2023 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:04:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: 2023 MLB Season Thread  (Read 6351 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 09:55:29 PM »

Dodgers are gonna be mediocre they lost Trea Turner I am so glad I don't live in LA no more, Lakers are Done, Lebron is about to retire and Rams got rid of Ramsey and Kupp and Stafford signed multiplayer contracts and Aaron Donald is gonna retire anyways

Von Miller should of stayed with Rams he got injured again in Buffalo
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2023, 09:58:16 PM »

WBC Final is American loss, 3-2.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2023, 10:11:37 PM »

Kind of hard to win when you are facing the best hitter and the best pitcher in the world. Even harder to win when he's the same guy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 10:46:25 PM »

Kind of hard to win when you are facing the best hitter and the best pitcher in the world. Even harder to win when he's the same guy.
Is Ohtani really that good?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2023, 10:47:58 PM »

Where have you been for the past five years?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 10:50:19 PM »

I'm not doubting that Ohtani is good. I was just wondering if such a lofty praise, going that far, should be unambigiously given to him.
In any case, Japanese people online I've talked to have agreed he's quite talented and I saw no reason to disagree.
I was under the impression the US team would have enough talented players to make up the difference. I guess it wasn't enough. The results speak for themselves.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2023, 12:45:03 AM »

I'm not doubting that Ohtani is good. I was just wondering if such a lofty praise, going that far, should be unambigiously given to him.
In any case, Japanese people online I've talked to have agreed he's quite talented and I saw no reason to disagree.
I was under the impression the US team would have enough talented players to make up the difference. I guess it wasn't enough. The results speak for themselves.

Decades from now, he will likely be considered the greatest baseball player of all time. Better than Babe Ruth. He's that good.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2023, 12:45:44 AM »

The World Baseball Classic was awesome. Loved every game I watched.

And you know what the best part was? (I mean, not really, but still good.) They allowed the shift. Come on ML"B".
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:41 AM »

Decades from now, he will likely be considered the greatest baseball player of all time. Better than Babe Ruth. He's that good.

Describing him both as the outright best hitter as well as the outright best pitcher in the world is still blatantly false. He's come close to looking like the former at specific times (his MVP season, obviously, is the most notable here) but the latter doesn't really hold up.

Calling him the best overall player is ofc fair game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2023, 12:48:48 AM »

And the best part is that he's a free agent after this season.

Looking forward to Steve Cohen signing Ohtani for something like twelve years, one billion dollars.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2023, 07:32:33 AM »

The last two nights have been the most incredible nights of baseball I've ever seen. That Ohtani vs. Trout matchup was the stuff that dreams are made of.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 08:12:55 AM »

As a Cards fan, I'm excited for the season.  We got this rookie, Jordan Walker.  Young, big and strong with a great attitude.  Somehow one of the best catchers of all time retired and we still somehow got better at the position (at least on the bat side of the equation).  We have way too many quality outfielders.  The rotation is shaky, hopefully we can pick up an arm before the trade deadline.  The bullpen looks better than it has the past few years, but that's not saying much.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 01:54:21 PM »

As a Cards fan, I'm excited for the season.  We got this rookie, Jordan Walker.  Young, big and strong with a great attitude.  Somehow one of the best catchers of all time retired and we still somehow got better at the position (at least on the bat side of the equation).  We have way too many quality outfielders.  The rotation is shaky, hopefully we can pick up an arm before the trade deadline.  The bullpen looks better than it has the past few years, but that's not saying much.

Unless for some reason, the Angels decide to trade Ohtani, AND he wants to go to St. Louis (i.e, sign an extension),there won't be a good starter available at the deadline.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 06:21:11 PM »

Without Trea Turner Dodgers are gonna be mediocre, they lost back2back games to Angels and they need an offensive catcher outside of Will Smith, Barnes is mediocre I am so glad I don't live in LA and Mookie Betts the 300M dollar man is just as overrated as Anthony Davis

They aren't scrubs but Lebron said I needed Anthony Davis and Westbrook and now he needs surgery were supposed to win more than 1 title multiple titles like the Dubs
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2023, 01:28:41 AM »

MiLB and MLBPA have reached a tentative 5-year deal that would give minor league players large pay raises and more rights.

Pay increases per year:
AAA: $17,500 to $35,800
AA: $13,800 to $30,250
High-A: $11,000 to $27,300
Single-A: $11,000 to $26,200
Complex league: $4,800 to $19,800

Jeff Passan at ESPN:
Minor league baseball players and Major League Baseball struck a tentative deal Wednesday on the first collective bargaining agreement between the sides that will more than double player pay and represents the largest-ever gains in the rights of minor leaguers, sources familiar with the agreement told ESPN.

The deal, which will last for five years, comes after a rapid and successful effort last year by minor leaguers to unionize under the umbrella of the Major League Baseball Players Association and follows previous improvements in housing and pay. MLB formally recognized the union upon its formation, paving the way for a negotiation that finalized the deal on the eve of major league Opening Day.

After years of disillusionment among future major leaguers about paltry salaries forcing them to work offseason jobs, and coincidentally on the day a judge approved a $185 million settlement the league will pay players who accused it of violating minimum-wage laws, the parties agreed on a deal that went out to a vote among the union's rank-and-file and will need to be approved by owners as well before it is formalized. The agreement could be announced officially as early as Friday, the first day of games in the minor leagues.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »

Happy opening day to all. A sure sign of summer on the way. Go Cubs
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2023, 04:17:16 PM »

Waino sung The Star-Spangled Banner (US National Anthem) today for the Cardinals home opener.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2023, 05:35:39 AM »

Dodgers beat the lowly DBacks that doesn't prove they miss Trea Turner
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2023, 07:27:14 AM »

Waino sung The Star-Spangled Banner (US National Anthem) today for the Cardinals home opener.

Wow, that was incredible. What can't this guy do?!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »

MiLB and MLBPA have reached a tentative 5-year deal that would give minor league players large pay raises and more rights.

Pay increases per year:
AAA: $17,500 to $35,800
AA: $13,800 to $30,250
High-A: $11,000 to $27,300
Single-A: $11,000 to $26,200
Complex league: $4,800 to $19,800

Jeff Passan at ESPN:
Minor league baseball players and Major League Baseball struck a tentative deal Wednesday on the first collective bargaining agreement between the sides that will more than double player pay and represents the largest-ever gains in the rights of minor leaguers, sources familiar with the agreement told ESPN.

The deal, which will last for five years, comes after a rapid and successful effort last year by minor leaguers to unionize under the umbrella of the Major League Baseball Players Association and follows previous improvements in housing and pay. MLB formally recognized the union upon its formation, paving the way for a negotiation that finalized the deal on the eve of major league Opening Day.

After years of disillusionment among future major leaguers about paltry salaries forcing them to work offseason jobs, and coincidentally on the day a judge approved a $185 million settlement the league will pay players who accused it of violating minimum-wage laws, the parties agreed on a deal that went out to a vote among the union's rank-and-file and will need to be approved by owners as well before it is formalized. The agreement could be announced officially as early as Friday, the first day of games in the minor leagues.
do they get any other benefits, like a food stipend or housing (either via money or an apartment complex the players can live in for free)?  <hey, isn't this something you can Google yourself dead0?> ok fine, and the answer is yes, they must provide housing to the players (it's an MiLB rule), but they often get around it by having volunteer families in the local community house them.  A friend of mine did that for Omaha Lancer (very minor league semi-pro ice hockey team) players.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2023, 09:58:53 AM »

Between DeGrom leaving, signing Verlander and Senga, the Correa saga, and Edwin’s freak injury this has been an emotional rollercoaster of an offseason for the Mets and now it’s time to tease us with a 3-1 start over a Miami that on paper was meant to be a much improved team. Here’s to being hurt again 🥲
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2023, 10:46:15 AM »

The Red Sox are 2-1 after scoring 9 runs in each of their first 3 games. If they keep that up, they will finish 108-54. Shouldn't be too hard.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2023, 11:43:15 AM »

The Red Sox are 2-1 after scoring 9 runs in each of their first 3 games. If they keep that up, they will finish 108-54. Shouldn't be too hard.

Extrapolating from small sample sizes for the win. Wink
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2023, 03:48:31 PM »

Extrapolating from small sample sizes for the win. Wink

That's how all predictions work!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2023, 03:35:28 AM »

It's 159 games left too, let's wait to see who does good with more than 20 games in
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies