Colorado Prop 123 vote (affordable housing)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:05:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado Prop 123 vote (affordable housing)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colorado Prop 123 vote (affordable housing)  (Read 274 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2023, 11:55:25 PM »

Colorado passed proposition 123, an affordable housing fund measure, by a margin of 53 to 47. With a fairly correlated map. Democratic counties generally voted for it, and Republican counties generally voted against it.

Of course, in both cases it was generally by lesser margins than the counties natural partisan lean. Interestingly, it received 46% in El Paso County (Colorado Springs).

Generally local measures passed far greater margins than the statewide measure. Now the local measures generally were a limit on short term rentals. Any of those measures, I would have gladly voted for.

Funny enough, the Aspen City measure underperformed the statewide measure. Why? Well, many employees of those airbnb type rentals who could vote ran to the polls to vote against it as they were afraid of losing their jobs. But the measure still passed 62% to 38%, compared to the statewide measure passing there 70% to 30%.

Almost all the ones in the local races passed, except the ones in Mesa County, CO.

Now prop 123 statewide, I was very iffy about.

I did end up voting for it begrudgingly, but had reservations.

1) A statewide housing fund could take away statewide funding for education, law enforcement, and social services. At that point, I do not even care about the impact of tabor refunds.

2) Colorado may be expensive-ish, but it is not in every community of the state. Many jobs in Colorado also pay very well.

3) Colorado has lost of some of its growth charm statistics show, and making it more attractive to people who do not appreciate living in a state that is mountains and semi-arid is harmful to the environment.

4) It is plausible that having sectored off housing statewide could cause non-prop 123 housing (so to speak) balloon in price.

I ultimately voted for the measure as it was relatively modest and will do more good than harm on balance. But my answer for more affordable housing in Colorado? Building more and make the state less attractive to people. So many people move here and they are not a "fit" for the life style.

My main concern is in years of recession or budget short falls, how is this going to be funded? Only by taking away from funding from elsewhere.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies