Ontario Liberal leadership race

(1/20) > >>

King of Kensington:
Haven't seen a thread on this.

A group of Ontario Liberals are trying to recruit Green leader Mike Schreiner to cross the floor and run for the leadership.

https://www.draftmike.ca/

Some big names have signed including former finance minister Greg Sorbara. 

And it sounds like Schreiner is thinking about it:

https://twitter.com/MikeSchreiner/status/1620180527000223745/photo/1

RogueBeaver:
NES, Naqvi and Hsu are the current candidates. Only remote comparison for Schreiner I can think of is PCs trying to draft Harper 25 years ago, and Schreiner won't be merging the parties.

Benjamin Frank:
Quote from: RogueBeaver on January 30, 2023, 08:16:13 PM

NES, Naqvi and Hsu are the current candidates. Only remote comparison for Schreiner I can think of is PCs trying to draft Harper 25 years ago, and Schreiner won't be merging the parties.

I like Nethanial Erskine Smith, but as I read about a candidate in some other leadership race just a few days ago (I think it was James Laxer) "a guy who isn't a team player shouldn't lead the team."

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ:
Quote from: Benjamin Frank on January 30, 2023, 10:07:30 PM

Quote from: RogueBeaver on January 30, 2023, 08:16:13 PM

I like Nethanial Erskine Smith, but as I read about a candidate in some other leadership race just a few days ago (I think it was James Laxer) "a guy who isn't a team player shouldn't lead the team."

Erskine-Smith would be interesting in that it would be a shakeup to the old OLP formula of picking bland establishment politicians who are very good at organizing (that's what Del Duca was supposed to be, but we all saw how that turned out, so it makes sense to want to shake things up).

But tbh, I agree with that James Laxer quote as far as NES goes. Political observers and journalists love a maverick, but they don't usually make for great leaders of large, existing organizations. There's also the question of whether he's fishing out of the same pond as Marit Stiles - both downtown Toronto progressives, only Stiles has a stronger political resume and leads a party that is currently much bigger than the OLP by every metric.

I'd make the same move if I were Nate though. His career isn't going anywhere federally, and he's still young, so why not take the chance

adma:
Interesting to note that the 3rd place candidate in the 1982 OLP leadership race, Richard Thomas (who came within six votes of defeating the PCs' Ernie Eves in Parry Sound in  '81), moved on to the Green Party and got, at 17.64%, their best pre-Y2K result in Ontario in '90 (pushing the NDP, in their Bob Rae landslide year, into their only 4th-place/lost-deposit finish)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page