I've read 15 books about the 2020 election...Ask me anything!

(1/19) > >>

Pres Mike:
Here they are....

Lucky: How Joe Biden Barely Won the Presidency
Jonathan Allen

Battle for the Soul: Inside the Democrats' Campaigns to Defeat Trump
Edward-Isaac Dovere

Peril
Bob Woodward

Frankly, We Did Win This Election: The Inside Story of How Trump Lost
Michael C. Bender

Joe Biden : the life, the run, and what matters now
Evan Osnos

Growing Up Biden: A Memoir
Valerie Biden Owens

A Return to Normalcy?: The 2020 Election that (Almost) Broke America
Larry Sabato

Landslide
Michael Wolff

Betrayal : the final act of the Trump show
Jonathan Karl

Divided We Stand
Andrew Busch and John Pitney

I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year
Carol Leonning and Philip Rucker

This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden, and the Battle for America's Future
Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns

The Fighting Soul: On the Road with Bernie Sanders
Ari-Rabin-Havt

The Long Alliance: The Imperfect Union of Joe Biden and Barack Obama
Gabriel Debenedetti

The Fight of His Life: Inside Joe Biden's White House
Chris Whipple

Stranger in a strange land:
1) Why did Bernie Sanders do worse in 2020 than in 2016, despite having four years to prepare, near-universal name recognition, and being viewed very positively by Democratic primary voters?
2) What was Kamala Harris's plan after her "that little girl was me" confrontation with Biden in that debate, if any? The attacks on Biden on busing never made much sense, because at some point she would have had to argue that busing was good and should be brought back, which is a position that maybe 10% of the population holds, and the policy was never very popular even in the Black community.
3) Why did polls show a bigger lead for Biden than the final results? The polling miss was even bigger than in 2016, they just got the winner right. By contrast, the polls in 2018 were much closer to the mark (though still of in a few key races), and 2022 had an error in the other direction

Pres Mike:
Quote from: Stranger in a strange land on February 01, 2023, 12:59:28 PM

1) Why did Bernie Sanders do worse in 2020 than in 2016, despite having four years to prepare, near-universal name recognition, and being viewed very positively by Democratic primary voters?
2) What was Kamala Harris's plan after her "that little girl was me" confrontation with Biden in that debate, if any? The attacks on Biden on busing never made much sense, because at some point she would have had to argue that busing was good and should be brought back, which is a position that maybe 10% of the population holds, and the policy was never very popular even in the Black community.
3) Why did polls show a bigger lead for Biden than the final results? The polling miss was even bigger than in 2016, they just got the winner right. By contrast, the polls in 2018 were much closer to the mark (though still of in a few key races), and 2022 had an error in the other direction

1. Bernie Sander's campaign expected to lose some support from 2016 to 2020. Some support would be lost to Warren, a fellow progressive. But not a lot because Sanders mostly competed with Biden for voters. Both Biden and Sanders were "beer" while Warren was "wine". They also expected to lose some votes to Biden because of name recongition and some to youth support to "flavor of the month" candidiates. They also acknowledged that Sanders in 2016 had some support because some Democrats just wanted a male or protested Hillary. Some of Bernie's 2016 support just wanted Biden and Bernie was a place holder.

Sanders campaign knew the only way to win was by winning a pluratiy and than a contested convention.

2. Kamala's plan from the start was to be VP. If she became the nominee the better. The "that little girl was me" actually took her campaign by surpise, they weren't expected such a reaction. Thus could not build from that. The Harris campaign was a s*** show behind the scenes and was never going to become a successful operation. So basically no plan.

3. Both the Biden and Trump campaigns knew the polls over performed for Biden. The Biden campaign knew they weren't going to win Florida from internal polls. The Biden campaign final predictions were pretty close, they were only wrong about North Carolina.

Why were the polls wrong again? I don't think any of the books go into great detail. Some things about Trump voters not picking up the phone to Democrats being more likely to stay home.

Sir Mohamed:
Why do you think Biden was unable to carry NC? What lessons need to be learned for Dems to finally win the state in 2024?

VirginiaAaron:
I've read that some people around Trump knew it would be an uphill battle for them, is that true and was Trump being told that or was he just completely left out of the dark?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page