Biden admin proposes 2030 Census changes: MENA category, combined race-ethnicity question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:54:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Biden admin proposes 2030 Census changes: MENA category, combined race-ethnicity question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden admin proposes 2030 Census changes: MENA category, combined race-ethnicity question  (Read 1885 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« on: January 28, 2023, 11:05:38 PM »

Terrible move. Jews and Arabs are white, and the move to separate them comes from a desire to further fractionalize and divide the US. Hispanic and Latino shouldn't be a category at all.

This forum will not allow me to use the words I want to describe my rage at this. My mother didn’t get called sand n***** in school for people like you to erase her identity.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 02:54:35 PM »

Terrible move. Jews and Arabs are white, and the move to separate them comes from a desire to further fractionalize and divide the US. Hispanic and Latino shouldn't be a category at all.

This forum will not allow me to use the words I want to describe my rage at this. My mother didn’t get called sand n***** in school for people like you to erase her identity.

Racism and anti-semitism can occur without making someone non-white. Black people can hate black people, white people can hate white people, etc, without changing them from black to non-black or white to non-white.

But that is actually how Race in america works. In the most simpliest since you have "White" and "Not white". With the definitions basically being what ever cultural groups are in acceptance being "white" and everyone else being "not white".

But arabic people have been othered. Historically, culturally, religiously, culinarally, every other -ly arabic people are not white. They are only considered white by people who are ignorant. There is little shared history, there is little shared culturally. The only whites that are somewhat close are the greeks and thats only from proximity. The assertation of skin color as the only marker of race does not hold water. If it is pale skin that makes a person white then why aren't the Japanese considered white.

This also isn't a modern thing. This exact thing as I mentioned about the Japanese was brought before the supreme court in 1922. Also if you want to go by "Caucasian" that should also exclude Arabs as they migrated from central Asia and north Africa.

Even linguisitcally Arabic shows my former point to be true. There is literally no metric I know of that makes sense to group Arabic people into "White". The only reason I can think of is if you want to say all the lands that were once ruled by Rome are now "white" but that still doesn't make sense as the people who lived in the Middle East then were mostly Copts.

Also you can be white and arabic at the same time. I always dread have to only check white on forms cause that is not all who I am. I look forward to the day where I can check both white for my dad's side and arabic for my mom.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies