Prodi hands in resignation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:20:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prodi hands in resignation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Prodi hands in resignation  (Read 6245 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »

Unless the Communist parties abstain he wont lose.

You mean the hardliners who splintered off the old PCI, rather than DS?

Yes, Communist Refoundation and Party of Italian Communists.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2007, 03:37:20 PM »

He's likely to survive (as of now he has 158 supporters to the opposition's 156) - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070225/wl_nm/italy_dc

But let's hope for an upset.  Wink

I figured that much. They're worried that defections, leading to new elections, could mean Berlusconi is back so it's not worth it for them to abandon Prodi.

What are the chances, though, that some of the Christian Dems that make up Prodi's coalition abstain?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

What are the chances, though, that some of the Christian Dems that make up Prodi's coalition abstain?

Somewhat lower than that some of the Christian Dems that are not with him would vote for him Smiley (though, for the moment, that one isn't high either). Don't forget, Prodi was a CD most of his life, until the old system collapsed. Even though this did not happen this time, I would not be shocked if before or at the next election the (bulk of the) UDC does switch sides.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »

Why is Prodi's margin of support so narrow anyway? I thought the winning coalition automatically got 55% of the seats now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 07:16:55 PM »

His problem is the Senate
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »

I'm trying to think of other parliamentary systems where the leader of the lower house, the PM, is accountable to a vote in the upper chamber (i think I've worded that right)...Italy, Australia...anywhere else? (Can the upper chamber force anything in Germany?)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2007, 07:47:57 PM »

I'm trying to think of other parliamentary systems where the leader of the lower house, the PM, is accountable to a vote in the upper chamber (i think I've worded that right)...Italy, Australia...anywhere else? (Can the upper chamber force anything in Germany?)

Not Australia. The PM isn't elected or responsible to the Senate in Australia, IIRC, he is only elected by the House of Representatives.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2007, 08:21:23 PM »

Not Australia. The PM isn't elected or responsible to the Senate in Australia, IIRC, he is only elected by the House of Representatives.

But didnt the AU senate force the fall of a govt?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2007, 08:30:45 PM »

They blocked supply. What did for Whitlam was a coup by the Governer General.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »

They can prevent anything but peacemeal legislation from passing, but that's it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »

Casa della Liberta leads in the latest polls...

1,917 adults were polled with a MoE of 2.5%

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/14855
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »

Confidence vote by the Senate will be held on Wednesday. Prodi has 162 votes to the oppositions 156. Two Senators are undecided.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aHg3WWDZgvkI
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

He's likely to survive (as of now he has 158 supporters to the opposition's 156) - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070225/wl_nm/italy_dc

But let's hope for an upset.  Wink

I figured that much. They're worried that defections, leading to new elections, could mean Berlusconi is back so it's not worth it for them to abandon Prodi.

Absolutely none.The only problem,right now,is one communist senator,one of those 2 who didn't vote last Wednesday though causing all of this mess.
And,for the poll,I think it's normal for the CdL to lead right now...Prodi had to resign,something which is not exactly well-seen by electors...and,anyway,that margin is smaller than that of the Unione before last April's elections.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »

and,anyway,that margin is smaller than that of the Unione before last April's elections.

L'Unione had pretty much the exact same margin (except they were up four obviously) going into the elections.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

and,anyway,that margin is smaller than that of the Unione before last April's elections.

L'Unione had pretty much the exact same margin (except they were up four obviously) going into the elections.
Unione was leading 52-47 in every single poll before the elections.Then,with Berlusconi's "miracle" (or attempted steal) we only won by 20,000 votes in the lower house.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2007, 03:10:42 PM »

There likely won't be new elections for quite awhile, so I wouldn't put too much stock into current polls.

Prodi will almost certainly win the confidence vote and remain PM after all, and even when he goes his replacement will likely be someone else from L'Unione.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

Unione was leading 52-47 in every single poll before the elections.Then,with Berlusconi's "miracle" (or attempted steal) we only won by 20,000 votes in the lower house.

It wasn't literally every single poll but 52-47 is basically the same as being ahead 51-47.

There likely won't be new elections for quite awhile, so I wouldn't put too much stock into current polls.

Prodi will almost certainly win the confidence vote and remain PM after all, and even when he goes his replacement will likely be someone else from L'Unione.

If he somehow loses Wednesday, aren't new elections guarenteed to take place?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »

It wasn't literally every single poll but 52-47 is basically the same as being ahead 51-47.

He lead by 5 points or more in EVERY poll before the elections...except Berlusconi's,of course.
And he is DEFINITELY going to win,right now 163 senators support him,and he only needs 158.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

What is it with this Berlusconi admiration among American conservatives anyway?

He gives really nice backrubs. 

And as you Germans know, we like that in a politician.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »

He lead by 5 points or more in EVERY poll before the elections...except Berlusconi's,of course.

Which is basically the same amount that Casa della Liberta leads by right now. There is really no difference in being up by four points or five points.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The last I read had him with 159. I never thought it was likely that Prodi would fail in this vote though. I said I was hoping for an upset and I still am.  Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »

yes, but he's not going to lose.

I also wonder if American conservatives who praise Berlusconi for sending troops to Iraq will give any accolades to Prodi, considering he lost that vote trying to the help the US.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »

I also wonder if American conservatives who praise Berlusconi for sending troops to Iraq will give any accolades to Prodi, considering he lost that vote trying to the help the US.

I do give credit to Prodi for that but, overall, I still dislike him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »

Thanks to that, and to the backing of un-elected life senators, Prodi is expected to win Wednesday's vote by 164 votes to 157. The result should be known by 10 p.m. (2100 GMT).

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/international/ticker/detail/Prodi_looks_set_to_win_confidence_vote.html?siteSect=143&sid=7571207&cKey=1172621256000

Sad
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2007, 05:25:27 AM »

What is it with this Berlusconi admiration among American conservatives anyway?

He gives really nice backrubs. 

And as you Germans know, we like that in a politician.

LOL
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »

40% want Prodi to stay as PM. 39% think Prodi's government will last a few months while 22% think he'll remain as PM for a year or two.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070228/wl_nm/italy_dc_2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies