SR 113-24: Judicial Reform Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:28:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 113-24: Judicial Reform Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: SR 113-24: Judicial Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 3528 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2023, 02:16:43 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2023, 03:04:50 PM by YE »

Turnover for the sake of turnover is a bad idea and makes the game more exclusive by driving them from office (although really this applies to the original version of this amendment but I’m pointing it out here because that’s a sentiment).

And do you guys actually want people GOTVing for judicial elections? BECAUSE THIS WILL HAPPEN AND DON’T CRY ABOUT IT WHEN IT DOES. Especially if the election is in the off-month?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2023, 02:55:15 PM »

Turnover for the sake of turnover is a bad idea and makes the game less exclusive by driving them from office (although really this applies to the original version of this amendment but I’m pointing it out here because that’s a sentiment).

And do you guys actually want people GOTVing for judicial elections? BECAUSE THIS WILL HAPPEN AND DON’T CRY ABOUT IT WHEN IT DOES. Especially if the election is in the off-month?

The game being "less exclusive" is a good thing. If you meant "more exclusive", that would not be the result. More people getting to hold jobs over time is by definition more inclusive. As for GOTV, that's part of the game.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »

Proposed Amemdment. 24 Hours for objections.

i. The term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire automatically upon sixty days after ratification.

ii. The term of the next two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire thirty one hundred twenty days after the expiration of the term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices; and thenafter every subsequent thirt days the term of the next most senior Justice or Associate Justice shall expire in descending order of seniority until all Justices and Associate Justices on the Supreme Court shall have served for fewer than two consecutive years.

5. Each April Beginning May of 2024 and every subsequent May thereafter, all justices of the Supreme Court shall be subject to a retention election. It shall be a national election for the Chief Justice and Junior Federal Judge, and a regional election for each of the regional justices. It shall be a simple Yes/No question on retaining the judge. If the judge is not retained, they shall leave the Supreme Court thirty days after the election. A replacement for them can be appointed and confirmed any time after the election is held, and they will take office once the thirty days conclude (or immediately if such days have already concluded). If a judge is not retained, they may not be reappointed for a period of six months after the election is held.

We should do a more on-month for the retention elections, rather than something that is otherwise just some sleepy Fremont elections. Perhaps April or August?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2023, 03:15:05 PM »

I'm not going to continue to argue with blackraisin who thinks that I'm being some criminal because I'm holding an office for 7 years that literally NO ACTIVE  PLAYER WANTS.

This is an unverifiable statement. To any common observer before now, you were intent on occupying the position forever and basically impossible to remove. Therefore, anyone interested would see no value in expressing that interest because it would not result in them achieving anything. People are not going to waste their breath over an impossible to obtain position.

Now that we have opened the doors to new justices, such interest is being allowed to appear and I believe will appear in due time.

This reminds me of Tack being like "Well I thought it was Kaiser or bust" during the Lincoln nomination. Then he got names provided to him by various sources, and in the end we got a nominee who didn't have Kansas Crisis baggage (even if there were some nefarious tactics behind the scenes) that we could all feel decent about voting for. Sometimes you just need to open up your windows and look around.
It is a verifiable take. I won a presidential election remember? And I was looking to find someone to replace me.

There were only three candidates interested: talleyrand, Oak and Siren and all of them weren't active players
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 03:21:59 PM »

I'm not going to continue to argue with blackraisin who thinks that I'm being some criminal because I'm holding an office for 7 years that literally NO ACTIVE  PLAYER WANTS.

This is an unverifiable statement. To any common observer before now, you were intent on occupying the position forever and basically impossible to remove. Therefore, anyone interested would see no value in expressing that interest because it would not result in them achieving anything. People are not going to waste their breath over an impossible to obtain position.

Now that we have opened the doors to new justices, such interest is being allowed to appear and I believe will appear in due time.

This reminds me of Tack being like "Well I thought it was Kaiser or bust" during the Lincoln nomination. Then he got names provided to him by various sources, and in the end we got a nominee who didn't have Kansas Crisis baggage (even if there were some nefarious tactics behind the scenes) that we could all feel decent about voting for. Sometimes you just need to open up your windows and look around.
It is a verifiable take. I won a presidential election remember? And I was looking to find someone to replace me.

There were only three candidates interested: talleyrand, Oak and Siren and all of them weren't active players

Fair point, but then again that was two years ago.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »

Fair point, but then again that was two years ago.
Wulfric,
For the love of god. I'm not even trying to save my seat on the bench because believe me or not I have thinking of retiring for the last few months (I have been extremely busy and it's getting worse lol).

I know how this game works, and this kind of supreme court Seat IS absolutely unappealing for active players.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2023, 03:30:55 PM »

I withdraw my first proposed amendment and offer the following amendment. 24 Hours for objections on this amendment.

i. The term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire automatically upon sixty days after ratification.

ii. The term of the next two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire thirty one hundred twenty days after the expiration of the term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices; and thenafter every subsequent thirt days the term of the next most senior Justice or Associate Justice shall expire in descending order of seniority until all Justices and Associate Justices on the Supreme Court shall have served for fewer than two consecutive years.

5. Each April Beginning August of 2024 and every subsequent August thereafter, all justices of the Supreme Court shall be subject to a retention election. It shall be a national election for the Chief Justice and Junior Federal Judge, and a regional election for each of the regional justices. It shall be a simple Yes/No question on retaining the judge. If the judge is not retained, they shall leave the Supreme Court thirty days after the election. A replacement for them can be appointed and confirmed any time after the election is held, and they will take office once the thirty days conclude (or immediately if such days have already concluded). If a judge is not retained, they may not be reappointed for a period of six months after the election is held.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2023, 03:36:09 PM »

I will never vote for "democratizing the judiciary". The Judiciary has to be independent of the unruly masses in order to reign in democratic excesses.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2023, 03:38:26 PM »

Spiral amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2023, 03:39:26 PM »

Also, I cannot help but note that we run risk of diminution of the judiciary branch as a result of anger manifest against Labor shenanigans and chaos.

Color me shocked!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2023, 03:40:28 PM »

Also, I cannot help but note that we run risk of diminution of the judiciary branch as a result of anger manifest against Labor shenanigans and chaos.

Color me shocked!
Oh come on.
For once that I didn't do anything controversial Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »

I will object to both WB's and Blarite's Amendments.

I may very well propose some amendments myself though later on
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2023, 03:47:05 PM »

Objections noted. To keep us from possibly missing votes, and since we are currently voting on another amendment I will open  these amendment votes when the other amendment vote closes tomorrow, while discission continues.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2023, 04:02:59 PM »

Objections noted. To keep us from possibly missing votes, and since we are currently voting on another amendment I will open  these amendment votes when the other amendment vote closes tomorrow, while discission continues.

Voting on another amendment? Is that in this thread, I am not seeing where?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2023, 04:16:43 PM »

Voting on another amendment? Is that in this thread, I am not seeing where?

He's referring to votes ongoing on other legislation (i.e. don't have every thread voting at once).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2023, 04:26:06 PM »

Color me shocked!
Oh come on.

This is a multitude of chickens coming home to roost.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2023, 04:27:20 PM »

Color me shocked!
Oh come on.

This is a multitude of chickens coming home to roost.
But yes, I am victim in some way of my dark legend Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2023, 11:53:37 PM »

My 2 amendments are adopted.

Amendment votes are now open on the Blairite Amendment and the Weatherboy Amendment for 72 hours or until everyone votes, whichever occurs first. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Blairite Amendment:

4. The term for any Supreme Court Justice or Associate Justice that, at the time this amendment is ratified, exceeds two consecutive years, shall expire as follows:

i. The term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire sixty days after ratification.

ii. The term of the next two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire one hundred twenty days after the expiration of the term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices.

Weatherboy Amendment:

Section 1. The Judiciary.

2. The Justices and Associate Justices thus chosen shall hold their offices for life in good behavior for a renewable term of two consecutive years; however no person shall be reappointed to the Supreme Court until at least ninety days have passed since their previous term as Justice or Associate Justice.

3. The President shall designate a Chief Justice from among the appointed Justices, who shall continue in that capacity until such time as they shall resign the designation, or else cease to be a member of the Supreme Court.

4. The term for any Supreme Court Justice or Associate Justice that, at the time this amendment is ratified, exceeds two consecutive years, shall follow a process as follows:expire as follows:

i. The term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire sixty days after ratification.

ii. The term of the next two most senior Justices or Associate Justices shall expire one hundred twenty days after the expiration of the term of the two most senior Justices or Associate Justices.

i. All Justices or Associate Justices who have served for more then two consecutive years shall be placed before their respective confirming legislative bodies for re-confirmation to a new 2-year term. The Associate Justice from the South shall be placed before the Southern Chamber of Delegates or similar Southern Regional legislature, the Associate Justice from Lincoln shall be placed before the Lincoln General Court or similar Lincolnite Regional legislature, the Associate Justice from Fremont shall be placed before the Fremont Parliament or similar Fremonter Regional legislature, and the At-large Justices shall be placed before the Senate. Should they fail to be re-confirmed, a new justice must be selected by the means outlined in Section 1, Subsection 1 of Article V of the Constitution.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 12:17:02 AM »

Nay on both
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 09:52:32 AM »

Aye on Both
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 12:30:34 PM »

Nay on both
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2023, 12:34:22 PM »

Nay on 1, Aye on 2
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 12:45:06 PM »

Nay on 1, Aye on 2
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »

I'll vote Aye on 2 Nay on 1
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »

In the case of Death of someone on the court, and assuming that they do not resign before it or someone they know after it, does that seat ever become vacant? Or is it still held by them despite the fact that it should be vacant?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies