SB 113-30: Refugee Fairness Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:06:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 113-30: Refugee Fairness Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 113-30: Refugee Fairness Act (Passed)  (Read 1209 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:00:49 PM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »

The problem with the proposed act is that I more believe in getting rid of the Cuban refugee benefits instead of extending those to other groups of people.

Secondly, the act starts from the notion that there are no refugee advantages or good treatment for refugees for other demographic groups / nationalities, which I believe IIRC is false.

I'm open to immigration / refugee reform, but something like "extending Cuban benefits to other people" is intentionally vague, while the act does not describe the current status for refugees in Atlasia or for Cuban-Atlasians and i would need more background information to have a better call on that. Currently i do not believe this is a great act, and i plan to vote nay on it.

IMO it would be better if the Cuban Adjustment Act would be reformed or even repealed.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2023, 11:24:36 AM by Senator Laki »

Proposed amendment

Refugee Fairness Act

1. As used in this bill, the term migrant refers to any person who comes to is legally authorized to gain asylum in Atlasia who is fleeing violence and instability in their home country.

2. Any migrant can receive the same benefits that Cubans receive as stated in 8 USC ch. 12, subch. II § 1255, also known as the Cuban Adjustment Act.

1. To ensure every refugee is treated fairly and equally, the 8 USC ch. 12, subch. II § 1255, also known as the Cuban Adjustment Act will be repealed

I'm open to immigration reform or a differently written act that would be according to the needs of Atlasia to counteract this change.

Furthermore the Cuban Adjustment Act is a 50 year old act (enacted by former republic USA) and not relevant today. Or at least does not warrant a special treatment for Cuban citizens as opposed to muslim citizens or central American citizens.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:45 AM »

Aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon