When did hating rap music go from being seen as a liberal thing to a conservative thing?

(1/7) > >>

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better:
When I was in high school, hating rap was actually a liberal trait. Most of the kids at my school who did (including me of course) were all liberal. That's because it was seen as generic corporate music pushed by MTV and the like for the mainstream and the real cool underground stuff that went against the mainstream was like hardcore punk and underground emo, etc., in addition to also criticizing it for promoting negative behavior and often being sexist and degrading toward women. Also the fact that at the time there was a certain archetype of a teenage girl who had very progressive feminist politics and prided herself on rejecting mainstream pop music and rap music and was stereotyped as being into indie rock and riot grrrl type bands (Julie Stiles' character in 10 Things I Hate About You is a good example of this.) I went to go see punk bands with kids from school who were all vocally anti-Bush (and remember this is pre-Iraq War) and yet they also dumped on rap too and talked about how stupid *latest big rapper* and whatever single was.

But now it seems if you talk about how you hate rap people associate that with being conservative and just racist...when did that shift occur?

Benjamin Frank:
Odd, the only good rap songs are MC Hammer's "You Can't Touch This" and Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby."

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better:
Quote from: Benjamin Frank on February 03, 2023, 02:30:16 AM

Odd, the only good rap songs are MC Hammer's "You Can't Touch This" and Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby."

This song is WAY better than both.

Benjamin Frank:
Quote from: I will not be your victim, I will not bathe in your flames on February 03, 2023, 02:35:50 AM

Quote from: Benjamin Frank on February 03, 2023, 02:30:16 AM

This song is WAY better than both.

It's actually pretty catchy but it's not rap.

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆:
You're not a stupid person so it seems insane that someone else would have to spell it for you, but hating rap has often been associated with being conservative (or racist) since the beginning. Of course, people who dislike rap and are liberals have always existed as well, possibly even people who dislike rap because they are liberals, but this association wasn't invented by a maroon Maryland outline on this forum two years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page