probably some blue-collar moderates who still vote for the left.

Bismarck:
California is surprising to me. Where do them bulk of liberal whites without college degrees live? Certainly some areas of the northern coast fall into this category but I wouldn’t think of working class whites in socal being leftwing.

TheDeadFlagBlues:
Quote from: Asenath Waite on March 02, 2023, 05:37:49 PM

Washington is the biggest surprise to me given how the rural pacific northwest is home to a lot of far-right crazies. I guess that non-college whites in the Seattle area just outnumber them and also many are probably counter-cultural types that didn’t get a college degree because they were pursuing a more artistic career.

This goes to my theory that Republicans may be nearing their ceiling with non-college whites (except perhaps in New England) because many of the remainder who still vote Democrat do because they’re committed social liberals.

For whatever reason, it is assumed that western Washington is an annex of Microsoft or Amazon when Seattle was known as a subsidiary of Boeing, with all that this implies. Tacoma, Everett, Renton and a lot of other parts of the Seattle metro area are still quite 'white working class'. They are also full of Democrats.

Secretary of State Liberal Hack:
Quote from: Bismarck on June 08, 2023, 11:45:06 AM

California is surprising to me. Where do them bulk of liberal whites without college degrees live? Certainly some areas of the northern coast fall into this category but I wouldn’t think of working class whites in socal being leftwing.

The same place that liberals with college degrees live in ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page