2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: 2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread  (Read 9256 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2023, 09:17:18 AM »

Rs are in for a ryde awakening in 23 and 24
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2023, 09:26:56 AM »

I assume Parker is the heavy favorite? Does Oh have any chance? I've heard rumors he might.

No. Not a chance.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2023, 09:59:02 AM »

Reading some post-mortems written by some Philly local journalists and it has been quite interesting to say the least.

I think there are a couple major takeaways from this race: Philly voters are apathetic and the candidates are to blame. I think this race should be a good reminder that politics will always be local first and national last. The candidate who tried the hardest to nationalize the race (Gym) ended up crashing and burning the hardest.

Parker won because people know her, and she was able to court black voters very well, which is paramount in Philadelphia.

She also won because turnout was abysmal. People were just flat out not enthusiastic with the candidates they had and I think the dogfight between the candidates who ultimately did not win contributed to voter apathy. People are really tired of negative ads and finger pointing. They want someone who can govern, who can deliver, and will not get bogged down promising things they cannot realistically deliver.

This should be a major takeaway for Democrats. As someone who considers themselves progressive, but a pragmatic progressive, I was hoping Gym would win but I held major skepticism that, even if she did win, she wouldn't be able to do much as Mayor.

Ultimately, the establishment won here. Maybe that's a bad thing, but progressives ought to learn to work with the establishment at the local level and pull the party left.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2023, 10:00:53 AM »

Well and it's all about coalitions. Parker also won because she got a huge share of the black vote, while Domb got the whiter northeast moderate/conservative vote, and Rhynhart and Gym basically split the white/progressive/young vote.

Parker did horrendously with white voters it looks like, but black voters were unanimously with her, which helped her break out.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2023, 10:04:11 AM »

Well and it's all about coalitions. Parker also won because she got a huge share of the black vote, while Domb got the whiter northeast moderate/conservative vote, and Rhynhart and Gym basically split the white/progressive/young vote.

Parker did horrendously with white voters it looks like, but black voters were unanimously with her, which helped her break out.

I thought it was pretty funny that a majority of wealthy voters split between Gym and Rhynhart.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2023, 10:22:27 AM »

I assume Parker is the heavy favorite? Does Oh have any chance? I've heard rumors he might.

If everything but far north and far south Phili falls into the ocean he might have a chance
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2023, 11:50:21 AM »

I expect Oh will both outperform the baseline (closest race since 2003) and lose heavily.
Duke of York

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »

I expect Oh will both outperform the baseline (closest race since 2003) and lose heavily.

what percentage of the vote do you think he will get?
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2023, 02:08:43 PM »

All I’m gonna say is if you asked 1000 random Philadelphians whether they are more afraid of being a victim of police brutality or violent crime/carjacking you people are NOT going to like the answers.

You see I tried to warn you mamooks but nobody wanted to listen
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2023, 02:26:05 PM »

I've heard good things about Oh, but I don't know much about him.

What kinds of differences would the election of Parker compared to the election of Oh be?

I don't expect Oh to win, but since I know so little about this match, I can't say for sure until I know more about the race.
The last GOP of Philly left office the year before I was born (1954)

There was one race that was extremely close, however, and if Oh could make it a close race he could win. That may sound far fetched, of course, and it probably is, but since I don't know much yet, IDK. I will wait to see what the polls can tell us.'

Even if Oh has close to a zero chance of winning it will be interesting to watch this race.

Philly has never had a woman mayor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2023, 05:06:56 PM »

Parker will be the next mayor.

Oh has no chance. He's not a Giuliani/Riordan/Schundler type who can appeal to Democrats.

Congratulations Mayor Parker. Now get to work.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »

I thought it was pretty funny that a majority of wealthy voters split between Gym and Rhynhart.
Not surprising
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2023, 08:35:21 AM »

Not surprising

Yeah, I feel like this was basically expected. Parker was always going to appeal to minorities/poorer communities, Domb was always going to do well in the northeast with the more moderate/conservative voters, and Gym and Rhynhart were always going to split the white vote, with Gym getting the more progressive voters and Rhynhart getting the more mainstream dems.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2023, 10:23:09 AM »

Who would’ve won the Democratic primary if runoffs were required in Philadelphia elections?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2023, 10:34:46 AM »

Who would’ve won the Democratic primary if runoffs were required in Philadelphia elections?

Parker still
Duke of York

« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »

Parker still

What makes you think that?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »

Parker still

I think Parker would've had a good chance but Rhynhart probably would've been a dark horse, given that I think she was a lot of people's 2nd choices (and given how great her fav score was in the Emerson poll)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2023, 10:47:58 AM »

Oh has no chance. He's not a Giuliani/Riordan/Schundler type who can appeal to Democrats.

Huh? Oh is a paradigmatic centrist GOPer who could appeal to Democrats. He did enough of it to survive the WFP effort last election, and was able to garner some endorsements from Dem-leaning unions in 2019. He has been moderate on Council too, introducing a police training bill and doing a lot to support the arts as well as veterans. But that doesn’t mean Oh has a snowball’s chance in hell of even getting 40% versus Parker, credible as he may be. My guess? He wins like 23%, which is respectable for a Republican in this city these days.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2023, 11:00:12 AM »

Huh? Oh is a paradigmatic centrist GOPer who could appeal to Democrats. He did enough of it to survive the WFP effort last election, and was able to garner some endorsements from Dem-leaning unions in 2019. He has been moderate on Council too, introducing a police training bill and doing a lot to support the arts as well as veterans. But that doesn’t mean Oh has a snowball’s chance in hell of even getting 40% versus Parker, credible as he may be. My guess? He wins like 23%, which is respectable for a Republican in this city these days.
True. If Oh faced off against Krasner, he would of had a chance.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2023, 01:43:43 PM »

Philly councilman rude to voter

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ML_NlRoUOzY?feature=share

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2023, 07:17:42 PM »

Pretty sure that is not actually a city councilman
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2023, 06:55:13 PM »

Pretty sure that is not actually a city councilman

it's stringer bell, councilman from the 3rd ward
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2023, 01:27:50 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2023, 01:33:47 PM by °Sturdy Unicorn »

This election will be interesting to watch.
Of course, I don't expect Oh to win.
There was a debate on KYW news radio a local Philadelphia station, this morning, but I didn't find out about it until afterwards.
Did anyone listen to it, or does anyone out there follow this race?

The last GOP mayor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Samuel

His term ended before I was even born.

Edit: Philadelphia will be electing her 100th mayor this year.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2023, 01:33:38 PM »

I was driving through North Wales (about 25 miles north of Philadelphia) the other day and saw a David Oh for Mayor sign. I haven't even seen one in Philadelphia proper.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »

I was driving through North Wales (about 25 miles north of Philadelphia) the other day and saw a David Oh for Mayor sign. I haven't even seen one in Philadelphia proper.
They're everywhere in Chinatown.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies