2023 MLB Season Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:51:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 MLB Season Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2023 MLB Season Thread  (Read 6517 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 29, 2023, 08:12:55 AM »

As a Cards fan, I'm excited for the season.  We got this rookie, Jordan Walker.  Young, big and strong with a great attitude.  Somehow one of the best catchers of all time retired and we still somehow got better at the position (at least on the bat side of the equation).  We have way too many quality outfielders.  The rotation is shaky, hopefully we can pick up an arm before the trade deadline.  The bullpen looks better than it has the past few years, but that's not saying much.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »

MiLB and MLBPA have reached a tentative 5-year deal that would give minor league players large pay raises and more rights.

Pay increases per year:
AAA: $17,500 to $35,800
AA: $13,800 to $30,250
High-A: $11,000 to $27,300
Single-A: $11,000 to $26,200
Complex league: $4,800 to $19,800

Jeff Passan at ESPN:
Minor league baseball players and Major League Baseball struck a tentative deal Wednesday on the first collective bargaining agreement between the sides that will more than double player pay and represents the largest-ever gains in the rights of minor leaguers, sources familiar with the agreement told ESPN.

The deal, which will last for five years, comes after a rapid and successful effort last year by minor leaguers to unionize under the umbrella of the Major League Baseball Players Association and follows previous improvements in housing and pay. MLB formally recognized the union upon its formation, paving the way for a negotiation that finalized the deal on the eve of major league Opening Day.

After years of disillusionment among future major leaguers about paltry salaries forcing them to work offseason jobs, and coincidentally on the day a judge approved a $185 million settlement the league will pay players who accused it of violating minimum-wage laws, the parties agreed on a deal that went out to a vote among the union's rank-and-file and will need to be approved by owners as well before it is formalized. The agreement could be announced officially as early as Friday, the first day of games in the minor leagues.
do they get any other benefits, like a food stipend or housing (either via money or an apartment complex the players can live in for free)?  <hey, isn't this something you can Google yourself dead0?> ok fine, and the answer is yes, they must provide housing to the players (it's an MiLB rule), but they often get around it by having volunteer families in the local community house them.  A friend of mine did that for Omaha Lancer (very minor league semi-pro ice hockey team) players.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »

As a Cards fan, I'm excited for the season.  We got this rookie, Jordan Walker.  Young, big and strong with a great attitude.
what an illustrious list!  Some all time greats there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 06:28:44 PM »

I don't know for certain, but it seems like that's the catcher's ball to play as he has his momentum going in the correct direction.  That would be a very hard play for the pitcher to make.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 10:43:31 AM »

In tonight's Braves win over the Marlins, Spencer Strider threw 81 strikes and 20 balls in 8 innings, a strike/ball ratio of 4.05:1.  This is the highest ratio I recall seeing offhand, and I was wondering what the record for a starting pitcher is, but I can't seem to find it online.  Anyone know?
that is hard thing to Google, I'll try again later
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »

that sucks

One of the voices of my childhood.  I used to enjoy the times him and Jack Buck would get drunk on air during blowouts.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 12:26:36 PM »

Cardinals are slowly but surely making a move out of the NL Central basement.
Libatore (sp?) looked great.  I think Nolan Gorman is my favorite player now.  That kid can beat the snot out of the ball, which isn't something you get out your second baseman very often.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 11:37:57 PM »

Cards out of the basement.  Thank Og the rest of the NL Central sucks ass, we'll be in first by mid June.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 10:33:46 PM »

the last place team in the AL East (Tor 26-23) has a better record than the best team in the AL Central (Min 25-24).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 10:56:21 PM »

ouch
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 09:20:25 AM »

Cardinals won 7-6 in the 2nd game of the London series, spitting it 1-1.

I thought spitballs were outlawed. Wink
if some Youtube videos are to be believed, pitchers "modifying" the ball is the worst kept secret in baseball
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies