States where Biden won whites without college degrees

<< < (4/4)

President Punxsutawney Phil:
Quote from: Bernie Huckabee Sanders on August 06, 2023, 11:13:34 PM

Quote from: maclennanc2 on February 22, 2023, 03:59:57 PM

Interesting they went stronger for Biden in RI than MA.

Is Rhode Island the last redoubt of the "White ethnic blue collar Democrat"?

Keep in mind that more people in RI o live in Providence or its immediate suburbs which adds to its democratic lean.

Around 60% of RI's population lives just in Providence County, iirc.

Stranger in a strange land:
Quote from: Bismarck on June 08, 2023, 11:45:06 AM

California is surprising to me. Where do them bulk of liberal whites without college degrees live? Certainly some areas of the northern coast fall into this category but I wouldn’t think of working class whites in socal being leftwing.

Lots of people still move to SoCal in hopes of getting into acting or entertainment. Many entertainment-related professions don't require a degree. Even though most of them end up doing other things, the type of person who "sets off to Hollywood to make it big and become a star" typically has a personality that lends itself to a liberal or left-wing worldview.

LostFellow:
Quote from: 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 on July 24, 2023, 01:27:09 PM

Quote from: King of Kensington on February 21, 2023, 08:30:27 PM

All in New England or the West Coast.

White noncollege

California  51-47 D
Massachusetts  52-46 D
Rhode Island  57-42 D
Vermont (almost certainly but no data)
Washington  53-45 D

Oregon was a tie, 49-49.  Hawaii likely, but no data.

Where are these numbers from? I can't seem to find them.

If RI is accurate it means there must have been very little difference between the college and non-college educated white vote there, unlike nationally where it was almost 20 points.

Seems like it matches the AP votecast survey (RI cross tabs can be found here on NYT). The top line MOE is 6.3% for RI, so the cross tabs can certainly be wonky.

But regardless, it also has 58-40 Biden for college educated whites, and no significant difference between overall college vs non college (former is 60-39 Biden, latter is 59-39 Biden) There could be some ancestral effect going on, as the survey also has Biden's 65+ performance matching his statewide performance, or maybe a culturally liberal retiree thing is captured there. I wouldn't be surprised at Biden winning the non-college white vote in RI, but I do suspect small sample size is giving an incorrect conclusion of no education gap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page