Do you believe in evil? Do you believe in free will?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe in evil? Do you believe in free will?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe in evil? Do you believe in free will?
I believe in evil. / I believe in free will.

I believe in evil. / I do not believe in free will.

I do not believe in evil. / I believe in free will.

I do not believe in evil. / I do not believe in free will.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Do you believe in evil? Do you believe in free will?  (Read 463 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2023, 05:35:05 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2023, 05:39:55 PM by Ferguson97 »

I believe in both.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 05:47:53 PM »

I don't really see the connection between these questions, but yes to both. As a matter of principle, there cannot be good without something to contrast it with and vice-versa. I believe in free will insofar as it implies moral responsibility, but there's so many outside influences, be that our own biology/genetics or life experiences, that free will must exist on the condition that it exists within a certain context.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 05:57:00 PM »

Free will is too abstruse and abstract a concept in which to believe. Does anybody really understand what it is?
Unfortunately evil is all too real.
I voted for option 2.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 06:14:04 PM »

Both are concepts necessary to describe essential aspects of the human experience, so yes, of course.

Free will is widely misunderstood in some circles, leading to the utterly incoherent concept of "libertarian free will" and a lot of absurd thought patterns it encourages. And plenty of people have wrongheaded understanding of evil as well, for that matter. But they're undoubtedly both real all the same.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 06:56:39 PM »

yes to both
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 03:30:26 AM »

As a matter of principle, there cannot be good without something to contrast it with and vice-versa.

Why would this be? This is how we generally think of the world, yes, but why is it conceptually necessary?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 08:29:28 AM »

As a matter of principle, there cannot be good without something to contrast it with and vice-versa.

Why would this be? This is how we generally think of the world, yes, but why is it conceptually necessary?

Because that's our way of understanding material, as well as moral, reality, from how I look at it. Would light mean anything to us if we didn't understand darkness? Can we understand heat without also understanding cold? Or to be more technical with these examples, can we understand the presence of light and heat without also understanding and experiencing their absence? I apply the same dichotomy to good and evil, whether we want to define evil as "the absence of good" (which would be a very myopic way of understanding it), or as we practically understand the question as to where something exists in shades of gray.

Whether we use a binary or gradated system, we understand these things as they exist alongside the alternatives. Certainly with the question of evil, the latter is more appropriately used. But if our understanding of "good" doesn't play any role, then what else do we have to determine the severity of one evil thing without looking at what might precede or follow that degree?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 09:36:48 AM »

To posit an absurd hypothetical, if every human experience was the same, then there is a point that one could not characterize it as good or bad. But if there is a range of human experiences one could, and that I don't think requires having to experience evil or whatever to appreciate such differences. There could be a continuum of only degrees of relative good.

Just another reminder to self that philosophy just isn't my cup of tea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies