2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: 2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread  (Read 9255 times)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2023, 09:12:23 PM »

I think Oh could make it competitive if Gym is the nominee.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2023, 09:27:57 PM »

Even being the best possible GOPer in Philly, Oh likely wouldn't surpass ~37% against Gym. Peruto (an admittedly bad candidate) maxed out the margins with blue-collar White voters and performed okay with Latinos against Larry freaking Krasner and still ended with 31%. I can't see Oh winning enough Black voters and wealthy liberal White voters over to get him to a win, let alone 40%.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 12:14:14 PM »

Could be the boost she needs-

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 04:25:29 PM »

Even being the best possible GOPer in Philly, Oh likely wouldn't surpass ~37% against Gym. Peruto (an admittedly bad candidate) maxed out the margins with blue-collar White voters and performed okay with Latinos against Larry freaking Krasner and still ended with 31%. I can't see Oh winning enough Black voters and wealthy liberal White voters over to get him to a win, let alone 40%.

This. An Asian Republican is not winning in a predominately Black city.................
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Professional courtesy requires me to endorse Rhynhart but who tf knows who wins this Royal Rumble of a primary
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »

Professional courtesy requires me to endorse Rhynhart but who tf knows who wins this Royal Rumble of a primary

Yeah, we're about to hit April and it's still so stagnant. Barely any polls, either, but I imagine atm it would be something like

Brown - 18%
Gym - 17%
Parker - 14%
Rhynhart - 12%
Domb - 10%

I assume Green and Quinonas are stuck in the single digits.
philly09

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 04:40:44 PM »

In terms of airtime, Domb and Brown have gotten the lion's share.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2023, 04:18:10 PM »

Philadelphia Inquirer endorses Rebecca Rhynhart
https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/editorials/rebecca-rhynhart-mayor-100-endorsement-democratic-primary-20230402.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2023, 08:35:42 AM »

I'm thinking she may have a good shot in the crowded field now. Not to mention, Brown has a new controversy where he was caught making a reference to "lynching" his opponents

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/election/jeff-brown-video-lynch-opponents-philly-mayors-race-20230331.html
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2023, 12:39:09 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2023, 12:48:56 PM by VPH »

Rhynhart's stock is up big and I think that comes at the expense of both Allan Domb and Helen Gym, the two main candidates whose bases are largely White college voters (the former focusing on moderates and the latter progressives). Rhynhart's reformist background and willingness to take on PPD help her with the left, and her fiscal moderation/business background help her with the more moderate good-government voters.

Yet I can't help but think they're all trading White college voters while Cherelle Parker is growing her presence among the establishment (see her labor support) and working-class Black voters. Together, this would be a large enough group for Parker to win, especially if Jeff Brown falters. But Derek Green might dig into her Northwest Coalition base because he's also from the same neighborhood and Jeff Brown's been all over the airwaves and also enjoys strong union backing.

And then there's the big question mark around Northeast Philadelphia--there are a lot of blue-collar White and Latino voters there who could make a difference. Will they go for Allan Domb, one of the more moderate candidates? Or Jeff Brown? Will Latinos break for MQS, who is running Spanish language ads? Or heck, will FOP members come out in support of the very vocally anti-Krasner Amen Brown?

It still feels like an open race and it's a shame the only polling we have is from Jeff Brown's campaign (pre-gaffe). At the end of the day, ward endorsements are going to matter. What Philly Democrats see on their sample ballots could well translate into a victory.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »

Turns out Cherelle Parker has been racking up ward endorsements in the blue-collar Northeast!

https://billypenn.com/2023/04/04/cherelle-parker-mayor-endorsements-democratic-party-officials/?utm_campaign=sproutsocial&utm_content=1680620469&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »

Whoever is the moderate/Conservative candidate should learn from Vallas/Caruso. It's not enough to win like that. You have to be like Eric Adams. He has black progressive support and moderate support at the same time.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »

Whoever is the moderate/Conservative candidate should learn from Vallas/Caruso. It's not enough to win like that. You have to be like Eric Adams. He has black progressive support and moderate support at the same time.

Interesting because you'd think with so many candidates, there would be one conserva-dem in the mix, but it doesn't seem that way. Parker may be the closest thing, in that she's not as die hard progressive as someone like Gym, but she's still extremely liberal.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2023, 10:06:22 AM »

Interesting because you'd think with so many candidates, there would be one conserva-dem in the mix, but it doesn't seem that way. Parker may be the closest thing, in that she's not as die hard progressive as someone like Gym, but she's still extremely liberal.
I'm surprised that Parker is doing well in a white ethnic areas, you'd never see it in Staten Island.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2023, 10:21:28 AM »

I'm surprised that Parker is doing well in a white ethnic areas, you'd never see it in Staten Island.

I kid you not - my Trump-loving Republican grandmother went out of her way to say that she likes Parker (I guess she saw some ads on TV?) and thinks she'd be a good pick. So maybe the strategy of Parker kind of going for that type of voter vs. the white liberals is working for her.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2023, 02:49:12 PM »

Maria Quiñones Sanchez has suspended her campaign.

Former city councilmember Maria Quiñones Sánchez announced she will be suspending her campaign for mayor.

Maria Quiñones Sánchez was running for the Democratic nomination in the Philadelphia mayoral race. This announcement comes ahead of the May 16 primaries.

"I am sorry to be suspending my campaign. I ran for mayor because I've lived every challenge this city faces, and with my policy and legislative experience, I felt I could tackle our city's challenges head-on," said Maria Quiñones Sánchez in a statement sent out on Easter Sunday.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2023, 08:00:59 AM »

Former city councilmember Maria Quiñones Sánchez announced she will be suspending her campaign for mayor.

Maria Quiñones Sánchez was running for the Democratic nomination in the Philadelphia mayoral race. This announcement comes ahead of the May 16 primaries.

"I am sorry to be suspending my campaign. I ran for mayor because I've lived every challenge this city faces, and with my policy and legislative experience, I felt I could tackle our city's challenges head-on," said Maria Quiñones Sánchez in a statement sent out on Easter Sunday.

Unfortunate, especially because she was the only Latina in the race.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »

Shes not the only one, there’s Sandra Cano (Colombian) and Sabina Matos (Dominican). Ana Quezada (Dominican too) has filed paperwork to run

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »

Shes not the only one, there’s Sandra Cano (Colombian) and Sabina Matos (Dominican). Ana Quezada (Dominican too) has filed paperwork to run

Might have your threads mixed up here Tongue
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »

Might have your threads mixed up here Tongue

oops thought I was in Rhode Island
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2023, 07:56:27 AM »

Does someone want to do a poll of who is the best candidate?

I don't know much about the GOP candidate, but I watched last night's debate. Did anyone else?

I have no idea who the best candidate is and who would do the best job of being mayor.

Possibly one of three??

Either Derek Green, Cherelle Parker or Rebecca Rhynhart?
Rhynhart does have a lot of experience being the City Controller for four years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Philadelphia_mayoral_election
Duke of York

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »

I still think Jeff Brown or Allen Domb is likely going to win the primary.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2023, 08:07:34 AM »

I don't think Brown has a chance anymore. He has the money, but feels like he's been collapsing with his scandals and then not only the 76ers news but then his comments about Chester at the debate. It's one bad news cycle after another for him.

Domb doesn't really seem to be getting any traction. If I was to guess, I'd think we're now in a 3-way race between Parker, Gym, and Rhynhart.
Duke of York

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »

I don't think Brown has a chance anymore. He has the money, but feels like he's been collapsing with his scandals and then not only the 76ers news but then his comments about Chester at the debate. It's one bad news cycle after another for him.

Domb doesn't really seem to be getting any traction. If I was to guess, I'd think we're now in a 3-way race between Parker, Gym, and Rhynhart.

If any of those three won the primary I'd be happy.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2023, 08:45:59 AM »

If any of those three won the primary I'd be happy.

Agreed, those would be my top 3 at this point. Don't really care for anyone else who's running. Rhynhart would probably be my top pick, I hate that she gets dinged for being not as "personable" when she's probably the most qualified, feels like Hillary all over again lol. I really like Parker as well - but her comments about safe injection sites and stop and frisk did give me pause at the debate. I WANT to like Gym a lot, especially with her public teaching background, but I feel like I'll be on her side and then things like the 76ers moment at the debate will give me slight pause. Just like the DeSantis Union League moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies