What is the logic behind banning things like batons, but keeping handguns legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is the logic behind banning things like batons, but keeping handguns legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the logic behind banning things like batons, but keeping handguns legal?  (Read 387 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2023, 04:57:33 AM »
« edited: January 25, 2023, 05:10:58 AM by TheReckoning »

Why do a lot of states (like California and New York) ban batons, but keep handguns legal, since handguns are a lot more dangerous?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »

Because it's easier to get it through the courts.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »

This is pretty much correct. When I had to rewrite our protests and parades ordinance, we banned a long list of objects that could be used as weapons, from billiard balls, to shields, to thick flagstaffs, to waterguns and water balloons filled with piss, to even simulated or toy guns, but because of constitutional issues we did not ban guns.

In our weapons code carrying nunchucks and ninja throwing stars on the bus is banned but not guns (and I removed the ban on switchblades since those are legal now).

Basically, its a way to do something since there is a gun lobby who sues but not really a mele weapons lobby who does the same. The Supreme Court did rule in Caetano that the 2nd amendment applies to weapons other than guns, but there is very little case law as to what that means as far as the 2nd amendment.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 12:14:58 AM »

This is pretty much correct. When I had to rewrite our protests and parades ordinance, we banned a long list of objects that could be used as weapons, from billiard balls, to shields, to thick flagstaffs, to waterguns and water balloons filled with piss, to even simulated or toy guns, but because of constitutional issues we did not ban guns.

In our weapons code carrying nunchucks and ninja throwing stars on the bus is banned but not guns (and I removed the ban on switchblades since those are legal now).

Basically, its a way to do something since there is a gun lobby who sues but not really a mele weapons lobby who does the same. The Supreme Court did rule in Caetano that the 2nd amendment applies to weapons other than guns, but there is very little case law as to what that means as far as the 2nd amendment.

Do you think if I was arrested for owning a baton and challenged the arrest under 2nd Amendment grounds, would I win my case?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 01:22:56 AM »

they would gladly ban all legal weapon ownership if they could because they incorrectly assume criminals could never get weapons if they are illegal because they are empty suits who don't understand how easy it is for clever people to make things without help from the govt or big business.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 01:25:10 AM »

I don't think it's a big secret that handguns being legal in a state like NY is not for a lack of trying
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 02:46:10 AM »

they would gladly ban all legal weapon ownership if they could because they incorrectly assume criminals could never get weapons if they are illegal because they are empty suits who don't understand how easy it is for clever people to make things without help from the govt or big business.

Well, criminals can get drugs despite them being illegal, so I guess it's time to legalize them too.
Amirite?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 04:56:54 AM »

Well, criminals can get drugs despite them being illegal, so I guess it's time to legalize them too.
Amirite?
yes, of course.  It always has been.

To be clear, things shouldn't be legal because of how easy they are to produce, things should be legal because humans should have the liberty to decide what they do with they free time and should have the ability to defend themselves in the safest, most efficient way possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies