I might run for Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:09:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I might run for Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I might run for Congress  (Read 1988 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 04:00:43 PM »

Let me know if you need a pollster.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »

The fact that Geoff Young could win the Democratic nomination for KY-06 after being a perennial joke candidate routinely getting 1% of the vote before that made me regret not running last year, as I strongly believe I could have whipped his ass.

This is like the earliest of early stages imaginable in an entirely theoretical run as of this point, but I am seriously considering throwing my hat in the ring for 2024. I think getting my name out there would itself be a win, actually winning the primary obviously an even bigger one, and somehow beating Barr and winning the election about as good as it gets even if that's a total pipe dream.

More importantly, I'm finally at a point in my life where I feel relatively settled and secure, financially and otherwise, and I think I have the connections and clout needed in my area to mount a serious run. It is still a major undertaking though, even as a longshot candidate, so I would have to really dedicate myself to it, which is where my doubts come into play as to whether I could actually make it work or not. Right now it's still just a dream, but one that seems more plausible than ever before.

Of course, if my Atlas account was leaked, that might be the end of me, but then again other Atlasians have (infamously) been elected to actual statewide office and such before. And it seems in this day and age it's not necessarily fatal to have a controversial record on social media, though mine might be particularly problematic for a Democratic primary. Then again, Geoff Young was raving about how Ukraine was full of CIA Nazis on Twitter and still won, so... Honestly if I hadn't seen that nutjob win the primary and get over a third of the general electorate's vote, I wouldn't even be considering this. But if that can happen, no reason I can't do better.

What would the main points you emphasize in your campaign would be? Do you have any plans when you get into office other than simply voting on bills? What do you care most deeply about, enough so that you would spend time writing legislation about it, or enough so that its the first thing that you will list on your campaign website?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:38 PM »

Seems like no one else has declared as of yet according to Ballotopedia, which makes sense. I expect Young to try yet again, maybe the guy who narrowly lost to him in the primary last time, Preece? Otherwise, I don't see anyone trying for this seat. State legislators seem unlikely to me, as does Gray (the man's almost 70, even if he's out of a job due to Beshear losing I think he just retires).  The current mayor of Lexington is a Republican (though elections are nonpartisan) so they aren't a possibility.

Lexington has a Republican mayor?? Even though I understand Municipal elections tend to be particularly non-partisan both in name and spirit, that's still surprising.
I mean so do some other highly dem cities like Columbia SC.

Huh. Didn't know that. Though so did El Paso until recently.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 11:24:02 PM »

Seems like no one else has declared as of yet according to Ballotopedia, which makes sense. I expect Young to try yet again, maybe the guy who narrowly lost to him in the primary last time, Preece? Otherwise, I don't see anyone trying for this seat. State legislators seem unlikely to me, as does Gray (the man's almost 70, even if he's out of a job due to Beshear losing I think he just retires).  The current mayor of Lexington is a Republican (though elections are nonpartisan) so they aren't a possibility.

Lexington has a Republican mayor?? Even though I understand Municipal elections tend to be particularly non-partisan both in name and spirit, that's still surprising.
I mean so do some other highly dem cities like Columbia SC.

Huh. Didn't know that. Though so did El Paso until recently.
It was pointed to by a lot of right-wingers online as evidence for the RED WAVE!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »

You aren't always my ideal Democrat but given the district you would run in I would be more than enthusiastic about backing you. And even if you don't win...which you probably won't, you at least could make a statement.

Just curious though, who on Atlas has ever actually been elected to office? Local or statewide?

A British user here was infamously elected as a Lib Dem local councillor by mistake (he put his name up in a ward nobody thought would win as a favour to the local party), meaning he had to humiliatingly resign in three weeks citing "my girlfriend doesn't want me to do this" (he is gay).
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 10:18:45 AM »

Question is : can you put up with congress?

Good luck to you
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »

In a few years I might run for the Texas House
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 12:20:45 PM »

Good luck to you
Can't be any worse than USGD.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »

Good luck to you
Can't be any worse than USGD.
Is it really that bad?
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »

I mean if anybody can flip an R+9 district it's an atlasian. You have my full endorsement
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 08:23:44 AM »

Endorsed!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2023, 04:01:40 PM »

In a few years I might run for the Texas House
Endorsed!
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »

The fact that Geoff Young could win the Democratic nomination for KY-06 after being a perennial joke candidate routinely getting 1% of the vote before that made me regret not running last year, as I strongly believe I could have whipped his ass.

This is like the earliest of early stages imaginable in an entirely theoretical run as of this point, but I am seriously considering throwing my hat in the ring for 2024. I think getting my name out there would itself be a win, actually winning the primary obviously an even bigger one, and somehow beating Barr and winning the election about as good as it gets even if that's a total pipe dream.

More importantly, I'm finally at a point in my life where I feel relatively settled and secure, financially and otherwise, and I think I have the connections and clout needed in my area to mount a serious run. It is still a major undertaking though, even as a longshot candidate, so I would have to really dedicate myself to it, which is where my doubts come into play as to whether I could actually make it work or not. Right now it's still just a dream, but one that seems more plausible than ever before.

Of course, if my Atlas account was leaked, that might be the end of me, but then again other Atlasians have (infamously) been elected to actual statewide office and such before. And it seems in this day and age it's not necessarily fatal to have a controversial record on social media, though mine might be particularly problematic for a Democratic primary. Then again, Geoff Young was raving about how Ukraine was full of CIA Nazis on Twitter and still won, so... Honestly if I hadn't seen that nutjob win the primary and get over a third of the general electorate's vote, I wouldn't even be considering this. But if that can happen, no reason I can't do better.

ENDORSED
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 10:07:39 AM »

I think that if you feel like you have sufficient financial backing to do it, you should go for it. I've thought too about running at some point in my Michigan congressional district where a grassroots Democratic candidate could certainly rise up and win a primary. But knowing that in the end I'd be going up against an Amway-funded candidate, I think it would be a bit of a waste if I wasn't able to come anywhere close on fundraising.

So I say if you think you could have the financial support in the election and your professional and personal life allows it, go out there and break some eggs. You'd certainly have my endorsement here!
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2023, 03:51:05 PM »

You've inspired me to apply to grad school at the U of Kentucky so I can volunteer on your campaign.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 07:45:39 PM »

You aren't always my ideal Democrat but given the district you would run in I would be more than enthusiastic about backing you. And even if you don't win...which you probably won't, you at least could make a statement.

Just curious though, who on Atlas has ever actually been elected to office? Local or statewide?

A British user here was infamously elected as a Lib Dem local councillor by mistake (he put his name up in a ward nobody thought would win as a favour to the local party), meaning he had to humiliatingly resign in three weeks citing "my girlfriend doesn't want me to do this" (he is gay).

This is actually hilarious. Could only happen to an Atlas user!
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2023, 03:32:03 AM »

Endorsed.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »

Good luck!

But, if you really have a dream of a seat in Congress and you aren't personally wealthy or well-known in your area for other achievements, I'd suggest a different path. Congressional districts are large and it takes a big organization and a lot of money to win. There are a large number of more local races that are far easier to win with less money and smaller organizations. In many places there are seats on library boards and similar bodies that go unfilled at the election. By serving in a more local capacity you can build up recognition and supporters that will be essential in a run for higher office.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

Good luck!

But, if you really have a dream of a seat in Congress and you aren't personally wealthy or well-known in your area for other achievements, I'd suggest a different path. Congressional districts are large and it takes a big organization and a lot of money to win. There are a large number of more local races that are far easier to win with less money and smaller organizations. In many places there are seats on library boards and similar bodies that go unfilled at the election. By serving in a more local capacity you can build up recognition and supporters that will be essential in a run for higher office.

Hey, in your case, think big, rather than small. You've done the small. I think you are primed and ready to be Joe Manchin's running mate on a third party ticket. You would be perfect. Different regions of the country, different parties, different accents, and a huge vacuum to fill if the other choices are Biden and Trump.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2023, 03:15:12 PM »

Looking forward to you standing up to GOP anti-trans laws in Congress
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2023, 01:21:55 AM »

So taking the username "Alben Barkley" was a strategic choice?

To appeal to whom? The nonagenarian vote in KY-06?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2023, 02:09:27 AM »

So taking the username "Alben Barkley" was a strategic choice?

To appeal to whom? The nonagenarian vote in KY-06?

A come-from-behind upset in support from the dead is definitely one of the likelier ways for a Democrat to win on Kentucky...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2023, 10:03:32 AM »

We don't need a high-profile transphobic democrat in Congress.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies