Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:04:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Desantis: Queer Theory is not apart of black history  (Read 1542 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 06:27:41 PM »

With how hyper focused DeSantis is on this, makes me think he is trans or queer. If he keeps this up he’s not going to win nationally when this is all he seems to talk about.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »

With how hyper focused DeSantis is on this, makes me think he is trans or queer. If he keeps this up he’s not going to win nationally when this is all he seems to talk about.
The average American is not “woke” on trans issues. Many are rightfully cautious on the issue, even my very liberal mother has said she has reservations. Keep in mind she supported gay marrige back in the 2000s and is a staunch Dem.

That being said DeSantis would have to tread the line between nuanced moderacy and insane lunacy on the issue or otherwise he will get 2022 syndrome.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »

DeSantis was not here to talk about this lol. The media asked him the question about the class and he responded. What do you guys want him to do , yell "Fake News instead".

I posted a link of what DeSantis was actually talking about, but nobody here seems to be interested in looking at that link and instead just post "All DeSantis cares about is culture wars" when it isnt true. Thats just what the media asks him about and what gets reported on USGD here.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2023, 06:37:05 PM »

I posted a link of what DeSantis was actually talking about, but nobody here seems to be interested in looking at that link and instead just post "All DeSantis cares about is culture wars" when it isnt true. Thats just what the media asks him about and what gets reported on USGD here.

So when he does culture war stuff, and then the media asks him about what he did, it's the media's fault he's accused of culture wars because they did their job and asked him about it?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:26 PM »

So when he does culture war stuff, and then the media asks him about what he did, it's the media's fault he's accused of culture wars because they did their job and asked him about it?

No but the narrative here that all he talks about is culture wars isnt true either. Its just what gets most of the clicks on here
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 06:42:09 PM »

The average American is not “woke” on trans issues. Many are rightfully cautious on the issue, even my very liberal mother has said she has reservations. Keep in mind she supported gay marrige back in the 2000s and is a staunch Dem.

That being said DeSantis would have to tread the line between nuanced moderacy and insane lunacy on the issue or otherwise he will get 2022 syndrome.

Hyper focusing on this vs the cost of goods and the price of healthcare is a losing bet once you get out of the primary where they think there are actual liter boxes in schools because Chinese TikTok told them about it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 06:43:45 PM »

Hyper focusing on this vs the cost of goods and the price of healthcare is a losing bet once you get out of the primary where they think there are actual liter boxes in schools because Chinese TikTok told them about it.

DeSantis literally proposed multiple policies that would go after certain Big Pharma practices yet that thread only got 5 posts.

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 06:45:01 PM »

No but the narrative here that all he talks about is culture wars isnt true either. Its just what gets most of the clicks on here

Then why pick up the issue? Why block the inclusion of the course for any other reason than his own presidential ambitions? This was clearly a play to the Republican base by doubling down on the same anti-black politics Republicans run all the time. He made and wanted this to be an issue and the media capitalized on it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 06:48:22 PM »

DeSantis literally proposed multiple policies that would go after certain Big Pharma practices yet that thread only got 5 posts.

He proposed it, will never see his desk. Republicans can never let a law pass that goes after their diner class.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »

Then why pick up the issue? Why block the inclusion of the course for any other reason than his own presidential ambitions? This was clearly a play to the Republican base by doubling down on the same anti-black politics Republicans run all the time. He made and wanted this to be an issue and the media capitalized on it.

He was not the one who personally blocked the course, some Florida board did by citing Florida law. He just knew he would be asked about it by the media so he did his homework and found out why and as we discussed in the other thread , there were things that were problematic with this course.

Anyway this is what he was actually there to talk about:

He's not wrong per se but this is the sort of argument for insufferable people on Twitter. It's not something a Governor needs to be focusing on.

He was asked a question though by the media, so what is he supposed to do then. Is it better to yell fake news like Trump or actually answer the question. Like btw DeSantis was there to do this:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2023/01/23/gov-desantis-to-speak-at-jacksonville-charter-school/

In addition to proposing raising teacher pay, the governor said he wants to create a special category in the education budget that would go toward funding for teacher raises specifically, so money can’t be used for anything else. DeSantis wants $200 million more for teacher salaries.

“So you could increase education funding, doesn’t mean (school boards are) going to raise teacher pay, they may use it for other things,” DeSantis said. “And so when we said as as part of our education funding in the state of Florida, we’re going to create a special category of that funding that has to go to raise teacher salaries. So we created this provision in our budget in the Florida Education Finance program.”

He also proposed a teachers’ bill of rights to empower teachers to discipline students in class, and allows teachers to file complaints if the district allegedly tells a teacher to violate Florida law and then disciplines them for it.

Other bills he supports have already been filed by the state legislature, including a bill to create a constitutional amendment to make school board races partisan, a bill to create school board term limits of eight years, and a bill to stop teachers unions from being able to get union dues in a direct deposit from teachers’ paychecks.

DeSantis also wants unions not to be able to conduct union business at work, school union executives to not be paid more than the highest-paid union member, and for unions to have 60% representation in a school district.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2023, 06:49:17 PM »

He proposed it, will never see his desk. Republicans can never let a law pass that goes after their diner class.

He has also requested the FDA let Florida import prescription drugs from Canada to help lower costs.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2023, 06:50:14 PM »

He has also requested the FDA let Florida import prescription drugs from Canada to help lower costs.
…do….do you not hear yourself and question something about our own healthcare system?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »

…do….do you not hear yourself and question something about our own healthcare system?

I support a Netherlands style Healthcare system

Also importing prescription drugs from Canada would help increase competition and thus lower costs.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 07:01:11 PM »

Also importing prescription drugs from Canada would help increase competition and thus lower costs.
That’s pleasantly shocking given you oppose ACA tbh (please correct me if I am wrong).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 07:06:28 PM »

That’s pleasantly shocking given you oppose ACA tbh (please correct me if I am wrong).

You are wrong about that as I do support the ACA and opposed GOP efforts to repeal it in 2017.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 08:49:40 PM »

It actually is, insofar as many POC are also Queer and their history and accomplishments are part of the historical canon and should be celebrated just like anyone else. So what Desantis is actually saying here is that we should erase Queer people from history which was an opinion I had hoped we were leaving behind to the Lavender scare and worst of the moral panics of the 50's and before... but apparently not.

Having black queers does not mean queer theory is a part of black history lmao.
Again James Baldwin existed whether you like it or not

Wow, a black dude that discussed queer theory. Totally means queer theory is a part of black history.

Is conservative theory a part of black history since there were black people who "identified" as conservative? How far should we go with this? Should we learn about Bumpy Johnson and Frank Lucas?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 08:58:06 PM »

It actually is, insofar as many POC are also Queer and their history and accomplishments are part of the historical canon and should be celebrated just like anyone else. So what Desantis is actually saying here is that we should erase Queer people from history which was an opinion I had hoped we were leaving behind to the Lavender scare and worst of the moral panics of the 50's and before... but apparently not.

Wow, a black dude that discussed queer theory. Totally means queer theory is a part of black history.

Is conservative theory a part of black history since there were black people who "identified" as conservative? How far should we go with this? Should we learn about Bumpy Johnson and Frank Lucas?
Reducing a man who wrote what’s considered two of the best works of literature in this country’s history as “a black dude that discussed queer theory” and on some moral level as two drug kingpins is something
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2023, 09:02:13 PM »

We should start a betting market on how long before OSR finally abandons DeSantis and stops living in denial about the fact that he's just Diet Trump.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 09:04:19 PM »

He’s objectively wrong. example?
BAYARD RUSTIN
Literally one of MLK’s closest advisors till homophobes but him out
BARBARA JOHNSON
one of the first black congressmen elected after reconstruction who lived closeted her entire life

Anyways I could go on but he’s wrong and what’s new
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 09:05:14 PM »

We should start a betting market on how long before OSR finally abandons DeSantis and stops living in denial about the fact that he's just Diet Trump.

Jeb Bush is a huge fan of what DeSantis has done on the issue of education and has praised DeSantis a lot . He basically also said that he hopes DeSantis runs for President
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 09:20:50 PM »

It's pretty insane to make it your single primary focus as governor of a state.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2023, 09:21:20 PM »

It's pretty insane to make it your single primary focus as governor of a state.

This isnt close to being accurate though
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:24 PM »

I mean OSR has generally been pretty consistent that he thinks Trump was generally good in terms of policy outside of election denial
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2023, 09:56:36 PM »

Reducing a man who wrote what’s considered two of the best works of literature in this country’s history as “a black dude that discussed queer theory” and on some moral level as two drug kingpins is something

I didn't bring up morality. You did. You didn't answer the question.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 10:11:32 PM »

I didn't bring up morality. You did. You didn't answer the question.
Oh please like anyone here doesn’t now that form of questioning isn’t meant to imply they are some level to each other and to answer your unserious question no teaching about famous black gay people and their contribution to black history doesn’t mean you have to teach them about black gangsters 🙄
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies