States where Biden won whites without college degrees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:24:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  States where Biden won whites without college degrees
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States where Biden won whites without college degrees  (Read 2747 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2023, 08:30:27 PM »

All in New England or the West Coast.

White noncollege

California  51-47 D
Massachusetts  52-46 D
Rhode Island  57-42 D
Vermont (almost certainly but no data)
Washington  53-45 D

Oregon was a tie, 49-49.  Hawaii likely, but no data.
maclennanc2
Rookie
Niger

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 03:59:57 PM »

Interesting they went stronger for Biden in RI than MA.

Is Rhode Island the last redoubt of the "White ethnic blue collar Democrat"?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 08:12:20 PM »

Does this include college students who techinically don't have the degree yet?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 11:47:48 PM »

Yes it would.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 05:37:49 PM »

Washington is the biggest surprise to me given how the rural pacific northwest is home to a lot of far-right crazies. I guess that non-college whites in the Seattle area just outnumber them and also many are probably counter-cultural types that didn’t get a college degree because they were pursuing a more artistic career.

This goes to my theory that Republicans may be nearing their ceiling with non-college whites (except perhaps in New England) because many of the remainder who still vote Democrat do because they’re committed social liberals.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 11:49:03 PM »

Pretty much, yeah. RI's generally more "downscale" than MA, arguably the most in New England. It has fewer minorities (particularly black - 5% to MA's 11%, which certainly adds to MA's Democratic lean), and RI whites are less college educated than MA whites, yet it's almost as safe for the Dems (arguably even more so on the state level). So that basically necessitates that white ethnic blue collars are voting for Democrats, because of course, RI does have its share of Republicans.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:53:23 PM »

Washington is the biggest surprise to me given how the rural pacific northwest is home to a lot of far-right crazies. I guess that non-college whites in the Seattle area just outnumber them and also many are probably counter-cultural types that didn’t get a college degree because they were pursuing a more artistic career.

There's a share of far-right crazies in the PNW, because the rugged and secluded setting appeals to that set. But it also appeals to all kinds of other people. Democrats don't do that bad in the interior compared to rural America in general so there's certainly a base of liberals, and probably some blue-collar moderates who still vote for the left.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 11:45:06 AM »

California is surprising to me. Where do them bulk of liberal whites without college degrees live? Certainly some areas of the northern coast fall into this category but I wouldn’t think of working class whites in socal being leftwing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 09:06:38 PM »

This goes to my theory that Republicans may be nearing their ceiling with non-college whites (except perhaps in New England) because many of the remainder who still vote Democrat do because they’re committed social liberals.

For whatever reason, it is assumed that western Washington is an annex of Microsoft or Amazon when Seattle was known as a subsidiary of Boeing, with all that this implies. Tacoma, Everett, Renton and a lot of other parts of the Seattle metro area are still quite 'white working class'. They are also full of Democrats.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 09:41:45 PM »

California is surprising to me. Where do them bulk of liberal whites without college degrees live? Certainly some areas of the northern coast fall into this category but I wouldn’t think of working class whites in socal being leftwing.
The same place that liberals with college degrees live in ?
bayareabay
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »

Marin county is a good example. While they are mostly college graduates, it's one of the whitest counties in California and had the highest level of support for Biden behind only SF county.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »

Ski Country, Hemp Coast, college towns, big time surf towns.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 01:42:45 AM »

I mean in absolute numbers most of them live where other white people in California live. I do agree its notable that California WWC is to the left of Oregon now which I think suggests selective outmigration.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 01:27:09 PM »

White noncollege

California  51-47 D
Massachusetts  52-46 D
Rhode Island  57-42 D
Washington  53-45 D

Where are these numbers from? I can't seem to find them.

If RI is accurate it means there must have been very little difference between the college and non-college educated white vote there, unlike nationally where it was almost 20 points.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2023, 11:13:34 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2023, 08:29:15 PM by Bernie Huckabee Sanders »

Keep in mind that more people in RI live in Providence or its immediate suburbs which adds to its democratic lean.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 11:16:03 PM »

Keep in mind that more people in RI o live in Providence or its immediate suburbs which adds to its democratic lean.
Around 60% of RI's population lives just in Providence County, iirc.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 12:23:18 PM »

Lots of people still move to SoCal in hopes of getting into acting or entertainment. Many entertainment-related professions don't require a degree. Even though most of them end up doing other things, the type of person who "sets off to Hollywood to make it big and become a star" typically has a personality that lends itself to a liberal or left-wing worldview.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »

White noncollege

California  51-47 D
Massachusetts  52-46 D
Rhode Island  57-42 D
Washington  53-45 D

Where are these numbers from? I can't seem to find them.

If RI is accurate it means there must have been very little difference between the college and non-college educated white vote there, unlike nationally where it was almost 20 points.

Seems like it matches the AP votecast survey (RI cross tabs can be found here on NYT). The top line MOE is 6.3% for RI, so the cross tabs can certainly be wonky.

But regardless, it also has 58-40 Biden for college educated whites, and no significant difference between overall college vs non college (former is 60-39 Biden, latter is 59-39 Biden) There could be some ancestral effect going on, as the survey also has Biden's 65+ performance matching his statewide performance, or maybe a culturally liberal retiree thing is captured there. I wouldn't be surprised at Biden winning the non-college white vote in RI, but I do suspect small sample size is giving an incorrect conclusion of no education gap.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies