Sen. Mike Lee is mad that a US Navy officer got 3-year-sentence in Japan for killing 2 people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:12:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Mike Lee is mad that a US Navy officer got 3-year-sentence in Japan for killing 2 people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Mike Lee is mad that a US Navy officer got 3-year-sentence in Japan for killing 2 people  (Read 775 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:53:32 AM »

What a bizarre man. At first I didn’t think it was him because of the handle having the word “based” in it, and the account being subscribed to Twitter blue rather than a legacy verification, but it’s actually him:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2022/08/09/what-utahs-members-congress-are/
Lee’s personal Facebook page links to a Twitter thread from a Twitter account — “Based Mike Lee” — that was created in July. The account, full of attempted snark and sarcasm, at one point had a profile picture of a young Mike Lee with digital sunglasses superimposed on his face — a reference to the “Deal with it” meme that was popular in the early 2010s. A source close to Lee says the account is Lee’s personal Twitter which he manages by himself.

Not only is he deranged for suggesting that we should break a security agreement over this, but he’s incredibly weird for using a personal account in this way.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 05:28:52 AM »

I mean looking into the case, it does seem a rather harsh punishment espeicaly given that the crash was not because of a medical condition and not drugs/alcohol. I would have to see similar japanese cases to know if the punishment is dispraporionate or not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 05:34:48 AM »

yeah, that's a tough case, but Mike Lee is out of line here.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:37:56 AM »

Would Lt. Alkonis be getting the same treatment if this happened in Utah?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 06:03:55 AM »

Japan looks great on the surface but the deeper you dig the more terrifying and horrific things you discover.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 07:27:17 AM »

if he could prove he was unaware of his condition in court, he's going to walk 98 times out of a 100 in the US.  One of our lawyers here could verify that, but that's what my light Googling is telling me (and that was what my hunch was).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 07:31:33 AM »

actually, I suppose, the prosecution has to prove that he did know of his condition.  Which is really hard to do unless it's true and they can get a doc or two of yours on the stand to testify as such.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:13:32 AM »

Japan looks great on the surface but the deeper you dig the more terrifying and horrific things you discover.

The worst thing I've learned about Japan is that you can be convicted of defamation even if it's proven in court that you told the truth.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 09:02:22 AM »

I don't think that's Mike Lee lol...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 09:22:48 AM »

Shockingly, it is...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2022/08/09/what-utahs-members-congress-are/
Lee’s personal Facebook page links to a Twitter thread from a Twitter account — “Based Mike Lee” — that was created in July. The account, full of attempted snark and sarcasm, at one point had a profile picture of a young Mike Lee with digital sunglasses superimposed on his face — a reference to the “Deal with it” meme that was popular in the early 2010s. A source close to Lee says the account is Lee’s personal Twitter which he manages by himself.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 09:47:14 AM »

Mike Lee is an odd guy.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:12:38 AM »

This is weird way to frame the thread. Unless the information out there is BS, the Japanese subjected this guy to sleep deprivation, withheld medical attention, and gave him a harsher sentence than they usually give their own people, all because he had a medical emergency and lost control of the vehicle. Your thread title makes it sound like a murder case.

Honestly, I'm sort of on Mike Lee's side here. Send him back or enjoy dealing with China and North Korea on your own.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 10:14:09 AM »

Shockingly, it is...

Yeah, anyone can make this sht up. I don't think it's him.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 10:40:09 AM »

Shockingly, it is...

I really don't think The Salt Lake Tribune is making this up out of the blue.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »

This is weird way to frame the thread. Unless the information out there is BS, the Japanese subjected this guy to sleep deprivation, withheld medical attention, and gave him a harsher sentence than they usually give their own people, all because he had a medical emergency and lost control of the vehicle. Your thread title makes it sound like a murder case.

Honestly, I'm sort of on Mike Lee's side here. Send him back or enjoy dealing with China and North Korea on your own.

This is not true. He fell asleep at the wheel.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 04:58:32 PM »

This is what nationalism is.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 05:06:09 PM »

actually, I suppose, the prosecution has to prove that he did know of his condition.  Which is really hard to do unless it's true and they can get a doc or two of yours on the stand to testify as such.

Here? Not necessarily. The prosecution has to prove the elements of the crime, not disprove any potential defenses. Once the prosecution has put forward evidence to show that he was driving in a manner showing willful or wanton disregard for safety of persons/property that's enough for a jury. The prosecution could, for example, present evidence showing it was late at night and a defendant had a long and exhausting day before driving and that could be enough to show that he was reckless by getting behind the wheels of a car. At that point, its the defense who would have to show that the defendant didn't know/shouldn't have known that his actions were going to cause harm. Not saying I know much about this case in particular, but I wouldn't call it a clear-cut matter over here; it never is when death is involved.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 05:08:50 PM »

Here? Not necessarily. The prosecution has to prove the elements of the crime, not disprove any potential defenses. Once the prosecution has put forward evidence to show that he was driving in a manner showing willful or wanton disregard for safety of persons/property that's enough for a jury. The prosecution could, for example, present evidence showing it was late at night and a defendant had a long and exhausting day before driving and that could be enough to show that he was reckless by getting behind the wheels of a car. At that point, its the defense who would have to show that the defendant didn't know/shouldn't have known that his actions were going to cause harm. Not saying I know much about this case in particular, but I wouldn't call it a clear-cut matter over here; it never is when death is involved.
Under American law. Japanese law is known for being a lot less friendly to defendants, for example evidence obtained by an illegal police search is admissible and things like coerced confessions.

I don't know a whole lot about the details of this case but it sounds like Lee may not be entirely out of line here. Granted he could've received a similar sentence if this happened in the US too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 05:17:28 PM »

It might not be impossible to arrange for him to be moved to the US as part of a deal.
What mechanisms exist in the Armed Forces Status Agreement?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 05:25:00 PM »

if he could prove he was unaware of his condition in court, he's going to walk 98 times out of a 100 in the US.  One of our lawyers here could verify that, but that's what my light Googling is telling me (and that was what my hunch was).

Not necessarily. They would still be found guilty of some level of vehicular homicide most likely
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »

This is not true. He fell asleep at the wheel.

According to their judge.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 09:42:55 PM »

Shockingly, it is...

Lol imagine that
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »

Shockingly, it is...

Lol imagine that

What exactly would be the motive for making this up?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 08:29:39 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2023, 08:35:41 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

As someone who suffers the same medical symptoms on occasion, my heart is with Lt Alkonis and his family for being subjected to this monstrous injustice. Hopefully the Japanese, who are greatly indebted to us for all that we do, feel obliged to make this right.

I've tried to get several doctors to diagnose mine over the years, but I suppose it's rare enough to not have a clue/have never heard someone complain about the issue. This happened to me thrice in the passenger seat of jamespol's vehicle last year where I lost consciousness on account of sudden altitude changes. It's a real mystery condition that comes and goes and is unpredictable. You seem to outgrow it and then it creeps back. Most people probably go their whole life without experiencing it or knowing their condition.

"It is unlikely that the defendant suffered serious altitude sickness at the time," the judge said, pointing to initial testimony in which Alkonis testified he felt fine when he left Mt. Fuji.

Which is literally exactly my experience
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2023, 04:12:16 PM »

Shockingly, it is...

Lol imagine that

Bump

Here's Mike Lee's official account confirming that it belongs to him lmao

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies