Ecuadorian elections (referendum, 21 April 2024) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:56:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ecuadorian elections (referendum, 21 April 2024) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ecuadorian elections (referendum, 21 April 2024)  (Read 43990 times)
Sadader
Botswana

« on: February 06, 2023, 08:30:10 AM »
« edited: February 06, 2023, 08:39:42 AM by Sadader »

Wow.

Lasso was a dead man walking anyway so honestly I don't see how much this matters outside of the pointing to an RC victory at the next pres election. What does this even mean?

Judging by the move in Ecuadorian financial markets you'd think that there'd been an armed coup lol
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »

Seems everything is heading towards a premature end of the Lasso presidency, the question being now how this will happen

Hmm, I initially thought the reaction to the election was extreme. Is it certain that Lasso doesn't make it to the next election? It looks a little like the CONAIE are overextending.

It looks like investors are seeing this quite badly. Ecuador's dollar bonds have tanked from 55 cents on the dollar to 35 cents on the dollar - the expectation is certain default! So much for that restructuring. Zero faith.

Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 01:27:22 AM »

Constitutional court (6-3) has given the go-ahead for the impeachment proceedings. RIP Lasso - my feeling here is that there are almost certainly 92 votes against him. The only question here is whether he's foolhardy enough to go for the Muerta Cruzada instead of letting Borrero step up. I suppose I didnt understand the constitution at all; I thought the one-impeachment-attempt-only clause applied for all cases.

https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/politica/juicio-politico-al-presidente-guillermo-lasso-se-reduce-a-peculado-la-corte-constitucional-inadmitio-el-juicio-por-concusion-nota/

Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 06:52:21 AM »

Period for the presentation of proofs has passed. It looks like the next stage is for some individuals to testify and for congress to hold the hearings, then the commission in charge will present to the rest of the legislators with a report containing a recommendation on how to advance the case.

Borrero was in DC for the IMF meetings and met with some of the multilateral organizations and US gov officials. Seems the US and prefers a transition to Borrero rather than the muerte cruzada. Ecuador's essentially insolvent pending reforms or meaningfully higher oil prices, and for short-term funding it seems they'll go to IADB. Once the impeachment is done, they can think about resuming the IMF programme, though they drew $1bn recently to cover the earthquake/rain impacts.

I have a pretty shallow reading on Ecuador, but honestly it might be funny if the situation wasn't so dire for millions of people. Lasso was on CNN insisting that Congress would not have the votes to remove him, and he kept threatening a muerte cruzada.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2023, 07:09:40 AM by Sadader »

wow, we got a Muerte Cruzada  

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/17/world/americas/ecuador-president-dissolves-congress.html

RC presidency/congress sweep incoming?
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 07:01:12 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2023, 07:19:14 AM by Sadader »

Polls from this week and last week seem mixed, though are usually unreliable

Comunicaliza had Gonzalez at 25.9%, Sonnenholzner with 11.2% and Yaku Perez with 10.3%

Numma (don't know it) had Gonzalez at 6% (guessing fieldwork was pre-announcement), Sonnenholzner with 17%, and Yaku Perez with 14%

No idea how these runoffs would stack up. Extremely rough guess for chances of each permutation;

70% Gonzalez-Perez
20% Gonzalez-Sonnenholzner
10% Perez-Sonnenholzner; Sonnenholzner advantage?
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 03:00:07 AM »

How right wing is Sonnenholzner by the way?

Sonnenholzner is one of the various Ecuadorian politicians who signed in 2021 the VOX-sponsored Madrid Charter...

I'm pretty confident this will come down to González v Sonnenholzner in the runoff

How do you think this plays out? Can González mess up this lead or is this pretty much done now?
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 11:57:09 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2023, 12:48:31 AM by Sadader »

Noboa winning is pretty surprising, though maybe it shouldn't be given the track record of polling. I know nothing about Noboa apart from his name and that he went to Russia after the invasion of Ukraine. What are his policies?

Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 08:39:45 AM »

it's looking a lot closer now right? I think González could take this
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 08:43:39 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2023, 10:18:32 AM by Sadader »

Noboa also appeared confident about having a majority (between 80 and 90 votes) to get his economic laws being approved (mentions have been made about a fiscal reform to increase the state’s revenues).

This alliance seems about as doomed as Lasso's attempt lol. And how can they possible raise taxes or cut spending? I feel like his agenda will be dead on day one. Are there any details on this fiscal reform?
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 01:52:06 AM »

Sariha Moya's nomination as Finance minister apparently garnered some quite bad reactions from the international Banks; the external public debt is pricing in a near-certainty of yet another default; for instance this 2040 bond is 30c on the dollar. Noboa is moving Moya to the planning ministry instead and will announce a new finance minister today

He'll also declare a state of emergency so he can simultaneously present a tax reform bill and an energy reform bill, after which he will submit bills on tourism and development zones.

https://www.primicias.ec/noticias/politica/adn-leyes-economicas-urgentes-acuerdo-rc-psc/

https://www.primicias.ec/noticias/politica/daniel-noboa-posesion-gobierno-ecuador/
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 02:05:49 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2023, 03:03:02 AM by Sadader »

So remembering back to Macroeconomics 101, it looks like Noboa is doomed...

We can estimate what will happen over the next few years using the fundamental Balance of Payments identity: Change in FX reserves = Current Account Surplus (net trade + foreign income) + Capital Account + Financial Account (e.g. foreign direct investment, portfolio investment, new loans)

Let’s look at 2024-2027, and say we have a GDP of $110bn and real growth of 2%

Debt: $11,353 million is maturing 2024-2027 from official multilateral bilateral sources (IMF, World Bank China) – we can make the very positive assumption that all of that will be replaced by new loans, so call it 0 net. Then we have $2144mn of private external debt, e.g. bank loans and Eurobonds; Ecuador is too risky to issue new debt so these will have to be paid from reserves. There's also $ 9,383mn of domestic debt maturing which I will assume will just be replaced with new domestic debt, so net zero.

Interest: External+Internal government debt interest on everything through 2024 to 2027 = $10.765bn ($2.8bn domestic debt interest + $7.9bn external debt interest)

Trade: We can say Ecuador will probably run a surplus of +$1.5bn per year, down from 2-3bn before, given the closure of Block 43 and lower oil prices. Worth remembering that the current account = savings investment balance, most of which is driven by spending; reducing the fiscal deficit would make the public savings and investment balance more positive which would make current account more positive. If you're only worried about debt sustainability, Noboa's policy of cutting taxes (and hence increasing imports) is insane. Ecuador is a relatively open economy (~27% exports to GDP) so debt is fundamentally quite sustainable despite solvency issues; external debt is fundamentally a claim on reserves and export proceeds; thus fundamentally different from domestic debt so in worst case Ecuador could generate necessary dollars by shrinking domestic demand to compress imports while keeping exports high.

Foreign Invesment: assume $800mn yearly foreign direct investment if Noboa’s reforms succeed.

So we get, for 2024-2027

Change in reserves = Current Account + Capital Account + Financial Account
= (Trade Surplus + Other foreign income such as remittances + FX debt interest) + (Capital Account) + (Net foreign loans + foreign direct investment + portfolio investment)
= ($1500mn*4 + -10765) + (0) + (-2144 + 800*4 + 0)
= (-4765) + (0) + (1056)
= -$3709mn

Ecuador has $6bn of reserves now, so 6-3.709 = $2.3bn reserves end-2027. Because of dollarisation the central bank needs 2,910 million in reserves (total deposits from public/private financial entities) to keep the banking system running. Hence Ecuador will default in 2026-2027.

And it gets worse… I haven’t accounted for the non-interest part of the fiscal deficit; this year’s fiscal deficit will be ~4.2%, and if Noboa cuts taxes this will get higher. Using the equation total deficit = primary deficit + debt interest, we get primary deficits (fiscal deficit excluding debt interest) of ~$2bn a year. So there’s an extra $2bn*4 = $8bn that need to be funded somewhere, either from reserves (no reserves) or debt (no-one wants to lend to Ecuador, especially that much). I don't know if Ecuador can add this much ($8bn primary deficit + $2.8bn domestic debt interest +  7.9bn external debt interest) to domestic debt. If we assume that all drains reserves, we get 6-3.709-8 = -$5.709bn in reserves in 2027…  If Ecuador wants to avoid default, it needs to generate primary surpluses; the IMF program envisaged primary surpluses of 2-3% - see p28 table 2a. This would bring Debt / GDP to ~42.0% in 2027 from 60% today

I feel terrible for Noboa. He either needs to
1. Default now before Ecuador inevitably drains all of its resources
2. Reverse the block 43 closure (is going to reduce tax revenue by $1.2bn a year) or start extracting way more oil.
3. Raise taxes/cut spending (politically impossible and would probably make things worse) and hope for a growth and export miracle. I would never want to excuse Lasso, but his tax/spending actions seem more justifiable in context.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 06:57:29 AM »

So remembering back to Macroeconomics 101, it looks like Noboa is doomed...

Noboa has done an incredible job. Enduring change will be harder but so far he's way beyond my expectations; he's implemented every difficult policy in spite (or because of) the security crisis. Maybe Vega even uses this forum Smiley

The USD bonds ($17bn total) have risen in price by 50% since I wrote the above comment, so investors think Noboa has likely evaded default and catastrophe

https://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/bond/xs2214238953-ecuador-republik-3-5-20-35
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies