Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history  (Read 1502 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2023, 06:28:21 AM »

The entire appeal of DeSantis is that he's obsessed with culture war issues and owning the libs. Not sure how he's going to simultaneously play the part of "serious, agenda-driven governor who gets results" and "TPUSA spokesman". He has to pick one or the other.

He only has support because some Republicans think Trump would lose a general election. 95% of DeSantis > Trump supporters would still vote for Trump in the general, or would switch back to Trump if there was no longer a perception that DeSantis would be a stronger candidate.

The problem is he's going to turn off independents if he continues talking like a lunatic. That stuff might work in Florida, but it's not going to work elsewhere.

Brian Kemp has governed to the right of DeSantis on both economic and social issues yet he did very well with CEW voters who voted for Warnock.

What does this have to do with Brian Kemp? I don’t know why you’re bringing him up. Please try to stay on-topic.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2023, 09:33:36 PM »

LOL
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:04 PM »

I strongly dislike the word queer. I'm not queer, I'm gay. And calling me queer is a good way for me to no longer speak to you.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »

Ron DeSantis is right, queer theory has nothing to do with black history....

Ya'll see what he is doing right? He creates culture issues out of thin air. CRT is dumb and shouldn't be taught in public schools, but it never was. Teachers shouldn't talk about their personal lives, but they weren't.

What DeSantis does is create an imaginary issue, words it correctly, than forces blue hair people on twitter to respond to make the entire Democratic Party look bad. He plays the blue hair twitter people like fools.

100% bet that someone is on Twitter this very moment arguing that "queer theory" is sooo important to African American studies and how they are linked.

I have an idea. How about we not create a thread everytime DeSantis says something silly
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »

FWIW, I don't mind being referred to as queer.

https://www.cjr.org/language_corner/queer.php

https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2019/08/21/752330316/a-former-slur-is-reclaimed-and-listeners-have-mixed-feelings
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2023, 03:17:24 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 03:20:45 PM by Horus »

Yeah, I get that some academics are trying to reclaim it. To me, it's ugly, and more to the point, seems to refer to a specific section of the LGBT community who are obsessed with gender and activism related to their gender/orientation/whatever else. Your average brunch gay or lipstick lesbian is very much not included in their "club" as they're too heteronormative or whatever the new buzzword is today.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2023, 03:33:26 PM »

Yeah, I get that some academics are trying to reclaim it. To me, it's ugly, and more to the point, seems to refer to a specific section of the LGBT community who are obsessed with gender and activism related to their gender/orientation/whatever else. Your average brunch gay or lipstick lesbian is very much not included in their "club" as they're too heteronormative or whatever the new buzzword is today.

I wish people would chill about all of this. I have never in my life allowed what others think to be who I am. And I think people sense that in me. And perhaps that is why  I have never been bullied by anyone because of who I am. Being overly sensitive can make one vulnerable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 03:46:21 PM by Horus »

I wish people would chill about all of this. I have never in my life allowed what others think to be who I am. And I think people sense that in me. And perhaps that is why  I have never been bullied by anyone because of who I am. Being overly sensitive can make one vulnerable.

If a person can use "they/them" pronouns, and people can be punished or sanctioned for not using those pronouns, I think it's more than fair for others to request that they NOT be called queer by the same people requesting new age pronouns. And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. I haven't been bullied for my orientation since middle school.

Fact is the word has a disgusting history, sounds icky and doesn't define me at all. Most of the people who actually call themselves queer are gender obsessed, ivory tower TQQA+ folks. So I don't want it used to describe me. I don't think this is a sensitive request.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2023, 03:58:22 PM »

I wish people would chill about all of this. I have never in my life allowed what others think to be who I am. And I think people sense that in me. And perhaps that is why  I have never been bullied by anyone because of who I am. Being overly sensitive can make one vulnerable.

If a person can use "they/them" pronouns, and people can be punished or sanctioned for not using those pronouns, I think it's more than fair for others to request that they NOT be called queer by the same people requesting new age pronouns. And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. I haven't been bullied for my orientation since middle school.

Fact is the word has a disgusting history, sounds icky and doesn't define me at all. Most of the people who actually call themselves queer are gender obsessed, ivory tower TQQA+ folks. So I don't want it used to describe me. I don't think this is a sensitive request.

I promise not to call you queer. I hope you don't mind too much if I give myself permission to call myself queer. I sometimes say, hey, I'm queer, and I am here, or still here, and it typically brings smiles to people's faces.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2023, 04:48:00 AM »

It's worth noting that James Baldwin's ideas are manifestly not a part of "queer theory", although they prefigure some "queer theory" concepts. Giovanni's Room, which by the way is an excellent novel that I would recommend to almost anyone, was written during the Eisenhower administration and is fundamentally a midcentury liberal and even Atlanticist text. "Queer theory" emerged after Baldwin's death and is thus only relevant to him retrospectively (if at all, to be perfectly frank).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies