Philosphy is a waste of time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Philosphy is a waste of time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philosphy is a waste of time  (Read 2203 times)
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« on: May 06, 2023, 03:14:38 PM »

"Philosophizing" is inevitable. That's my main defense of it. I'm referring to a person's ability to "find meaning" in life, and to engage in dialogue and thought about every subfield of philosophy. Aesthetics, ethics, epistemology, etc. You do all those things whether you know it or not, so reading academic-level sources about the topics you're interested in might help, with being more precise and engaging with prior work on those topics, which has almost certainly been written.

Academic philosophy is not really equivalent to "philosophizing." It's an academic field with a language that is hard for laymen to grasp, although it occasionally produces things that get laymen interested. We have limited time and IQ points, so personally I always liked to dabble in things rather than delve until I'm an expert.

Even so, life is long enough that we don't have to limit ourselves to things that are guaranteed to be non-wasted time... nothing can truly guarantee us that. If your intellectual curiosity leads you in a particular direction, why not follow it? You can only learn what's under that rock by looking.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 03:14:59 PM »

On another note, since the article sings the praises of "hard sciences", we should be aware that there is in fact a similar tendency at work in certain highly theoretical fields of scientific academia. For example, this video makes a pretty compelling case that most of modern particle physics is dominated by highly unscientific speculation that has tried (and repeatedly, embarrassingly failed) to solve "problems" with the Standard Model that aren't actual problems. The video is well worth a watch (the author is herself a fairly respected theoretical physicist, to be clear, so her critiques come from a place of intimate knowledge):

The great irony here is that it seems like what particle physicists are doing is basically philosophy. They reject the standard model, not because it makes incorrect predictions, but because it's not "elegant" enough - in other words, it's not as meaningful as we'd like it to be. It makes a bunch of weird esoteric claims and these claims seem to work perfectly at predicting anything we can measure, but we as human beings don't really know what to make of them. So, physicists search for hidden meaning that will make the standard model intuitive. But of course that's not something science can tell us: all science can do is make predictions and test them.

I showed this video to a physics grad student and she disagreed with the premise (that these ideas were fanciful and we can say in hindsight they never should have been tried). I guess this is similar to the "waste of time" question actually. Testing particle physics hypotheses is expensive. Falsifying a hypothesis might not be a waste of money, but if you could have simply pruned the idea before it was ever seen as valid enough to test (taking care not to suppress the true new theories), but failed to do so, then sure, the experiment was a waste. So Sabine Hossenfelder seems to have a similar problem with science as one mentioned in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, in which Robert Pirsig became disillusioned as a biochemistry undergrad with the ease of generating arbitrary hypotheses... Arguably he ruined his chance at a hard science career with his philosophy!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies