Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion
Freedom Quote

Horrible Quote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents"  (Read 1295 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »

Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us with horror as imperialists and slaveholder equivalents. As consumers, we are perpetuating a global economic system that systematically oppressed people of color in faraway lands for our own convenience, and no one thinks twice about it. Every street corner has a person of color ignored and abandoned by their country and countrymen. Labor resembles an apartheid nation. Women of color are forced to care for white children so white women can have a leisurely professional career. Black servants are forced to bend to the whims of white money or risk their livelihood. We are all guilty and have no excuse for not questioning the status quo."

Is this a fair assessment of what silence allows to persist?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 12:23:45 PM »

FF quote
Unpoisoned Chalice
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »

Many people are saying this. Just the other day I was accosted by members of a local Maoist-Third Worldist organization while attempting to place an order at Five Guys. They were dressed in army fatigues and demanded that I "read Settlers by J. Sakai." After giving a lengthy denunciation of my participation in the international neoliberal imperialist system, I thought they might finally leave me alone. But then began collectively shouting "Scratch a liberal, a fascist bleeds!" while stabbing me. They stole my wallet and I only managed to escape when they began accusing one another of being "Bukharinite right deviationists." 
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 01:07:58 PM »

It forgot to mention the mass murder of animals.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 01:35:54 PM »

I mean, maybe, but that just goes to show why judging entire historical groups of people is dumb.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 01:39:24 PM »

Pretty standard anti-white garbage.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »

How exactly does one "murder" an animal?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 03:47:31 PM »

Fair point.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 03:53:55 PM »

did u hear someone say that in line at burger king
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »

It forgot to mention the mass murder of animals babies.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 04:29:12 PM »

It forgot to mention the mass murder of Atlas posts in USGD
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »

It forgot to mention the mass murder of Atlas posts in USGD
Yep.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 05:29:36 PM »

did u hear someone say that in line at burger king

Brah, please I've never been to Burger King, but it might have been Arby's
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 07:55:31 PM »

the second half is all bull sh**t
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 10:24:05 PM »

Yes, communists still exist, unfortunately.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »

No. Future generations will look with disgust how you people supported forcing ten year-old rape victims to give birth and how you are then opposed to helping them in any way after the fact.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 10:25:26 AM »

Since the opposite experience could happen too, HP.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 06:47:10 PM »

By killing them?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 06:50:53 PM »

Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us with horror as imperialists and slaveholder equivalents. As consumers, we are perpetuating a global economic system that systematically oppressed people of color in faraway lands for our own convenience, and no one thinks twice about it. Every street corner has a person of color ignored and abandoned by their country and countrymen. Labor resembles an apartheid nation. Women of color are forced to care for white children so white women can have a leisurely professional career. Black servants are forced to bend to the whims of white money or risk their livelihood. We are all guilty and have no excuse for not questioning the status quo."

Is this a fair assessment of what silence allows to persist?

I think the quote in the thread title ("Our grandchildren will look at us as slaveholder equivalents") is probably true, because morality changes more quickly than people assume, but this whole paragraph is probably wrong, because it changes unpredictably and not in the direction that people expect.

Nothing strikes me more when I read the controversies of past ages than the fact that both sides were usually assuming without question a good deal which we should now absolutely deny. They thought that they were as completely opposed as two sides could be, but in fact they were all the time secretly united—united with each other and against earlier and later ages—by a great mass of common assumptions. We may be sure that the characteristic blindness of the twentieth century—the blindness about which posterity will ask, “But how could they have thought that?”—lies where we have never suspected it, and concerns something about which there is untroubled agreement between Hitler and President Roosevelt or between Mr. H. G. Wells and Karl Barth. None of us can fully escape this blindness.

(Indeed, consider that not only the Jim Crow South but also, like, southern Rhodesia fought against the Nazis and felt that alignment made perfect sense).

Whatever it is that people 100 years from now will hate us for, it is an attitude that Donald Trump and Joe Biden agree on and both consider uncontroversial.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 04:01:47 AM »

Murder is the killing of a human being. I understand that maroon avatars enjoy world-building, and that they often invent imaginative and wacky new definitions for preexisting words, but do try to be aware of when you’re speaking to those of us whose understanding of English is still grounded in reality.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 04:04:34 AM »

Murder is the killing of a human being. I understand that maroon avatars enjoy world-building, and that they often invent imaginative and wacky new definitions for preexisting words, but do try to be aware of when you’re speaking to those of us whose understanding of English is still grounded in reality.
I mean, it's possible to murder non-human beings. Case in point: it is possible to murder the English language.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 07:58:26 AM »

Frankly, these kinds of statements tend to be made by overly cynical and censorious types (the kinds of people who make me think Jordan Peterson had a point about "woke moralists"), but to me, it should be actually read as a hopeful statement? Like, I hope that one day our moral sensibilities will have evolved enough that the everyday forms of barbarity we tolerate today will seem intolerable to our future selves. That would be a reassuring sign that humanity can continue to progress, not just materially, but morally as well. The idea that this should be used to indict us is ridiculous, though. We don't choose to be born at a particular time in history, and while we bear some responsibility for the things we directly choose to do, most of our everyday choices are dictated by forces far beyond out control (and yes, vegans, that includes things like eating meat if you've been socialized in a way that made meat into a fundamental part of your diet - most people aren't able to change that on a dime). This impulse to guilt individual for systemic injustices is an abject failure of modern leftist thinking and is a big part of why we come off as insufferable.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »

What do you get out of pretending to be stupid?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 11:26:10 AM »

What do you get out of pretending to be stupid?

Make stupid comments, get stupid replies.
LBJer
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »

The word "murder" is used in two basic ways.  One is as a legal term, and the other is as a personal moral judgment.  You are using the first definition, and according to that one you are correct.  However, the second definition of murder is much more subjective, and using that one, a person might well view the killing of animals for reasons s/he considers unjust to be murder.  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies