Philosphy is a waste of time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:04:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Philosphy is a waste of time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philosphy is a waste of time  (Read 2195 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 25, 2023, 02:30:43 PM »

Well duh! 

The most known philosophers usually came from backgrounds where they had idle time and weren't working fields, then The Industrial Revolution and other innovative periods started opening up more and more leisure time... and entertainment only goes so far!  Are we supposed to contemplate our navels?

Perhaps "waste of time" is too pejorative for a natural consequence of not constantly needing productivity to survive.

Labour Jersey made the same point as me. I personally agree that abstract philosophy ("how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?") is a waste of time, but there is much more to philosophy than that.

In Peanuts/Charie Brown, Charles Schulz clearly loved mocking philosophy by using that line, but Peanuts/Charlie Brown was also probably the most philosophical (mainstream) comic strip ever.

I'll see you Peanuts and raise you one Calvin & Hobbes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 12:16:16 PM »

Interestingly, depending on the true nature of the Universe/reality, philosophy is either a waste of time or arguably the only thing that matters!

Or both at the same time, paradoxical as it might sound.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies