Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
American Baptist Churches

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

The Episcopal Church

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Presbyterian Church (USA)

United Church of Christ

United Methodist Church

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Favorite of the 7 largest US Mainline Protestant denominations  (Read 4491 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: May 28, 2023, 06:55:49 PM »

Methodists, but I have more affinity for the part that is splitting.  Emphasizing free will and holiness, and treating women equally much earlier on than the others are all very good.  Communion having supernatural meaning but not being taken 100% literally seems reasonable to me.  I also think alcohol is a bad influence on most people most of the time, but I'm not absolutist about it.  However, I find some of the theological developments of the past 20-30 years concerning and would definitely fall on the conservative end of the Methodist spectrum. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 01:33:16 PM »

I find it curious that the Disciples were eventually categorized as Mainline.  I feel like you would have to literally just use a "Mainline = theologically liberal" definition (which I find problematic) to categorize them that way.  I know their church theology has changed a lot over the years, but I have a hard time counting a "Restorationist" group as "Mainline Protestant" on principle, haha.

I feel like traditional Protestantism (which "Mainline" originally attempted to describe) largely rejects the restorationist idea that "true Christianity" was lost for centuries and centuries and only these new Nineteenth Century preachers can properly show us how to worship.

Yes, this is a good point.  I think you really need a pre-Revolutionary War connection to be considered Mainline, ideally a connection to the Reformation itself.  Methodism is even debatable, because it was originally a reform movement within the Anglicans, but ended up having a decidedly low church, rural America streak by the mid 19th century. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 01:32:17 PM »

In case it would help any hyper-partisans of Atlas, I decided to check how many Senators were members of any of these churches...

Follow-up for US Presidents.  Keep in mind, some of these might be predecessors to the seven listed in the poll ... for example, I believe Warren Harding was "Northern Baptist" or something like that, but it became the American Baptist Churches (USA).  Also, James K. Polk was part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but that eventually merged into the United Methodist Church.

The Episcopal Church
George Washington (NP-VA)
James Madison (DR-VA)
James Monroe (DR-VA)

William Henry Harrison (W-OH)
John Tyler (W-VA)
Zachary Taylor (W-LA)

Franklin Pierce (D-NH)
Chester A. Arthur (R-NY)
Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-NY)
George H. W. Bush (R-TX)

Presbyterian Church in the USA
Andrew Jackson (D-TN)
James Buchanan (D-PA)
Grover Cleveland (D-NY)

Benjamin Harrison (R-IN)
Woodrow Wilson (D-NJ)
Dwight D. Eisenhower (R-KS)
Gerald Ford (R-MI)
Ronald Reagan (R-CA)

United Methodist Church
James K. Polk (D-TN)
Ulysses S. Grant (R-IL)
William McKinley (R-OH)
George W. Bush (R-TX)

American Baptist Churches (USA)
Warren G. Harding (R-OH)
Harry S. Truman (D-MO)

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
James A. Garfield (R-OH)
Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX)

United Church of Christ
Calvin Coolidge (R-MA)

Hopefully I did not miss any, lol.  Martin Van Buren and Theodore Roosevelt were both members of the Reformed Church in America, which is considered Mainline Protestant but is not one of the "Seven Sisters" in the poll.  Other Protestants include four "non-denominational" (Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Barack Obama and Donald Trump) and two Southern Baptists (Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton).  The remaining Presidents are either Catholic, Non-Trinitarian (i.e., Unitarian) or their religious affiliations were unclear.

The non-correlation between which denominations are known for being more liberal/conservative and the political beliefs of the presidents they elected is notable. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies