To what extent should society help people who don't want to help themselves? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  To what extent should society help people who don't want to help themselves? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: To what extent should society help people who don't want to help themselves?  (Read 1040 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 21, 2023, 03:36:13 AM »

I doubt there are many people who don't want to actually help themselves. Though there are many who are ignorant/uneducated through no fault of their own (though some due to their own choices), there are some with dehabilitating life circumstances.

I think the 1996 Welfare Reform bill had good work rules for this to incentivize those people to work and I think it should be reimplemented.

At an individual level though, I think charitable organizations should provide help to anyone who needs it
Work for Welfare has got to be one of the greatest spins of the 20th century. The purpose of welfare was originally so the mother of the household didn't need to work, and could stay home and take care of the kids. The antiquated idea of those strict gender roles should rightfully be disregarded, as well as growing awareness and acceptance (and outright growth) of non-traditional households. But overall, wasn't that a good thing? To help at least one adult in a household with children not work, if they so choose, incentiving them to take care of the children and the household? Nevermind the realities of underemployment and a terribly small minimum wage, especially in the tipped professions, as well as freelance and per-diem or part-time hourly wage jobs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies