Rep. Blumenauer (D) introduces bill to expand size of the House (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:54:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Blumenauer (D) introduces bill to expand size of the House (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Blumenauer (D) introduces bill to expand size of the House  (Read 1618 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 01, 2023, 09:24:49 PM »

And now to do some redistricting specifically for this...

Speaking of which, the more districts you have, the harder it is to gerrymander. Added bonuses are that lobbying is more expensive this way and it is cheaper for candidates to run.

The New Hampshire State House does this very well. I can't think of any downsides to this idea.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 09:45:11 PM »

And now to do some redistricting specifically for this...
The New Hampshire State House does this very well. I can't think of any downsides to this idea.

Think about how many more House members we would get from, say, Northwest Georgia. East Texas. Florida's Panhandle. Northwest Arizona. Western Colorado.

That's the funny thing about the NH State House: the upside is anyone can get elected there. The downside is anyone can get elected there.

But obviously there would be plenty more House members from other parts of the country as well.

Is the New Hampshire House actually bigger than the U.S. House?  If so, the U.S. House should always be the biggest.

I'm in favor of enlarging the size of the House - maybe to 501.  That seems like a basic number (taking into account the need for a majority threshold in a two-party system).  The residents of D.C. need a fully voting member for sure so that would be the first new seat I'd add.

Not quite. Still, 400 members: each representing about 3,300 residents.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies