Do Catholic churches ever play music that sounds like emo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:37:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do Catholic churches ever play music that sounds like emo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Catholic churches ever play music that sounds like emo?  (Read 452 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2023, 11:34:03 PM »

Like anywhere? Any Catholic church? Would that violate Catholic theology or something or is there actually some Catholic church that does?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 02:03:56 AM »

Considering that a church did a clown mass at least once, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an emo mass somewhere.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 10:47:00 AM »

BRTD, what is your denomination again...?  Lol.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »

BRTD, what is your denomination again...?  Lol.
Non-denominational.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 12:52:24 PM »

Nothing in Catholic theology forestalls any style of music that the culture of the parish doesn't see as actively unpleasant and cacophonous. There's an official pride of place given to Gregorian chant but it's widely ignored, partly for reasons of taste and partly because doing Gregorian chant well requires specialized vocal training that most parish choirs can't afford to invest in, if there even is a parish choir rather than just an organist or pianist and the congregation singing along as best they can. Most non-emo fans do see a lot of what BRTD listens to as actively unpleasant and cacophonous, but there's nothing to prevent a parish with a high enough concentration of people who share his taste in music from doing an emo Gloria or an emo Agnus Dei now and then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 01:19:49 PM »

Nothing in Catholic theology forestalls any style of music that the culture of the parish doesn't see as actively unpleasant and cacophonous. There's an official pride of place given to Gregorian chant but it's widely ignored, partly for reasons of taste and partly because doing Gregorian chant well requires specialized vocal training that most parish choirs can't afford to invest in, if there even is a parish choir rather than just an organist or pianist and the congregation singing along as best they can. Most non-emo fans do see a lot of what BRTD listens to as actively unpleasant and cacophonous, but there's nothing to prevent a parish with a high enough concentration of people who share his taste in music from doing an emo Gloria or an emo Agnus Dei now and then.
Never heard of an emo version of that. I'm thinking of how music like Hillsong regularly sounds like emo.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 01:33:37 PM »

No other categorization?  For example, some people I knew in Iowa City who went to this church called Parkview were technically "non-denominational" or whatever (and that is certainly how they described themselves), but their website says they are part of the Evangelical Free Church.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 02:17:30 PM »

No other categorization?  For example, some people I knew in Iowa City who went to this church called Parkview were technically "non-denominational" or whatever (and that is certainly how they described themselves), but their website says they are part of the Evangelical Free Church.
My former church was completely non-denominational (and thus had to be entirely self-sufficient financially, which ended being a problem), and I haven't joined a new one since it, our last gathering was just a month ago. It started as a branch off from a Presbyterian one and met at a Congregational church but had no affiliation with those denominations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies