Jimmy Carter's Place In History (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:44:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Jimmy Carter's Place In History (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Assess Jimmy Carter's Place In History
Successful President

Moderately Successful President

Moderately Unsuccessful President

Unsuccessful President

Undecided/Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Jimmy Carter's Place In History  (Read 1993 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 19, 2023, 03:12:37 PM »

Although he did some interesting things in foreign policy and probably deserves a lot of credit (or if you prefer, blame) for the policies that crushed inflation in the early 1980s, at the end of the day I think it's hard to overlook that he was a one-term president whose defeat ushered in a new political era. I think he'll be seen as a mostly unsuccessful president who redeemed himself to a large extent with a strong post-presidency.

I think the debates over his presidency will be less about whether he was unsuccessful, and more about why he was unsuccessful. Was he just a poor candidate for the job, or was he given an impossible task? Or maybe he could have been a good president in different circumstances, but was the wrong person at the wrong time. Then there's also interesting questions about the extent of continuities between his presidency and the Reagan presidency, and how/why/whether he prevented another period of major left-wing domestic legislation sought by liberals like Ted Kennedy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies