Philosphy is a waste of time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:41:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Philosphy is a waste of time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philosphy is a waste of time  (Read 2199 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« on: February 16, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »

Labour Jersey made the same point as me. I personally agree that abstract philosophy ("how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?") is a waste of time, but there is much more to philosophy than that.

In Peanuts/Charie Brown, Charles Schulz clearly loved mocking philosophy by using that line, but Peanuts/Charlie Brown was also probably the most philosophical (mainstream) comic strip ever.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 04:35:43 PM »

Episode from the Australian Broadcasting Company Program "The Philosopher's Zone"
The anti-philosophers

One of the curious things about the history of philosophy is that it periodically throws up thinkers who throw into question the whole business of… doing philosophy. Some are avowed anti-philosophers, e.g. Diogenes and Nietzsche. Some have the mantle of anti-philosophy thrust upon them, e.g. Jacques Derrida, the genial Frenchman whose engagement with canonical thinkers is close and respectful, and yet whose work has been denounced as a kind of heretical nihilism. How should we situate these paradoxical figures? Is it possible to be a philosopher if you're arguing that philosophy is an impossible project?

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/the-anti-philosophers/102180710
28 minute program.

I haven't listened to it yet. I went to their website to post another topic here.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 04:56:00 PM »

We could also ponder similar questions Huh

Are political debates a waste of time?

Is religion a waste of time?

Is science a waste of time?

Is atlas a waste of time?

Is grammar a waste of time?

Is debating sports a waste of time?

Is history a waste of time?

Is complaining a waste of time?

Is learning to speak Klingon a waste of time?

Not to mention things that are a waste of space or money.

Is life a waste of time?

For answers to all these questions and more, consult BoJack Horseman.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies