Philosphy is a waste of time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Philosphy is a waste of time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philosphy is a waste of time  (Read 2182 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 16, 2023, 01:51:39 AM »

This thread seems to be more of a discussion about Philosophy as an academic discipline today, or "pop philosophers" which is just a tiny slice of philosophy.

Philosophy encompasses a lot of different things. Plenty of normal people engage in "philosophical thinking" in the course of a normal day or normal life.

It does need to be rescued, in some way, from the philosophers.

(For what it's worth, I'm wondering how the same might be true for theologians too).

Beautifully and succinctly put. To do philosophy is to cultivate a love for knowledge and for wisdom, which is relevant to everybody every day. It's a shame that philosophers seem to be some of the last people one expects to understand that.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 12:43:01 AM »

The argument that philosophy is a waste of time is itself a philosophical claim — there’s no escaping philosophy!  Tongue

So what you’re saying is philosophy is like….a prison?

I could summarily delete this post. I won't...but I could.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 04:52:25 PM »

Torie, in law school you would have been taught to clarify and/or obfuscate everyday language in much the same way that this Callard person teaches her students to. What you're making here is essentially just a distinction between the immediate social and economic usefulness of the two fields of inquiry. I think there's a lot less of any difference deeper than that than you seem to think.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies