Describe a Dukakis '88-Bush '92 voter

(1/2) > >>

King of Kensington:
Besides some Greek American conservatives.

Blow by blow, the passion dies:
Iowa farmer who got out of the farm crisis.

Sir Mohamed:
A liberal veteran who thought Clinton's issues with cheating on his wife and lack of military service were disqualifying.

darklordoftech:
Against the death penalty and strongly disapproves of cheating on one’s wife.

MarkD:
Me.

In 1988, I was thinking almost exclusively about the case of Bowers v. Hardwick, and how much I wanted to see that decision overturned. I voted for a liberal President because, at that time, I wanted the Supreme Court to turn a little bit more liberal. But in 1989 I decided that I would be more ideologically in tune with the GOP, and I started studying more about constitutional law, to determine whether Bowers truly deserved to be overturned. By 1992, I had learned enough about con law to realize that the Court's conclusion was correct, it shouldn't be overturned - like I had been hoping for, for the wrong reason - and I decided that Republican Presidents like Bush were more likely to appoint Originalists (and so were not likely to overturn Bowers).

But after the 2000 election - because of Bush v. Gore - I decided that the Republican-appointed Supreme Court Justices were no better than the Democratic-appointed ones. The Bush decision caused me to feel extremely pessimistic and hopeless, and it made me decide that I didn't want to vote ever again. I didn't vote any over a dozen years after I made that decision.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page