Rosendale vs Zinke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rosendale vs Zinke
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is a stronger candidate to run against Tester?
Rosendale

Zinke

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Rosendale vs Zinke  (Read 798 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2023, 10:34:06 AM »

Both seem to have some flaws, but who would be better suited to defeat Tester?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 10:43:34 AM »

Zinke, I suppose?

Rosendale comes off as too ideological extreme and lost before.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »

Never underestimate Ryan Zinke's talent for weathering a problematic past with his time-tested combination of a carefully crafted persona that reinvents itself with each talk show host/audience it meets, a healthy dose of superficial/slick Navy SEAL charm, and the reddest of red meat.

I prefer Rosendale as a legislator/man, but more principled candidates don’t necessarily (and arguably rarely) make better candidates. I’d trust Zinke to navigate a competitive statewide election sooner than I’d trust Rosendale.

Obviously Gianforte would be preferable to either, but I do think Democrats on this board (and elsewhere) overstate how "easy" an opponent Zinke in particular would be.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 04:29:13 PM »

Obviously the Presidential race will greatly reduce ticket splitting, but given that Rosendale lost this race in 2018 when turnout was higher than 2016, it's a very striking red flag for his chances.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:41:42 PM »

Ryan Zinke is much better at being a slick and would therefore be the better choice.

I’d love to see Maryland Matt run just so that he can lose badly and his seat goes to a Democrat. Same thing for Greg the Bodyslammer.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 12:14:26 AM »

Zinke seems like a generic Republican.

I think if elected, he would listen to McConnell or whoever the leader is, and be a typical establishment GOP senator. Not much different from Steve Daines.

Rosendale would be a thorn in the side of leadership. For that reason, dark money will flood the race to make sure he is not the nominee.

Zinke is more likely to defeat Tester, than Rosendale is.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 02:27:18 AM »

Ryan Zinke came incrediblly close to loosing in 2022 despite the dems having given up on his seat.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 02:47:30 AM »

Obviously the Presidential race will greatly reduce ticket splitting, but given that Rosendale lost this race in 2018 when turnout was higher than 2016, it's a very striking red flag for his chances.

Actually, 2018 turnout was lower than 2016:

YearTotal Votes CastTotal Registered VotersTurnout Percentage
201651690169437074.44%
201850921371184471.53%

Of course, turnout alone can't fully explain election results; Rosendale won in 2016 against a non-incumbent Democratic opponent but lost in 2018 against an incumbent Democratic opponent running for re-election before winning in 2020 against another non-incumbent Democratic opponent. (As I mentioned elsewhere, since 2014 the only Democrats who won statewide elections in MT were those who were running for reelection to their existing offices, and that applied to Bullock in 2016 and Tester in 2018; all other Democratic statewide candidates were running for positions they hadn't yet occupied and were all defeated by their respective Republican opponents.)
JMT

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 07:37:50 AM »

Ryan Zinke came incrediblly close to loosing in 2022 despite the dems having given up on his seat.

Yeah I actually think Rosendale would be the stronger candidate, for this reason. Zinke just has so much baggage, and he barely won both his primary and general election in 2022 as a result.

Sure, Rosendale lost this seat in 2018, but I think 2024 will be much more favorable to the GOP, and in a presidential year I think Rosendale will have a better shot given how red Montana is. And Rosendale is a thorn in GOP leadership’s side, but I’m not so sure that will be a liability in a conservative state.

That said, I think Rosendale and Zinke are both flawed candidates and the GOP would probably be better served if neither of them ran/were the nominee. The question is, who would run instead? The only other name I’ve heard thrown around is Greg Gianforte, but I imagine he runs for re-election as Governor instead.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »

Actually, 2018 turnout was lower than 2016:

YearTotal Votes CastTotal Registered VotersTurnout Percentage
201651690169437074.44%
201850921371184471.53%

Of course, turnout alone can't fully explain election results; Rosendale won in 2016 against a non-incumbent Democratic opponent but lost in 2018 against an incumbent Democratic opponent running for re-election before winning in 2020 against another non-incumbent Democratic opponent. (As I mentioned elsewhere, since 2014 the only Democrats who won statewide elections in MT were those who were running for reelection to their existing offices, and that applied to Bullock in 2016 and Tester in 2018; all other Democratic statewide candidates were running for positions they hadn't yet occupied and were all defeated by their respective Republican opponents.)

I was referring to the differential between 2016 Pres and 2018 Sen directly - roughly 7,000 more votes were cast in the latter race than the former. This is incredibly rare and not likely to be replicated, especially with both the Presidential and Senate race on the same ballot. Rosendale looks even weaker when you see that the same dynamic happened in the concurrent 2018 House race yet Gianforte still managed to win.

Entirely possible given the turnout figures you cite that this was due to an abnormally large number of voters blanking the Presidential race in 2016 (this looks likely given that the House race in 2016 saw more votes cast than the Presidential). This is another dynamic not likely to be replicated and if it is somehow, Tester will need the lion's share of Presidential nonvoters.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 01:01:14 PM »

A bit off topic, but I just found out that independent Gary Buchanan got more votes than the Democratic party candidate against Rosendale last year. Can you tell us exactly how he managed to do it and if he's got any future in MT politics, MT Treasurer? Thanks!
kwabbit

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 02:24:47 PM »

This seat would be easily winnable for the generic R but the MT GOP seems to have a penchant for only having below average candidates. Only Steve Daines doesn’t have a lot of baggage. I don’t know who would be better between Zinke or Rosendale, but neither inspire confidence. Rosendale already lost to Tester and was part of the speakership election charade, but the Zinke did poorly in both the primary and the general in 2022. Gianforte would win though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies